Home General Training Discussions
Options

Effective Prep for Warm Race in Cold Climate

I live in MN and my A race this year is IMAZ. While Tempe will not be as hot and humid as Kona, it will be substantially warmer than Minnesota in late November. Temps will start to fall in late Sept, Oct, Nov and outdoor rides/ runs will be in conditions cooler than Arizona. I wanted to learn from the experts on the team as to what you’ve found successful, protocols you’ve tried that may not have been successful, along with some feedback on my current thinking. 

Sauna: Sauna sessions 2-3 weeks out post run, or ride, seem to be the most commonly referenced method for heat adaptation. My local gym has a sauna, but I do not like the treadmills they have and would prefer not to run on them. (If sauna is the most effective method folks have used, I could do second run of split run days at the gym) In lieu of running on the gym treadmills, I’ve considered sauna sessions post-swim in the last 3 weeks leading up to the race as perhaps better than nothing? I know my core temp will not be as elevated as after a ride or run so I may need to spend more time in the sauna, but thoughts on whether I’d get much benefit from this approach? 

Hot Shower/ Bath: I’ve read of athletes sitting in a hot shower or bath in place of a sauna post run/ ride. I’m assuming time in shower/ bath would be like the sauna protocol, 20-30 min? Has anyone used this method? Would this only be done the last 2-3 weeks as well or throughout the IM build?

Increase Temperature for Indoor Training: I have a trainer and treadmill set-up in my basement and can make that room warmer and also turn off my fan (I read Coach P's Cozumel report where he mentioned placing a space heater beside his treadmill)  However, I am unsure on how to get the most effectiveness out of this. For example, given lack of morning daylight and cooler temps I can see most of my long rides being completed indoors. Should I turn off the fan for an entire indoor session or only turn off for the last 60-90 minutes? Where is the most benefit? Similar question for long runs. For split runs, I’d likely do the morning session outside and then would have the option of the second run entirely inside without a fan. In conjunction, I could time my first run in the morning (and second run) to finish the last 3-5 miles inside w/o a fan for both. If I turn up the temp in my basement and go with no fan, is this something I should do in the heavy part of IM training when the volume is greatest or throughout the entire build?

I have been leaning towards the warmer room and no fan for most of the build to test my nutrition plan and to give myself time to adjust. I have a good feeling based on a recent 70.3, but I have not taken that out to ~5 hrs on the bike yet.

Other: Are there other methods you have used to good results?

Lastly, how have you balanced the need to get “heat” adapted with not over stressing your system while managing the larger, IM training load.  

Thanks in advance for any guidance and suggestions you may have!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Jeff Phillips I live and train in Washington State, and have raced IM Arizona 7 times, so this is based on my experience and nothing else.

My first comment is, IM AZ is NOT A HOT RACE. Not even close. Morning pre-race temperatures are routinely in the mid 50s that time of year. That, combined with the probable very low water temps this year (side note - the water temp in Tempe Town Puddle drops dramatically starting end of Oct/Early Nov, sometimes several degrees in a week. And the race is later this year, compared to most other years. I expect temp will be 60-62F), mean that many people will come out off the swim shivering, and will not warm up on the bike for some time. During the day, while the temps do climb into the 70s, the standard time (sun high point = noon) plus the shorter length of day (sun rise about 6:50, sunset about 5:40) mean that by the time you will be getting out on the run - the only time a warm day might affect you - it will be 2 PM or later, and the sun will be relatively low in the sky, as well as starting to be shaded by the buildings going up all along the river/"lake". And, the dryer air seems to let the day cool down quite pleasantly from about 4 PM onwards.

I have never found a need for extra cooling measures during the IM AZ run, even back in the years when I was doing 4:00 for the marathon starting @ 1:55 PM. Maybe a dose of water on the head during the first hour or so, but after that, nothing needed.

That said, it IS warmer than the 40s/50s I found myself training in the final month before the race. Did I do anything special to get ready for the race from a temperature perspective? No. At that slight increase over training weather, I think a well-trained athlete will have all the acclimitization needed just from increased skin capillaries and amped-up sweat glands - no special sauna protocols or training gimmicks needed.

Post race, I rarely heard athletes complaining of the day being too hot. But I have heard complaints about being cold on the swim, or during the first hour of the bike...

I think the hidden reason IM AZ is so popular is not that it's "flat" (that has its own drawbacks, fit for another conversation), but that the weather is so nominal. Little real wind, idyllic temperatures when it counts, during the run.

