Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Elizabeth Harrison Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes [Click to Watch the Video]

Your Races

• 09/22/19 Asheville CX REEB Ranch
  • 10/19/2019 Fonta Flora Barn Burner

Your Notes

Hi! I have taken a hiatus from racing in the last few years. In the past, I have raced road (criterium), cyclocross (this is the most racing I have done), and completed one cross-country mountain bike race. Right now I don't feel like I'm in racing shape at all, though I have been riding more frequently on the trails. Honestly I'm struggling to find the time and energy for training and hope that this program gives me a boost!I am always doing something, so I feel I'm in average shape - though not in racing shape. I make it to maybe one or two CrossFit classes a month, and in between that, I walk, jog, and cycle. I try to get a tempo ride in at least once a week, but it doesn't always happen - I've been doing mostly mountain biking lately because of the heat and timing of road rides. Sometimes the rides are high-intensity because the people I ride with are faster than me. 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on September 12, 2019

• On 9/9/2019  Load the  -- MTB Plan, 75-Mile Event (12 Weeks) to end on 10/20/2019

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hey Elizabeth,

Yes!

2x Yes!

I watched the video and checked out the course for Barn Burner. Super cool! I have done some mountain biking and gravel racing myself this year. Love it!

This plan will give you the structure you are looking to get ready for these next two races. So, I'm here to help you get up to speed with your plan, transition from the work you have done so far to your training plan.

I can help you modify the week so that it works with your schedule (fitting in the group rides you like or cross-fit etc), explain workout terminology, and show you all of our other resources. I'll send some links to articles, forums or coach videos that apply to your training. I encourage you to look around and let me know what you are interested in. There are ton of videos, coach lessons and forums that are available to you now.

First,Here are some easy steps to get the most out of your training plan, Coach Thread, EN learning library and Final Surge. Get smarter to get faster.

First, Power user tip! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See video here to set it up: 

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc . Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your race. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Just a quick not goes a long way.

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible!

Chat with me here in (in your Coach Thread) or schedule a call here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Talk with you soon.

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Elizabeth, Did you subscribe to your Coach Thread?

• Options

Hi again! Do I answer Coach P's Homework here? I couldn't figure out how to reply directly to his first message... :-/

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success? This season will feel successful if I make it to at least one race. :)
    • What's your biggest limiter right now? Time! Second would be financial resources (to pay for new gear and race entries).

• Options

Yes, you do answer right here so we save a record of everything!

You can highlight your typed words and format them like this. OR like this.

Thank you!!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thank you to both Matt and Coach P! I appreciate the help - I know my training plan was a bit tricky.

I do have a quick question: If I don't get the planned ride in on the day, can I move it to the next day? For example, today I didn't get to the intervals, so can I do them tomorrow and rest on Tuesday?

This weekend was kind of a wash with not making the planned endurance ride Saturday. I'm very unsure of racing this weekend. I looked back at my power a few years ago, at the beginning of my race season, and I was at 2.9 w/kg. Right now I'm around 2.4. That said, if I chose not to race this weekend, how will that affect my plan?

I scheduled a call with Matt tomorrow - looking forward to it! Thank you so much, Eliz

• Options

Matt can answer the specifics...honestly I think you should race anyway. It will be fun, challenging, social and ultimately...good motivation for getting better! 💪

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited September 16, 2019 3:43PM

Elizabeth, super great to hear from you. I'm with Patrick! 🚵💪 Racing has a lot of upside - its cross - you only get to do that at this time of year. And its cross, did I say that already, that's super cool. No expectations racing can be the most fun!

Your question about moving the workout: Yes, typically you can move it to the next day. In this case - you are entering the taper week, so if you do move it. Drop Tuesday's Big Gear intervals and take the recovery day, then execute the rest of the week as planned going into the race.

Or

Execute the week as planned.

In your case, because you are going into the taper week, we only need one big power/VO2 workout in the next few days. You can decide.

How does that sound?

• Options

@Elizabeth Harrison We also have a GroupMe (group text chat channel) for:

Gravel (covers all things cyclocross & gravel riding)

and another one for

Leadville (covers all things mountain biking)

I sent you invitations to join both if you are interested.

• Options

Thank you! Great talking with you today, @matt limbert! Quick question: The shop is still working on my road bike - is there a way to simulate the intervals I moved to today if I don't get it back? On a mountain bike maybe? Or, does it make more sense to take the scheduled rest day and get back on the schedule for tomorrow?

