Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Karim Mohamed Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

2»

Comments

• Options

@karim mohamed

Karim, great to hear from you and even better that you thought the last two weeks seemed bit less than normal. That was by design!😀 That rest will help you get stronger and absorb all the work you have done for through the outseason. So it it great to hear that you felt it was a little less than normal. So you can feel a bit rested and ready to get after it for you next training block!👊

Your plan is loaded all the way up to IM Lake Placid now with the new 2020 plans. You have the latest and greatest in there now. Next you will do a 6 week bike focused block ending on the last week in March. Starting April you will being with a 4 week IM Prep block, followed by 12 weeks of race specific block in preparation for IM LP. Check out this video from Coach Patrick that explains IM prep and race specific next block:

Check out

Awesome work so far. Let us know what you think and how your training is going.

Let's get to work! Again!😂

• Options

thanks for the follow up.

Got it. I'm ready to work .. you know it ;)

I just have another question; i see a bike test on tuesday the 18th. how do i know if im testing ?? if i'm not mistaken i did a test not too long ago.. even though i'm not a big fan of FTP tests for obvious reasons🙄 I'd gladly do one if I have to 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@karim mohamed

There is a optional bike interval workout that day too - use that since you already tested. You will have a few more opportunities to test in the next few weeks. Use this week to get your head (and body) back into the intensity and interval mode.

• Options

Hi.

can you please let me know what effort i should target for tomorrow's Bike VO2 Short 1?

it says see coach notes for effort but nothing is there .

same issue with Bike VO2 long 1 for the 21th.

thanks

• Options

Matt.

not sure if you received my effort request a few min. ago.

i don't see it here in the thread

• Options
    I got it.
    Let me take a look.
  • Options

@karim mohamed

- Tuesday rides at 150% of FTP or higher;

- Thursday rides at 120% to 140% of FTP.

(Scroll down a little further on the workout and you'll see the comments)

A little extra insight, Tues are really short and hard. They will feel pretty close to max. The first time you do this - it is a bit of a learning curve. There is a bit of pacing involved for a 30 sec interval (believe it or not). We are looking for consistent effort across the entire set. So, look at your intervals and make some notes in your workout. We would like all the interval averages to be within +/- 10-15 Watts. Even better if you get higher watts at the end. Let me know what you think.

• Options

thanks!

i see it now!

it's clearly explained on the of 25th and 27th but not this week.

thanks again.

• Options

I'm sure you see how I move things around to accommodate a day off!

i hope that's OK.

i figured it can't be bad since I'm doing 2 sessions in one day and at time as a brick .. can't hurt 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@karim mohamed Nice work moving things around - we want you to find that schedule that works for you. Just keep in mind, we like to have a day in between the VO2 max days i.e. VO2max - ???? - VO2max. Avoid the back to back VO2max workouts. Those are pretty intense and over several weeks it might be hard to get the same quality done on the 2nd VO2 max day if they are always done back to back.

• Options

Hi.

I think my training plan doesn't have all my races factored in!

I have the GFNY in May 17, IM70. CT May 31, and Eagleman June 14th and all of these dates I have regular workouts without any mentioning of tapering or prepping for those dates.

I know I never mentioned I'm doing a half marathon on 03/22 but that was a last minute decision but I can live with that.

thoughts?

• Options

Hey Karim, Good to hear from you! We certainly can help you tailor your season roadmap. Tell us a bit more about your goals for those events.

Let's start with the GFNY 17 May. What distance do you plan to ride? The 50 miler will fit in well with the ABP ride that scheduled for that weekend, if you plan on the 100 miler could be a good opportunity for a challenge ride. Your Challenge ride is scheduled for the week after the GFNY (23 May) and could swap those weeks if need be.

What are your goals for IM CT and Eagleman? We certainly can work with you to modify your training as we get closer based on how you are feeling leading into those races and recovering too- keep in mind you have two race rehearsals for IM LP (20 June and 11 July).

