Home New Member [First Month]
Options

David Buhl Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

@David Buhl

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes [Click to Watch the Video]

Your Races

• 04/25/2020 Earth Day Half Marathon
  • 06/20/2020 Grandma's Marathon
  • 08/01/2020 Graniteman Tri (Oly)

Your Notes

Most recent race: Ironman Wisconsin 9/9/2019. Current fitness: overtrained but no injuries. Stronger in the swim but weaker on the bike and run compared to prior years.Currently in a transition period following IM Wisconsin (9/9/2019). My max hrs/wk was 20 hrs with a total CTL of 120. Longest swim was 80 min @ 1:45/100 yd. Longest bike was 6 1/2hrs at IF .65 (FTP: 270). Longest run was 18 hrs @ 9:15/mi pace.

Compared to prior years: stronger in the swim but weaker bike and run.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on September 16, 2019

• On 9/16/2019 Load the -- Metric Century, Balanced (12 Weeks) to end on 12/22/2019
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 10/14/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Runners 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/10/2019
  • On 11/11/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Runners 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019
  • On 12/9/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Runners 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/5/2020
  • On 1/6/2020 Load the -- OutSeason for Runners Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 3/16/2020 Load the -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 6/23/2019
  • On 6/24/2019 Load the -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 7/7/2019

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?

My ultimate goal would be to qualify for Boston (under 3 hr 20 min) at

Grandma's Marathon 2020. I've not run an open marathon in many

years and my most recent 1/2 marathon was 1 hr 36 min. At the very

least, I'd like to beat that time and maybe break 1 hr 30 min.

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

My biggest limiter right now is my running; especially my long runs.

I tend to get injured or overtrain.

• Options

David,

Welcome to Endurance Nation! I'm Matt and I'm here to help make your first 30 days as easy as possible. 

We can chat here or you can schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

I'll help you get up to speed with your plan, your basic schedule, workout terminology, and all of our resources. I'll send some links to articles, forums or coach videos that apply to your training. I encourage you to look around and let me know what you are interested in. There are ton of videos, coach lessons and forums that are available to you as a TeamEN member. C

Here are some easy steps to get the most out of your training plan, Coach Thread, EN learning library and Final Surge. Get smarter to get faster.

First, subscribe to this Coach Thread. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. When you post a question or update on your training in here, you will get an email when we respond. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 6 sec video here to set it up: 

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Final Surge sent you an unlock code. Dig out that email and click on the link. You can then access the season plan Coach Patrick descriptraining calendar.

Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank, how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick note goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Integrated Zones. Customization.

You will do some run and bike tests this weekend. Once we have that power or heart rate data we can integrate your zones and customize your workouts.

You will do some run and bike tests this week. You can use that test data to customize your workouts to your individual zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones:

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Learn More About Your Plan. Once you finish the metric century plan - you will transition into the Run Durability Plan for Runners (scrool about 3/4 way down the page)

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#runrdp

Here are a few videos about your plan:

Let me know how I can help. 

I look forward to hearing more, helping you build your fitness and learn more about training and racing.

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Talk with you soon.

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

David, thanks for the homework. Grandma's marathon is great opportunity qualify for Boston - great weather, manageable course, lots of crowd support. We can definitely help you get there. Using the Final Surge app to add comments to your workouts - weather, pacing, what you eat, what you drank, how you felt mentally and physically, any aches developing - those kinds of comments along with the data of HR, pace, maybe power, cadence - all are super helpful in helping you find that optimum balance of progression and rest. We can watch the numbers all day - but the complete story comes from the numbers + the narrative (the story). We can help you navigate that balance, avoid injury and get faster. Also, you are really smart - targeting a race and starting early. We can slowly build up the volume and add a bit of intensity so that your ramp rate is manageable. The best work is work you can absorb. Check out the stuff in the post above - then chat with me here or schedule a call. If those times don't work for you, let me know what does and we'll get it done.

• Options

David, great talking to you.

Here is the page for Run Durability Part I

Here is the page for Run Durability Part II

These are all part of the same main page. The Run Durability stuff is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Also check out some of Coach Patrick's blog posts for marathon training / racing here:

Let me know if you have problems with any of these links.

Summary of our call.