• Options

Nevermind - they just called! :)

• Options

Elizabeth,

The VO2 workout will be easier to do on the MTB - it is essentially be 10x 1' max sprints with 1' recovery. That should be easy to find a 1' hill or open road to knock those out. Your call - today or tomorrow. Ha! You just got the note from the shop.

Move the workouts around to fit your schedule - just click and drag them. If you miss a day - pick up where you left off. Here is some guidance if you need to modify a workout:

WorkOut Triage

If you need to modify a workout, we suggest, in order:

1. Cut the Interval Length but Keep the Intensity. IOW if 2 x 15' on the bike isn't working for you, can you do 3x10 with more rest or 4x7.5, etc.

2. Do the Time but Drop the Intensity. If #1 doesn't work, then get in your 2x15' at .9 or .85 instead.

3. Do the Time Only. If #2 doesn't work, then just get your 45-60 minutes done.

4. If You have Zero Motivation and #3 is Wicked Unappealing, Do Nothing. Stretch, core, etc is okay but take the day. Better to save now than pay later.

From a macro level perspective you'll want to check in on your quality of sleep, nutrition, wellness to make sure this isn't a bigger issue.

Zwift

Start with the video in the middle of the Zwift section titled "Watch the Intro to Zwift Video with Tim Sullivan

Also, Coach Patrick did his own Coach Chat video about Zwift here:

Post workout comments:

Weather/conditions? How you felt physically or any aches (fresh, strong, good, tired, bleh? How you felt mentally (happy, focused, relaxed, distracted by ...., angry, tired.. whatever)? Nutrition (if it was a long ride). List one thing you learned or you will do different next time.

Here is what one of mine looks like: Sunny,80-90, super hot Chula Vista MTB ride. Rode w/Lesley. She crushed me up hill. Felt good enough, good sustained power. Still have some work to do. Would like to come back and ride the climb again. Good focus while climbing, totally present. Distracted while descending easy. Kinda boring. Next time, work the middle section climb w/ the lower grade and pay more attention while descending - technique always - even if if it "boring" crashing is slow.

Blue Ridge Camp

Super fun to talk with you today.

Chat with me here or schedule another call: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

• Options

Thank you thank you! Will look at this after the ride. Another quick Q: For intervals today, 140% of FTP (if 141 is my FTP) would be 197? I'm terrible at math... This seems high and doesn't fit into one of the zones listed based on my FTP, so I feel like I'm calculating this wrong. :-?

• Options
    This is totally your thing - crit style! Your math is good. Yes, that is
    high power and really outside your standard zones. They are intended to be
    max sprint intervals. We started to include these shorter max effort
    intervals - because they really help with the neuromuscular power and
    developing good pedaling technique. This is good chance to make some notes
    on "how you sprint" and how the set of 10 goes. You can use a rolling
    start, start standing and transition to seated if you need/want to. You
    will quickly see how your starting spike in power helps/hurts you for the
    interval.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 2:05 PM Elizabeth Harrison <
    teamenforums+d26062-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Elizabeth Harrison commented on Elizabeth Harrison Official Coach Thread
    > [PlanEN]
    >
    > Thank you thank you! Will look at this after the ride. Another quick Q:
    > For intervals today, 140% of FTP (if 141 is my FTP) would be 197? I'm
    > terrible at math... This seems high and doesn't fit into one of the zones
    > listed based on my FTP, so I feel like I'm calculating this wrong. :-?
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/278657#Comment_278657
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

Hi @matt limbert or @Coach Patrick or @Brenda Ross - I have synced my Strava with Final Surge (Garmin/Device Upload), but I'm not seeing my workouts come through on the calendar. Is there a step I missed??

• Options

@Elizabeth Harrison I'm on it. I asked the Final Surge guys to take a look a your account. They are pretty responsive. I'll get back to you soon.

• Options

@Elizabeth Harrison The Final Surge folks said everything is set up correctly. You did everything right. They manually forced a sync with Strava and your workout data populated in Final Surge. So, it should be good now. Please let me know if you have a problem again. Sorry about that.

• Options

How did it go this weekend?

@Elizabeth Harrison

• Options

Hi @matt limbert! I'm just trying to catch up. The race was pretty rough - definitely a wake-up call. I'll send more of a recap tonight. I also need to catch up with my training calendar. I've had to deal with some family stuff this week, so it's put me behind. More soon!

• Options
    edited September 29, 2019 7:12PM

How last week go? Everything OK after your race? BTW. I love what you added to the Gravel GroupMe.