• Options

Hi Matt.

go big or go home !! of course it's the 100 mile ;) LOL

my goal for that race is basically to shatter my 2 previous PB times. in 2016 I finished 8:43:02 and 2344 out of 2749, the following year i improved and I finished 7:48 and 1818 out of 2700.

this year I'd like to be in the sub7, I'm a much better cyclist now and I know i can do it!

as for IM70.3 CT, that's more of a training day/rehearsal for placid so it's a C race for me. i did that race multiple time (olympic distance) when it was ran by Rev3 and I even did it once while observing Ramadan! i know i'm crazy but I did it without water or nutrition and managed somehow to beat my first time in 2014 by almost 40 minutes.😎

finally; Eagleman is a do or die for me! I did it a few years ago without training and i finished with a horrible time, but this year I'm aiming at sub6 hours and top 20%, I know I can do it!!! so eagleman is my B race!

• Options

@karim mohamed

I modified your training in Final Surge to account for GFNY 17 May. The timing works well. GFNY will make a good opportunity for a challenge ride. We moved the challenge ride one week earlier and swapped it with the ABP rides. You have experience here, so remember to eat early and often. It will be super important for your ride and recovery. It would be great if you could still do the split run on Thurs leading into the GFNY. I modified the week leading into CT 70.3 31 May. The folllowing week of 1-14 June, I reduced the running intensity a bit, but it would be good if you could follow the plan but only do the level 1 workouts - depending on how you feel after the race. That will keep you on track for the IM plan, while preparing for Eagleman the next week. Please check in with us after the GFNY and after CT 70.3 if you need any help recovering and further help adjusting your schedule. Happy to help and would love to hear how GFNY and those races go!

• Options

thank you.

• Options

Anytime.

• Options

@karim mohamed

Hey Karim, great to hear from you! 😎 Crazy isn't it? I should be asking you?! How tough is it for you and your family?!

Replace the swimming with a about 30' of BIKE + body weight and core. We would prefer if you kept the running volume down, as it could add up over many weeks with unnecessary load on your legs and body. Biking is a better option to get the aerobic component of training and add the core + push up work to maintain shoulder and back strength. Use a routine like this:

That will keep you swim in maintenance mode, until we all get back in the water. Nice work getting your strides in today. Let me know what you think.

P.S. I posted our chat here so we can both remember.

--------------------------------------------

Karmin wrote via email:

Hi Matt.

Hope this email finds you and your family well.

I know last week I was a major disappointment.. but the atmosphere was really depressing and discouraging.

I’m about to head out for today’s run stride and I was looking at this week’s plan and I see that I should be swimming, but obviously that’s not feasible now due to the virus.

What you suggest I should do instead ? Amp up my running and cycling and hopefully as we get closer “and if venue/s are not cancelled) get my swim in ?

I’m no Michael Phillips but I’m comfortable in any body of water and I know I can do the distance without having to worry about not breaking any worlds records 🤣🤣

• Options
    Hi.
    sorry but for some reason I can’t log in to endurancenation.us

all good here , thanks for asking.
    it’s manageable so far. let’s hope it gets better soon.
    so; today IM announced the IMCT70.3 cancellation, Eagleman 70.3 is 2 weeks after and to be honest it’s not looking good either.
    I’m gonna start to prepare myself mentally for IMLP cancellation as well.
    that being said; if indeed IMLP gets cancelled, what should I do training wise so I don’t over train and also don’t lose my fitness.

thanks
    Karim

On Mar 30, 2020, at 8:11 PM, matt limbert > wrote:

[Endurance Nation Community]

@karim mohamed

Hey Karim, great to hear from you! 😎 Crazy isn't it? I should be asking you?! How tough is it for you and your family?!

Replace the swimming with a about 30' of BIKE + body weight and core. We would prefer if you kept the running volume down, as it could add up over many weeks with unnecessary load on your legs and body. Biking is a better option to get the aerobic component of training and add the core + push up work to maintain shoulder and back strength. Use a routine like this:

Dryland Routine.pdf

That will keep you swim in maintenance mode, until we all get back in the water. Nice work getting your strides in today. Let me know what you think.

P.S. I posted our chat here so we can both remember.
  • Options

@karim mohamed If IMLP is cancelled or postponed. We have several options. We can transition to a: Half plan (either Minimalist, or Bike focused), or Bike Specificity, Get Faster plans (like the OutSeason with bike intensity and some swimming) or Run Durability. We can see what goals you have and what you want to work on. You start the IM race specific block in 1st week in May. Until then you have IM prep block, which is lower in intensity but starts to build in volume which is an appropriate place to be right now. That will set you up for a the IM race specific build and not overload you. So, we have options and can make those calls when we hear about LP and chat more about what you want to work on.