We talked about the gaps in the the zones - those are set in order to target specific goal for a workout (easy is easy, tempo is tempo, hard is hard). It keeps a clear delineation between the types and purpose of the workouts with a more focused zone. The intent of these first few weeks is to transition from IM training and racing. Coming off IM Wisconsin, we want you to get some aerobic work, while maintaining frequency and consistency. We encourage you to use the comments in Final Surge to capture the "story" behind your training (weather, perceived effort, attitude, mood, mental state focus v. distracted, aches etc). Use these first few weeks to practice with post-training notes and develop a habit - which will become a important part of how you manage your training. (Start to understand what kind of athlete you are? Do you need extra motivation and discipline to get the work in? Do you need to discipline yourself from working hard too often etc? What are your warning signs that your training is not adjusted properly - missing workouts? coming back from a run and trying to eat a house? falling asleep at your desk? Tight zyx that feels better after a warm up. etc) A short term goal in the next few week could be to focus on consistency and frequency and use the structure of this transition period as a guide. And develop a habit of making post-training comments in Final Surge. Modify the work outs if want to and make comments in the notes why you decided to change. It will help us/you manage your transition. The goal is to get frequent, consistent aerobic training for the next few week and finish this transition period feeling mentally and physically refreshed and ready to tackle your next phase. When you move into the Run Durability phase - execute the week as planned and plan to follow-up with us. We want the training to fit your schedule and lifestyle if we need to make adjustments, let's figure that out. Chat with us here or schedule a call anytime.

• Options

Thanks again for the phone call and all the info. Will work on the above recommendations!

• Options

Great start. Love the consistency and your notes.

@David Buhl

• Options

@David Buhl Love your EN icon picture and knocking out more quality work with my personal favorite - post-workout comments - this week. Nice!

I would love to see you in our GroupMe chats. Check them out.

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are Team right here, right now. 

There is a group dedicated specifically to running. Great for accountability and talking all things running.

• Options

Good work adapting your training to your schedule this week. Nice long ride. You're a natural at this.

Here is some guidelines we use to adjust workouts if necessary:

WorkOut Triage

1. Cut the Interval Length but Keep the Intensity. IOW if 2 x 15' on the bike isn't working for you, can you do 3x10 with more rest or 4x7.5, etc.

2. Do the Time but Drop the Intensity. If #1 doesn't work, then get in your 2x15' at .9 or .85 instead.

3. Do the Time Only. If #2 doesn't work, then just get your 45-60 minutes done.

4. If You have Zero Motivation (or time) and #3 is Wicked Unappealing (or just won't fit in the day), Do Nothing. Stretch, core, etc is okay but take the day. Better to save now than pay later.

From a macro level perspective you'll want to check in on your quality of sleep, nutrition, wellness to make sure this isn't a bigger issue.

• Options

Thanks for the above guidelines Matt.

I was looking ahead at the next few months of run durability and I have a few questions:

1. Should I test to establish my run zones? Not sure the ones I'm using are still accurate. If so, when should I test.
    2. There are cross training days listed but it says not to bike. Is this correct?
    3. How important is run cadence? I find I run around 160-165 bpm on an average run. If I'm doing speed, I'm around 170-174. When I try to hit around 180, I feel like I'm overusing my hip flexors. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help

• Options
    edited October 9, 2019 7:54PM

Hey David,

1. Run Test: You can run test whenever you want. You have several weeks of consistent training under you now. A 5k race is a great way to test and they are typically easy to find. Otherwise, you can time trial if by yourself. Try to find a relatively flat course. You will use your average heart rate for the race - enter that into the zone calculator.
    2. Cross-training & bike: Great question. You can bike on your cross-training day. The cross-training workout is used across multiple Run Durability Plans (i.e. Run Durability for Runners, Run Durability for Triathletes, Run Durability Balanced). Run Durability Balanced and Run Durability for Triathletes have bike workouts as part of the schedules. You are in Run Durability for Runners because we wanted a bit more volume leading into your next block for Marathon training. So, biking is a valid cross training for you in your current plan. Good catch.

Run cadence: Run cadence is a very personal thing and relative to you - a combination of mobility, flexibility, height and weight. Taller and heavier runners typically have a lower cadence. What is your height and weight?