I think its best to be comfortable when training, especially when doing run and bike intervals indoors, so one can go as hard and fast as possible, to get the fullest training dose. And to stay warmer, rather than cooler on outdoor long rides, but not dressed so you're sweating for 5 hours, as you certainly won't be sweating or hot on the bike in AZ.

It's worked for me, FWIW, @ IM AZ, where I;ve had a lot of success over the years.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips , bearing in mind everything that @Al Truscott has said above, should you still feel the need to heat train, I have found that just 2x 30' runs a week on the treadmill (with the heater on to get my room to roughly same temp Ill be racing in) have worked really well for me, I run to the HR I want & NOT pace, that way I stress my body less. I start these 3 weeks out from the race.

• Options

agree with Al - no heat adaptations required. Plug and play!

• Options

I agree with Al on the fact that it won't be too hot, but would like to add that you should be more prepared for cold on the bike. There are many past experiences where people did not have the correct cold weather gear for the bike. The first year I spectated it snowed on the Beeline Highway and some of the riders came into T2 with frozen snot on their faces and the looked like zombies. The Beeline is where most of the biking takes place. The first lap especially may require arm warmers, vest/jacket and gloves.

A past member Betsy Kantor gave me a tip that she used. She would get the chemical hand warmers, activate them in the morning and duct tape them to a piece of cardboard. She put that in her T1 bag and put it under her race top for the first lap. This would block the wind and keep her warm. She would ditch it at an aid station when she warmed up on/after the first lap.

• Options

@Al Truscott @KARL BONNER @Dave Tallo @Gary Lewis Thank you all for your comments, these are great suggestions, especially about being cool out of the swim and early on the bike. Al, I appreciate your insights given your many successes at this venue over the years.

I suspect there is more to this course given Al's comments on the course profile -- I've read about many people biking too hard on the false flat up the Beeline and paying for it on the run.

• Options

YES IMAZ is usually an exercise in staying warm NOT trying to cool off. Having said that , one of these years will be a hot year (hope is this one). Even if its warm it will only be a few hours end of bike beginning of run.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips my 2 cents, but I lived in the Tempe area for 6 years and have raced that course (from sprint to HIM) more than 100 times. I haven't raced IMAZ, but I have been there from the start, and yes heavy sweatshirts and wool hats are the norm at the start. I would image that water temp is warmer than air temp at the start and when you get on the bike you will have goose bumps and be cold.

In AZ, no matter the time year, there is a potential of 90+ degrees. That being said the marathon could be hot as fuck. Remember you are in the desert, so scorpions, rattle snakes, and hot ass sun is the norm (but also freezing at night). Personally I find the desert sun feels much hotter, so 90 feels HOT.

Whatever your protocol is for heat acclimation, I would do it. Hopefully you wont need it. I disagree with @Al Truscott on the shade on the course. My take is that there is VERY little to no shade.

@Jeff Phillips again I have Never raced IMAZ or in late November in AZ. I have raced IMAZ 70.3 (not sure if that even exists anymore), which was a few weeks before IMAZ.

Good Luck!

• Options

All right before everyone starts worrying too much. Here is last year's temps:

2017 set a record in November as the hottest on record

The average high for the month was 82.9 degrees, the warmest ever and 7.4 degrees above normal for that statistic. The previous record was 82.3 degrees in November 1949.

The average low temperature was 59.5 degrees, also the warmest ever and 6.8 degrees above normal. That tops the record of 58.3 degrees in 2007.

The average temperature for the month was a record-setting 71.2 degrees, 7.1 degrees above normal. The previous record of 70 degrees was set in 2007.

This year has been a very dry summer. Last night was the first rain storm we had in August. We usually get the summer monsoon this time of year. It has been pretty humid but no rain. That typically means that we should have a hotter/extended fall season. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Lets see what October brings.

• Options

The average high in Tempe on Nov 24 is 72F. Over the last 12 years, there have been at least as many days when high was in the 60s as the 80s - spread of 60 (lowest hi) to 86. Sun sets @ 5:23 PM on Nov 24. Low in the sky and noticeably cooler, shadier on the second lap of the run.

Also, be aware of the probability of wind shift from the first to the third lap on the bike. Makes staying aero during that third lap very critical. Your race plan should have a strategy aimed at ensuring that - like periodic stretching/standing breaks. As well as multiple 5 hour aerobar rides in training. That's the downside of a "flat" course. Too much aerobar time without prep or some movement now and then leads to tight hp flexors on the run...

• Options

Thank you @Patrick Large @Gary Lewis @Al Truscott @tim cronk ! I appreciate the insights on the course and the Tempe weather. I will start watching the weather come October.