Home Racing Forum 🏎

Anna Stanbaugh Traverse City 70.3 Race Report

edited August 28, 2019 5:46PM in Racing Forum 🏎

My goals were as usual: finish, have fun and I was hoping for an improvement compared to previous races (even though I took a year off triathlon) 

Finished 6:21:12 PR by ca. 15 min 

I had late start to the training season because of trying to get well after several injuries from running and skiing. I started training in February. Last year, I focused on running, so I hadn’t biked for 1.5 years and hadn’t swam for about 2. So, I had to adjust the plan focusing on biking first and incorporating more and more running. I didn’t swim much as usual, but I did some Vasa workouts. 

Pre-Race:

Thursday: rode the first hill on the bike course with Rich 

Friday: 3 mi easy run 

Saturday: went to bed around 10:00 pm 

Race: Sunday morning: 

Wake-up 3:30 am, got ready, breakfast, off to transition with Rich: set up transitions, walked to swim start.

Swim: 49:39 (PR by ca. 1 min)

Seeded myself in the 42-45 group. I was hoping for a faster swim based on training swims and previous IM performance so I was a little disappointed. The swim was smooth and consistent. Not much contact. Not sure why I was so slow.  

T1: 06:24

Jogged to the bike, tried to get the sand off my feet, put on bike shirt, vest, arm warmers, socks, shoes, fixed my hair, put on the helmet, took a nap... (need to work on that…)

Bike: 3:23:28 

Based on my planned power and best bike split (3:20) about what expected. 

Target NP was easy until the first hill, then 150-170 on the hill, rest 125 NP (pushing 150 on hills 3-4% and up to 170 on 6-8%). I did OK on the bike. I considered pushing harder because it felt good, but I was worried about the run later and stuck to the plan. Bike course was busy with many inexperienced bikers and everybody was drafting the entire time! Head wind on the way back. Oh well. 

Nutrition: as planned: about 3+ bottles of Gatorade and 6 gels. 

My left knee started hurting last quarter of the bike for some reason and I wished I didn’t forget to put some Tylenol in my bike bag. 

T2: 03:23  

Got off the bike and couldn’t even walk: my left knee was killing me. I barely made it back to my spot. I thought that’s it for the race but decided to put on the running shoes and see if I can at least run/walk. 

Why are the bathrooms always behind you in T2? Who wants to go backwards???? I didn’t.

Run: 1:58:20 (thrilled!!! PR by 14 min on 70.3 and PR for stand-alone half marathon)

I was hoping to run 2:10 since I couldn’t train as much as I wanted or should have.  

Plan was power target 160-170 watts first 30 min, 170-180 up to mile 10, all I have left for the rest. 

After a bathroom, brake on mile 1 and some stretching to get the knee working and some Tylenol (I had that in my run bag at least), I was able to run. I was actually surprised how good it felt (aside from the knee). My knee got a little better and was mostly OK running flat or uphill, it was agony on the downhills though and forced me slow down (frustrating). 

I ran 160 w the first mile (including the stop), 180 until mile 7, 185 w until mile 13 and then about 200 for the rest. Negative split it by about 4 min. I was pacing behind a guy for the second loop (not on purpose but we seemed to be running the same pace) – he talked me through picked-up pace the last 1.5 miles and finished 

Thoughts about the run: I am a better runner after focusing only on running last year, my bike fit was adjusted (raised and moved forward the saddle) and my legs never felt so fresh after biking. Losing ca. 15lbs makes you faster   

Nutrition: Gatorade, 1 gel, water, coke, Gatorade (I was just winging it). 

I'm very happy about the race.

I finished 34th out of 131, according to Ironman - ObsTri has 127. Previously best place was 50-60th percentile – so big improvement! 

Big thanks to Rich for making me stronger on the bike, even though I did only half of his training plan - the other half would have probably killed me!

I know, I know: Rule #5

Comments

• @Anna Stanbaugh sorry you have a coach that is constantly trying to kill you. Although he maybe on to something? Either way its up to you to decide how much of that you can handle and by the results looks like you did an amazing job. Big congrats on that huge PR, specially coming off the bike with some knee issues, glad you kept going and it all worked out. How is the knee now you have had a bit of rest? Whats next? IMLOU?

• Thanks Tim. I know he is on to something but at definitely working, but you have to be able to take a lot of pain.

Knee is fine now. No idea what the problem was. No full IM for me in the near future. 😊

• Great recap of your race @Anna Stanbaugh ! It's so nice to be rewarded for hard work. Congratulations!

• Great race @Anna Stanbaugh ! I though the same things about the location of the porto potties in T2!

That was an awesome run off of a very hard bike course! Way to stick with it and keep moving forward!

Also, amazing that you were so close to your BBS predicted bike time. I would say that means you rode a very smart bike.

Great job and congratulations on a great race!

• Great Job @Anna Stanbaugh !

Not trying to kill you - promise! 😜