Here are a couple things to start with posture and hip position:

1. Head and trunk carriage: If you are leading over or hunched it could put extra strain on your hip flexors. Are you staring at the ground or looking at the horizon? If you are looking down too much it could be in too much of hunch or forward lean, which makes it harder to get the the turnover. So, check your posture, head up, look at the horizon, shoulders back.
    2. Arm carriage: Generally speaking, your foot will land (generally) under the forward progression of your hand swing. So, your arm action is directly linked to your foot cadence. A short arm swing, when you hand only just a short distance - will automatically shorten your stride, get your plant foot under your center of gravity and increase your cadence.

Once you think your posture is good.

1. Hip mobility: A tight hip flexor (from sitting alot) can limit the rear extension of your leg at push off can lead to a quad dominate vs. hip dominate stride.

The video is so-so but the guy demonstrating is Jay Dicharry and he does a good job of explaining running mechanics in "Running Rewired"

Try those things - Head up. Think about running taller. Shorten the arm swing. See how those impact your cadence. Let me know how it goes.

• Options

@David Buhl You can post a video of your run and we'll take a look too

• Options

How is the cadence?

• Options

Great information! Thanks Matt.

I'm Just under 6 foot and am around 168 lbs. My ideal race weight is probably closer to 158 lbs so I'm a bit heavy right now - probably need to start watching my nutrition too now that I'm over a month out from IM :)

Anyway, I've noticed that I tend to slouch/lean forward as I fatigue and definitely have tight hips. Now that I'm starting Run Durability, I'm going to focus on form and flexibility. Your information is really helpful. I'll try to post a video here soon. Also, going to try to run a 5 k next weekend. This past weekend was cold, windy, and snowy here in Minnesota and I wasn't ready to face the elements yet - brrr!

• Options

@David Buhl

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@David Buhl Just checking in. You have some great consistency. Nice work. How is it going?

• Options

@David Buhl hey man, I saw your months to note looking for more information on recovery. There are different types of recovery depending on the situation but I wanted to give you some options to consider and we can always talk more deeply about them later. The first is talking about seasonal recovery and the importance of taking a break between two years. Here is that link: https://www.endurancenation.us/season-planning-training/starting-your-new-season-right-by-resting/

If you were born to podcasts, here is a great interview that we did earlier this year with the CEO and founder of Normatec. He talks about the system but also about general recovery as well.

Finally, let's not forget the most important tool you have in your recovery tool kit is sleep. If you're having trouble managing workouts on individual basis or across a week take a look at your sleep patterns. Perhaps you can work in a strategic night of rest before a key session or perhaps you can make a change on a macro level and find 30 to 40 minutes every single night which can also make a massive difference.

Keep up the good work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Nice work. Keep making those comments - they will help you manage your training as you pile up those consistent workouts later and later into the program.

• Options

@David Buhl How is the cadence work going?

• Options

Info about about cadence has been insightful. I think over time I've become a quad dominate runner which probably has contributed to some running injuries over the years. Cadence on easy runs is still probably a little too slow. Hopefully with work on my form and flexibility, I'll get some faster turnover. Haven't gotten my wife to video my run yet :)

Great info on recovery too. I tend to be my strongest in the early part of the season and then flameout. Sleep is definitely a big part of it. I think the workout comments will be helpful (tend not to do them when rushed/stressed) to keep me honest. I struggle with balancing training load and recovery - tend to follow the plan even when I should back off for fear of missing a "key" workout.

Thanks for the help!

• Options

@David Buhl Glad we can help. Focusing on cadence during your running really keeps you present in the moment on actually running. I'm often surprised on how enjoyable that can be vice chasing other random thoughts during the run. But, there is always a time a place for those kinds of runs too! :)

You have a great start on your strengths and weakness as an athlete. Some, require the motivation to get out the door and some need to be told when it better to rest. That is a really key insight on the workout comments - that you tend not to do them when you are rushed or stressed. (Which can be a sign when you look back at your training and don't see comments.) You know when you are nailing it, when your comment is "Too rushed and stressed for a comment."

Thanks for checking in. Chat again with you soon.

• Options

@David Buhl Nice use of the post-run comments. Keep experimenting with the vitals. You might find some trends.

• Options

@David Buhl Nice work - building some consistency. How is your cadence and run form progressing?

• Options

Thanks for the follow up.

