Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

Coach Lesson: Refining Your Taper

Great coach lesson last night, thank you to all who attended: @Derrek Sanks @Robert Sabo @Rory Gumina @Sheila Leard @Jeff Phillips And others!

The topic was refining your taper and what are the key elements that you can use to personalize how you use the standard Endurance Nation plan (or roll your own).

Key Taper Personalization Points are:

• Your Training Execution
  • Your Fitness Level
  • Your Event Distance
  • Your Size & Age
  • Your Ability to Process Fatigue

You can watch the presentation here in the forums (Below) or on our Coach Lesson Page here.

Please put Any and All Taper Questions in this thread! πŸ‘‚

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Solid recap coach. Not being able to run - at all - has changed my training and might have impacts on my Kona taper.

• My total training time is UP but only because it takes so much longer to walk than to run.
    • My weight is up 5 lbs but I am passing the mirror and waist size tests. I am speculating that I'm no longer in a constant state of dehydration from running through the summer.
    • I'm pushing my last long walk - 5 hours - this Saturday. That's 18 miles. "Speed" walking just doesn't have the same impact on you as running so I've thrown out that 2.5 to 3 hour max run rule.

For Kona I am starting my taper 2.5 weeks out. Pretty much I'm following the usual taper approach for biking and swimming with the exception I have an unavoidable 3 day training hole starting at that 2.5 week mark. So I am treating those 3 days off as the starting point for this taper and I'll be sticking in what training I can in the last 2 weeks targeting freshness without losing too much fitness.

I hate coming to Kona just to walk the entire marathon, but it is what it is.