Home General Training Discussions
Options

knee (cap) pain from poor bike fit

So at the start of the Nov OS I played with my bike fit a bit.  I have a Lemond road bike which had an angled seat post and clip-on aero bars last summer, but I removed them for the OS.  I have not payed too much attention to my fit, since I am planning on picking up a tri bike in the not-too-distant future.  However, since I have been training hard on the bike I have had some knee pain which is bummin' me out!

I do not think my left knee is too much of an issue, but my right knee cap hurts after rides and runs.  The pain is right out in front of the knee - feels like a bad bruise.  It is especially stiff the day after a ride or run - occasionally waking me up in the night.

I am hopeful adjusting my bike fit will do the trick, without needing to see a doctor.  Before I bring this thing to a shop for a fit, I am hoping there is a quick fix (e.g move saddle back or forward).  Any ideas?

Until I get this figured out, I am going to rest up and let the "strain" heal a bit.

Comments

• Options

Knee cap pain can be from a few things, so if the fit is the cause we're going to need more info to help figure out the cause (have someone take a picture of you riding on the trainer from the side and post it image&#160image.

My advice would be to look on the train map for the bike fit ebook RnP have put together with Todd K. Lots of good info in there! It might even be on your training plan dashboard come to think of it. if uncomfortable making changes to your setup, then hit up your trusted LBS for some help. It is also possible that your fit is a ok but your shoe/cleat set up is off.

To manage the actual symptoms, stretch (calf and hamstring especially...www.endurancenation.us/en_forums/showthread.php) + ice. don't let it turn into a fullblown tendonitis or this will have an impact of workouts down the line.

• Options

I actually posted a vid of me on my bike here.  I think I am going to bite the bullet and reach out to Tod at TT Bike Fit for his guidence.  Not being able to ride is NOT COOL!  Any insight on my fit would be appreciated!

• Options

Hey David:

When was the last time you had a bike fit?    Do you have a video of you on the bike with you facing the camera?  It might show any knee alignment issues on your pedal stroke.  

• Options

what Rich said- from the side everything looks okay. maybe a little stretched out and the seat back a bit to far...but not enough to really tweak the knee. when your riding what's it look like when you look down- is one knee in closer to the top tube? how does the hip feel??

cleats and shoes can be a big part of the puzzle, so if it is something along those lines....it's worth the cash for the sake of time and energy.

in the mean time, mark your current set up tape so that you can always get back to your current position. Try moving the seat forward, dropping the seat a hair and sliding your cleats back to unload the calf??? start crazy small in the adjustments (1 mm small).