My runs are going well. I tried to follow the program with some variation to allow for other life stuff at this time of year. Coming off a season of IM, I wanted a little break. That being said, I plan to be more disciplined with this training period in preparation for the out season program.

Cadence and form are still a work in progress. I definitely have better cadence and efficiency with increased speed. Getting a little tricky now with some snow and ice on the roads. I don't like the treadmill unless I have no other choice :)

With my relaxed focus and leftover Halloween candy around the house, I've gained some weight. I'm 168 and racing weight is probably 160 or less. I was planning to work on loosing some body fat for the next couple of months before the training intensity really ramps up. Any thoughts on how to best accomplish this without digging a nutritional hole? I've done Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight Quick Start in the past and lost some weight. This focused on short intervals, fasted workouts, and some strength training; all while on a high protein diet. The problem was I didn't feel very strong on the run or bike coming into the season and felt like I was behind.

Appreciate you thoughts.

• Options

@David Buhl I totally get that. That is a healthy approach to managing your training. Setting the long term goal for more disciplined training period, while recognizing where you are presently. Give yourself credit and mark your weekly improvements in discipline. I'm a huge fan of celebrating the small wins each week.

Good to hear that you are seeing a change in your cadence, efficiency, and speed. Hopefully, it makes each run a bit more enjoyable. I feel the same way with the treadmill! Ice and footing is my breakpoint - cold and snow offer a chance to work on running power - its often feels like hill work. Ice - is where I draw the line. The treadmill does offer the chance to get back to my preferred cadence and rhythm - I just make sure I have my best angry music playlist with me :)

This time of year is really tough. But, I like that you have a reasonable and know weight target that you have been at before. And I like that you have noticed enough change that you want to take action.

How? Choices. Habits. We have two approaches: Baby steps or hard core daily. With the baby steps approach, you take a look at your daily choices. You pick something the high calorie snack, coffee, beer...whatever and get rid of it. You build the habit of choice. You chose to prioritize your body composition over whatever thing that you know needs to go. For me, it was a Honey Singer waffle - I used to eat those things (150 calories each) 2 or 3 times a day as a snack. Boom. That's 300 to 450 calories gone, everyday. 2100 calories a week. And I really didn't miss it.

The hard core method is a bit more intrusive. You use an App like "My Fitness Pal" (free) and you document everything you eat. Yes, it is a pain. But, you quickly learn how your macros (carbs, protein, and fat) are distributed throughout the day and with what foods. This is shocking, which sometimes you need to get rid of your favorite Honey Stinger waffle snack. (Just saying.)

We need to set a goal weight to come out of the holiday season with. If you maintain or drop 2 lbs between now and 6 Jan, then that would give you 12 ish weeks to drop the remain 6 lbs. Totally doable.

What to you think of a hybrid approach. Use the baby steps method between now and 6 Jan. Then get hard core for Jan-Feb. By then you will be close and can make a decision on how or if you need to drop more weight.

Please fuel during and after workouts. Cutting calories during or after workouts just ends up hurting your overall performance.

Coach Patrick has a good video where he goes over the entire approach on body composition (baby steps and hared core implementation) here:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Courses/Nutrition.aspx

If you really want to get serious check out the Sponsors page - there is discount for Core Diet. They are registered nutritionists and dietitians who regularly work with other team members. They will go over your diet and give you a customized plan. If you go this route, it is best to go with 2-3 weeks of data from a diet tracking/logging app like My Fitness Pal - the first thing they will ask you for is what your diet looks like now. This could be a good option if you get a stuck at a particular weight, after you already cut out your version of Honey Stinger waffles - and you need/want to dial it up one more notch.

What do you think?

• Options

Great advice - thanks!

"Please fuel during and after workouts. Cutting calories during or after workouts just ends up hurting your overall performance." - Definitely have experienced this and think it probably hurt some my race preparation in prior seasons.

I'm cleaning up my eating now and not letting myself have free range in the kitchen. I was used to eating a ton of bread, bagels, etc during ironman training. Plus, great autumn beers and pizza are not helpful! BTW, Honey Stinger waffles are awesome :)

I've done some food tracking in the past and found that if I get close to +900 or more cal/d through training, I don't have too much trouble maintaining a modest calorie deficit (250-500/d). It's when I don't train much that hunger becomes an issue and my resolve gets shaky. This time of year is more difficult so I like your recommendations of baby steps now and more hard core in Jan-Feb.