@Elizabeth Harrison

• Options

Hi @matt limbert! Glad you liked that - I'm so stoked for Iceland! But also, kind of wondering if it was crazy... I guess I have a year to train, right? :)

I've finally updated the last couple of weeks for you. I wrote my race report on the race day workout. It was TOUGH! Definitely a wake-up call. It was humbling to say the least. I'm trying not to view it as... embarrassing? I felt really slow. BUT, I'm glad to have it as a baseline, and I don't regret doing it. So thank you for the encouragement! It was actually my first B race, so at least I feel good that I made myself cat up (since it was a local race, there were no license or cat requirements). I'll look forward to your feedback if you have any!

I'm not sure where to go from here exactly. I do have the Barn Burner (30 miles, 2,350 elevation gain, mountain biking), coming up on the 19th, which I think will also be tough, but in different ways. I'm a little worried I haven't put in the mileage or training efforts for that race yet. I'm also off of the plan due to some family issues I've had to tend to, both at home and with my parents in SC (when it rains, it pours!).

What would be the best way to jump back on the plan to make sure I'm as ready as possible for the Barn Burner? And today I have a recovery ride day, but I haven't ridden since last week, so is there something else I should do today? There is a group mountain bike ride this evening (more beginner/intermediate group but I can do some harder efforts on my own) I was planning to do, but if you think it makes more sense to do intervals or put in a harder effort on the MTB, let me know.

• Options

@Elizabeth Harrison I'm stoked for your Iceland too! I like the crazy goal race - it brings a certain level of commitment and focus. I read recently that when choosing a goal, set it and then think about what the goal would look like if you gave yourself 90% of accomplishing it. Then, look at it again and then define what it would look like if you gave yourself 80% of accomplishing it. Then, look at reset it again and give yourself a 70% chance of accomplishing it. That 70% chance of accomplishment goal - is the one you need. It is the one that is big enough, crazy enough and challenging enough to get your complete attention and focus. It is the one that will get you to do those really hard or long workouts in the winter. It is the one that will get you to do the preparation and make the changes you need to because of the risk involved. So, yeah - I like the Rift race.

I'm glad you raced. It had all the greatest hits of a cross race - crazy hard start, switchbacks, punchy climbs, stream crossing - all that packed into a short course. The technical skills are important and will come back, as will the fitness. Your comments and data (sustained HR 162+) show that you really got after it. And by your comments you most likely worked through some negative thoughts - you you definitely checked the mental toughness box. You got that one out of the way. You have your baseline and know what you need to do and I bet you are bit mentally tougher for it. Now, we get down to doing building the fitness you want.

The Barn Burner should be fun. Only do it if it sounds fun. This last race was a bit of work. You had to use some of your courage to get back into racing and dig deep a bit. Check. And check. If Barn Burner sounds fun. Go for it. If it sounds like work - skip it.

You most likely made your decision on Easy day v. Group Mountain bike already. If you hit the easy day - go for the intervals tomorrow. If you did the mountain biking - go for the easy day on Wed. Then get into back into the rhythm on Thurs with the Tempo ride. I hope your family stuff gets back under control. Shoot for consistency and frequency. I'm sure you would enjoy the mental break and the physical activity that the workout gives you if you can fit it in.

As for the next step - we would be looking for something in between now and Rift as preparation event in the Mar/April timeframe. We can do two phases before that, then reset again for another event and Rift to get you ready. Those intermediate events will help us design the next step of the season. What about these?

Pigsah MTB

Road

Gravel

What are you thinking?

• Options

Hey @matt limbert! Thanks for these notes. I LOVE the goal ideas - I pasted them into my notes on my computer so I can refer back often. I feel like that advice is transferrable to so many aspects of life. So thank you!

Mental toughness, yes! It's good to hear that - I don't always recognize it. As for the Barn Burner race, I think it will be fun. I'm doing it with a friend who is about my level, maybe a little stronger in terms of endurance. But she is one of my favorite ride buddies. She's just super positive and always brings humor to our rides. I think it will definitely be a new challenge for both of us, but I also think we will make sure it's fun and not take it too seriously.

I did choose the Group Ride last night. I accidentally deleted the intervals workout for today! I thought my ride from Strava didn't upload so I put it in manually, and I put it in the wrong workout - when I deleted it, I thought I was just deleting my changes. So for today, do I do the Recovery workout that was created for yesterday?