Thanks for the note about your account. Can you drop a note using the red circle "+" chat button. Brenda and Patrick handle the account, password and access stuff. Just give a short description of the problem Enduranceantion.us login or forums access and they will sort it out.

How does that sound?

• Options
    Sounds like a plan :)
    Thanks again

On Mar 31, 2020, at 5:37 PM, matt limbert wrote:

@karim mohamed If IMLP is cancelled or postponed. We have several options. We can transition to a: Half plan (either Minimalist, or Bike focused), or Bike Specificity, Get Faster plans (like the OutSeason with bike intensity and some swimming) or Run Durability. We can see what goals you have and what you want to work on. You start the IM race specific block in 1st week in May. Until then you have IM prep block, which is lower in intensity but starts to build in volume which is an appropriate place to be right now. That will set you up for a the IM race specific build and not overload you. So, we have options and can make those calls when we hear about LP and chat more about what you want to work on.

Thanks for the note about your account. Can you drop a note using the red circle "+" chat button. Brenda and Patrick handle the account, password and access stuff. Just give a short description of the problem Enduranceantion.us login or forums access and they will sort it out.

How does that sound?
  • Options

@karim mohamed Thanks for the survey response! Staying alive is key to doing IMLP!😂 We don't have a vaccine, but being a super fit guy has to help. You mentioned swimming fitness as a challenge - yeah totally get that - did you get a chance to try that dry land core or cords stuff? Do we need to look for something else that appeals to you more? What do you think?

• Options

my training load dropped as you can see.

not having a steady work routine is a little bit unsettling.. I should be back on track promptly.

I didn't get a chance to check the dry land workout, but i will check it out.. I'm not really concerned about the swimming part i just want to get back again to my routine.

• Options

@karim mohamed Your are super disciplined and focused, I know you will get back on a routine that works for you, making some tweaks and improvements everyday. Experiment a little bit with timing. It might not be your "normal" time for a run or bike - but it might work now. You most likely know if you are a "morning" person or not. So, try a new routine set the schedule - then optimize it over the next few days.

• Options
    Really appreciate the way you think of me and I’ll do everything in my ability to live up to it:)
    That being said: I did today’s workout but for some reason FS is not syncing.. “see below”
    [cid:F83E30C3-EBF5-480A-962C-D30893211BD2-L0-001]

On Apr 2, 2020, at 8:27 PM, matt limbert wrote:

@karim mohamed Your are super disciplined and focused, I know you will get back on a routine that works for you, making some tweaks and improvements everyday. Experiment a little bit with timing. It might not be your "normal" time for a run or bike - but it might work now. You most likely know if you are a "morning" person or not. So, try a new routine set the schedule - then optimize it over the next few days.
  • Options

@karim mohamed You look good in Final Surge now! I see two data points there for the same 15-mile ride. You can delete one of them.

• Options

@karim mohamed Always good to hear from you! Ramadan Mubarak. We have been impressed with your consistency and discipline over the last few weeks. Nice job! You found a schedule and workout pattern that fit your new stay at home situation. Thanks for checking in. You have the experience to adjust your training during Ramadan. Please, take it easy. Even the easiest workouts more challenging over the next few weeks.

I got your email and thought I would reply here just to keep you, me, and Coach Patrick all on the the same plan. I didn't hear about Eagleman - thanks for the update! Coach Patrick had a call with IM yesterday and IM is really calling audibles on all these events and they recognize they need to do a better job of timing the cancellations or announcing the postponements. IM didn't offer any super secret update. We are all in the wait and see category.

I got your input for your next training block. "at this point I’d like to adjust my training plan to maintain my fitness until a further notice on races, with focus on mainly running 3-4 days a week, one day indoor cycling and weekend long “mainly” outdoor rides and off the bike runs. I’m currently fasting so I’m only running a few miles in the morning with slow pace and on weekends I do my long rides with very low intensity. Once the fast is over everything will get back to normal training wise."