Thanks Matt. Hope your training is going well too.

• Options

@David Buhl We can do this! Good work cleaning up your eating. Here are some things to keep in mind:

-Look for the low hanging fruit. Your version of the Honey Stinger waffle. Soda? Cafe lattes? Halloween candy? Energy bars for snacks?

-You don't have to give anything up completely. Unless you want to. (I wanted to give up the Honey Stinger waffle as a symbol to my commitment to my body composition goal.) But, sometimes the same thing can be better with moderation or portion size. You can still have a slice of pizza, just not the whole pizza.

-"It's when I don't train much that hunger becomes an issue and my resolve gets shaky." When your resolve gets shaky - consider "why" you are hungry. Are you bored? Are doing it out of habit? Are you mowing through an entire bag of pretzels while watching TV? Try a simple walk around 3-5 minutes or just changing tasks, or drinking some water. If you are still hungry after you have tried those things then moderate whatever you eat next.

-Timing. Figure out your "critical snack window" - is it late afternoon, late evening? It is the time that is usually a few hours after your last meal and an hour or two before your next. You know that next meal is coming, but feel the need for a snack. First, try the steps above. Switch tasks, walk (just a little movement will change your blood sugar and what you perceive as hungry), or drink some water. Second, try to spread your "meal" out more. Eat part of your lunch, then save the other part for that "snack window" later in the afternoon.

-Portion control. Sometimes, one particular meal just gets carried away. Say dinner, if you delay eating throughout the day, dinner tends to be the place to compensate. Keeping the meals throughout the day even helps with portion control at dinner. Or just eat slower, it takes your body a few minutes delay to register what you just ate. If you mow through a really big meal, all of sudden you feel really full. Eat like you need to go run in 2-3 hours and it may help keep the portion size smaller and you feel more neutral - not hungry not, full.

-What you eat? Experiment with and be mindful of what exactly you are eating in terms of fiber, fat, protein, and carbohydrates. Not that you are counting grams of macros for each meal. That would be emotionally exhausting. But, just be mindful of not overdoing one particular category. Balance your protein and carbohydrate, with enough fat and fiber to make you feel full and help digestion.

***You can use Daily Vitals in Final Surge to track your weight. I like to use "other" workouts to track what you ate, how you felt throughout the day. That will help us find trends and the combination of foods and timing that works best to support your energy levels and meet your weight loss goals.

Let me know what you decide and how you plan to get after it.

• Options

@David Buhl How are the baby steps in body composition going?

• Options

Two baby steps forward, one step back! Cutting back on random sweets which has been easier now that the kid's Halloween candy is gone. Have also been trying to increase my vegetables with lunch and supper. Really haven't seen my weight change though so I'm probably going to have to get a little more strict with my nutrition and start tracking. I do tend to crave carbs at night, especially now that it's cold and gets dark earlier here. Thanks for the great recommendations!

On a side note, even though I've gained quite a bit of weight since IM and have a little gut, I feel like I'm getting stronger on my runs and my mile interval paces are getting faster. Any chance some of the weight gain is return of muscle that I broke down during IM training ? :)

When I upload training programs into my calendar and am suppose to transition early into another one, is there a way so they don't overlap and show multiple training sessions? i.e. a way so when one programs starts, the other program's workouts don't keep showing.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

• Options

@David Buhl Hey David, Happy Thanksgiving.

Here is a video "How to delete overlapping weeks" When you upload a training plan and need to transition early. Delete the last few weeks from the calendar, then upload the next plan on the date you want. Here is the video on how to delete weeks.

Let me know if that was what you were looking for.

Nice work with the baby steps and the vegetables. A couple of things to try for craving carbs at night. Try getting them in earlier in the day - lunch or afternoon snack. Also, I have used those mini oranges - clementines. They seem to satisfy the craving and are better for you in lots of ways. 😂

I'm glad to hear you are feeling stronger and seeing some progress on the runs. That is exactly what we want to see and hear. I'm sure their is some new muscle involved! 💪

• Options

@David Buhl I hope Thanksgiving was good to you. Be on the lookout for the monthly update workout post for next Sunday. Plan to take a minute and answer those questions. It will help you frame your next block of training. 🤙