A mental break from family stuff is important - I don't always take that time for myself. And I know it's important to do that especially when trying to take care of others. :) That said, for this weekend, I'll be traveling to my parents' house on Saturday morning and won't be able to work in the long endurance ride that day or Sunday, because I'll be traveling back. Should I push that ride to Friday this week if I can, or Monday next week?

Thank you for the race ideas!!! I looked at all of them, and here are my thoughts:

Pisgah Stage Race (April 13 - 18): I used to live in Brevard, and I've heard this race is epic! Unfortunately, I can't count on this one. I have a side business as a marketing/content strategist and coach and am working on a plan to go full-time with it so I can have a more flexible schedule. The hope is to step away from my full-time job by March 2020 at the latest - but it of course depends on whether or not I can get enough clients by then. So for now, I feel like it would be pretty risky scheduling this one.

Looking Glass (April 25): I've also heard of this one but never done it - I used to ride these roads in Brevard. This is a definite possibility. Would you want me to do the 50- or 100-mile?

Croatan Buck Fifty (March 14): I've been eyeing this one! Looks like I would need to jump on this one TODAY - on Facebook they posted 2 hours ago that there are only six spots left. Would I do the Buck (100) or the Fifty (50)?

The only other race I've been looking at is the Austin Rattler March 28 - I'm just unsure if I will have the money to travel and ship the bike a few months before Iceland.

Those are my thoughts! THANK YOU for everything!

• Options

@Elizabeth Harrison I'm glad you liked the goal stuff. I found it super interesting because it gave me another perspective on the defining goals - it still needs to be specific, measurable, realistic etc - but the element of risk and challenge of the 70% chance goals that would cause you to go all in - seemed super interesting to me too.

Okay, also glad to hear that you will have a Barn Burner buddy and that it will be in the fun category. Score!

For this weekend, I moved the Long Ride to Friday. It would be great to that in before the trip. That would give you the weekend off, and come back on Monday with the Vo2 intervals. About the weekend, it would be good if you got a walk in. Yes, a walk. 30-60 minutes. If you can. That light activity will help you feel better after the back-to-back harder days (Thurs/Tempo, Fri/Endurance Ride) followed by a car trip. So the walking will give you just enough activity and mental break to get back after it on Monday. How does that sound?

The full-time with a flexible schedule sounds great. Do that! I hope the clients pile up. Austin Rattler is another good option. We want to pick something, you are excited about. Each of those races has advantages and disadvantage right? The shorter races will be a good test of your aerobic power and strength. The longer distances are a good chance to practice your fueling. I know Emily is planning on Austin too, I think the Croatan too - I can't keep up with her! But, we need something that really rings your bell. The next phase of training will be focused on intensity and intervals building VO2 Max and strength. About April-ish we will shift to more race specific work for Rift - less high intensity, more volume and sustained tempo for the longer climbs etc. You will be able to leverage your higher VO2 max as we lower the intensity but extend the duration - more grind it out work. Think about it and look around a bit. Find your something!

• Options

@Elizabeth Harrison Nice work stringing the rides together this week. Good luck with the travel this weekend.

When you get at chance, check out this next video from Coach Patrick. Next week you will come up on your 30 day mark with EN. Around that time, Brenda will ask you what you want to do with your membership PlanEN or TeamEN. Coach Patrick made a video for you where he talks about what the differences are between the levels and which one makes sense for you. We would love to have your gravel MTB vibe as part of TeamEN.

We can chat about it here or give me a call https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

• Options

Thanks @matt limbert! I'll check out the video. I feel like I've been struggling to really complete all of the workouts fully. I've had some bike issues, and time issues. But, I feel like this program has really gotten me back on the bike more consistently - and that's huge! I'm also realizing the importance of having some kind of indoor training option, so I'm looking at my budget to see if I can afford a smart trainer.

I have my call scheduled with Brenda on Thursday. Looking forward to continuing with EN in some capacity.

As for races, the Croatan sold out! I should have jumped on it earlier. I'll plan to do Looking Glass. When I first signed on, I chose Blood, Sweat and Gears as one of my races - not really knowing what that meant or how it fit in. Just thought i would mention that because I'm not sure how it fits in with The Rift.

I want to finish filling in my notes from the workouts - I may have some questions for you.

Thanks so much!!!

• Options

@Elizabeth Harrison Nice work getting the recovery ride done on Saturday. Glad to hear we are getting you back on the bike more consistently - you are definitely improving - which is great to see. There are lots of good indoor trainer options - another good Forum topic to ask - folks are pretty passionate about their trainers. Talk to you soon.

This discussion has been closed.