I loaded up a Balanced Durability plan that ends 31 May and then a Durability for Triathletes ending 28. June. The Balanced Durability Plan has the structure you are looking for, without the intensity. It has 3-4 runs a week, an easy bike, and longer bike on the weekend with a long run every other weekend. The next block block Durability for Triathletes picks up the intensity a bit with Tempo runs and more intervals on the bike. We think that is a good way to transition back to more intensity and volume. These two blocks will help you maintain your fitness while the race opportunities sort themselves.

Take a look in Final Surge and let us known what you think.

• Options
    Matt.
    Thank you so much .. Ramadan Mubarak ;)

I feel more comfortable with that plan setup till we see whats going on in the world ;)
    Sorry to send you an email here, I don't know if it's me or the thread is not mobile friendly!
    I cant seem to be able to access it on my phone or ipad, only on my desktop and i rarely sit on it.
    When it comes to consistency I must say; the consistency police has not checked on me in April at all!
    by far it is the worst month for me “training wise” but Im happy that I started May strong and I have a better idea of what to expect. I guess I wasnt reliable during the month of April due to the uncertainty all over.
    Once again thank you for the plan.
    Stay safe and talk to you soon.

Sent from my iPad

On May 1, 2020, at 12:24 PM, matt limbert wrote:

@karim mohamed Always good to hear from you! Ramadan Mubarak. We have been impressed with your consistency and discipline over the last few weeks. Nice job! You found a schedule and workout pattern that fit your new stay at home situation. Thanks for checking in. You have the experience to adjust your training during Ramadan. Please, take it easy. Even the easiest workouts more challenging over the next few weeks.

I got your email and thought I would reply here just to keep you, me, and Coach Patrick all on the the same plan. I didn't hear about Eagleman - thanks for the update! Coach Patrick had a call with IM yesterday and IM is really calling audibles on all these events and they recognize they need to do a better job of timing the cancellations or announcing the postponements. IM didn't offer any super secret update. We are all in the wait and see category.

I got your input for your next training block. "at this point I’d like to adjust my training plan to maintain my fitness until a further notice on races, with focus on mainly running 3-4 days a week, one day indoor cycling and weekend long “mainly” outdoor rides and off the bike runs. I’m currently fasting so I’m only running a few miles in the morning with slow pace and on weekends I do my long rides with very low intensity. Once the fast is over everything will get back to normal training wise."

I loaded up a Balanced Durability plan that ends 31 May and then a Durability for Triathletes ending 28. June. The Balanced Durability Plan has the structure you are looking for, without the intensity. It has 3-4 runs a week, an easy bike, and longer bike on the weekend with a long run every other weekend. The next block block Durability for Triathletes picks up the intensity a bit with Tempo runs and more intervals on the bike. We think that is a good way to transition back to more intensity and volume. These two blocks will help you maintain your fitness while the race opportunities sort themselves.

Take a look in Final Surge and let us known what you think.
  • Options

@karim mohamed I'm glad you like the new plan. Contact me anyway that works for you. 😀 I'll post here too just to keep us all on track.

• Options

@karim mohamed

Wrote:

Hi.

I’m in a bit of pickle here and I need help.

so i got an email today that eagleman is now scheduled for 09/19/2020/ which is a week from IMAC on 09/13/2020

i changed my registration from IMCT to IMAC because it was canceled, but now these 2 races are back to back.

thoughts?

mind you we are still in the dark when it comes to placid.

I did back to back 70.3 a few years ago, but i don’t really think it’s the best approach.

i’m leaning more towards eagleman.

let me know what you think

thanks

-- -- - --- -- --- --

Karim,

Good to hear from you.

I agree with you.

A back to back 70.3's is a bit excessive and doesn't sound like your kind of fun

We can start the HIM bike focused plan 28 June. That gives you a few weeks post-Ramadan to get back to your normal routine before starting the build for either 70.3

I know IMLP is still out there, I expect we will hear in the 45-50 days out. Which would put us post-Ramadan and the first week of June.

While we don't have any inside info, we can see that Lake Placid and Essex County will have government meetings in late May and early June.

They will have to make decisions on July 4rth and other summer events soon. So we expect some resolution on IMLP.

In the meantime, I have loaded the HIM Bike focused plan starting 28 June. That will give you a full 12 weeks of prep before Eagleman or AC.

Which one are you more interested in? Can you do one and defer to next year with the other?

How does that sound?

Matt

PS. Added to your coach thread too