Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

70.3 Lake Placid suggestion

Hi All,

First timer here so please let me know if this has been posted before or moved to a different thread.

This September will be my first 70.3 race and first time to Lake Placid. Wanted to see if anyone had advice or tips specifically around the cold.

Thanks!

Josh

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Josh Henderson Lake Placid weather be variable. I've only done the IM race in July but looking at average temperatures for September are between 44 and 66-70f in a couple quick searches. If it's colder than that and in to the 30's you will need to take some time in T1 to gear up. Also sunny versus raining will make worlds of difference. The descent will be cold about 1 hour in most likely either way.

Having a towel to dry off can help but putting on layers while wet can be challenging. I come from Canada so my definition of cold is a little skewed but have some long figured gloves, socks or toe warmers depending upon how cold and arm warmers and possible a jacket. If raining some have a throw away rain jacket.

If its colder you might want to consider a beanie, something for the legs. The catch is as it warms up you have to remove/ditch some stuff so finding the balance is important without piling on too many clothes.

Also make sure you have enough gear prior to race start you don't want to get cold prior to the race.

• Options

I would be thinking about ways of staying warm through keene and being able to toss stuff at an AS. Ideally you want form fitting stuff that won't slow you down, remmber you must ditch AT the AS, or it's a littering foul..

consider shopping on facebook groups like "online swap meet" for used bike jackets, etc.. be wiling to toss and never see again..

you will get warm on the flats to jay and then in all of your climbing after that.