Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Rory Gumina IM Maryland Race Plan (Bib #690)

IMMD will be my 3rd IM. Raced Eagleman this past June to get familiar with the courses. Training and final Race Rehearsals have gone according to plans. Race Temps are expected to get into Low 80's so managing the heat late on the Ride, and especially during the Run will be critical.

Sat., Sept. 28 – RACE DAY!

·       4:15AM Wake up … Coffee, GE, Clif for breakfast

·       Lube (ankles, wrists, nipples, inside knees)

·       Dress: Race kit, CHIP, HRM, 920 XT watch, sweat pants, IMMT jacket

o  Pockets: Caf gel, Plastic Bag w/cut Clif bars, Garmin 820, headlamp

o  Backpack: wetsuit, swim skin, race cap, goggles, lube, GE bottles (2)

o  Bike Pump

o  Water Bottle w/GE mix

·       4:40AM head to transition and get body marked … BRING NUTRITION & HYDRATION, & SN Bags!

·       5:15AM Caf gel & GE

Ø GE bottles BTA and behind saddle

Ø Clif bar halves into Bento

Ø Ensure chain is mid-cassette, pump tires, put Garmin 820 on bike

·       Drop off SN bags (bike & run)

·       6:20AM swim warm-up

·       SWIM Goal – 1:05

Ø seed in 1:05-1:10 wave … near back

Ø 1st Loop: Smooth rhythm – count strokes between BIG buoys (100 meters apart … +/- 50)

Ø 2nd Loop: Increase pace - # strokes between buoys should increase (+/- 56)

·       T1 Goal Under 4 min

Ø Remove cap, goggles, top half … rest with strippers

Ø Keep wetsuit rolled in a ball … run hard to transition … get BLUE T1 Bike Gear Bag

Ø Helmet, shoes, gloves, sunglasses … arm coolers if necessary

Ø Base salt in shorts pocket & Roctane GU Flasks in jersey while running to mount line

Ø Tell bib # to volunteer announcer to get bike ready

·       BIKE – relax, crafty gearing to hold wattage … Goal: 5:45

Ø VERY EASY out of transition … 1st 20 min at 140w (till HR settles <120)

o  Gu Roctane from flask

o  Eat ½ Clif bar

o  Drink GE

Ø Watch HR! … keep HR <125

Ø 1st half: ride strong (165-170 watts, 75% IF, 140-150 TSS budget)

Ø Next 35-40 miles: reduce to 155-160 watts / 70% IF

Ø Remaining: reduce to 145-150 watts / 65% IF (2nd half TSS 125-135)

Ø 30”-60” Out of Saddle every 30 min … stretch Glutes, Back, Turn head side to side

Ø Aide Stations: 14, 30, 45 miles

Ø Hydration: 1-2 bottles per Aide Station … (increase as day gets hotter)

o  Drink every 15 min (garmin alert)

o  PEE at least twice

Ø Nutrition:

o  Gu Roctane (flask) every 30 min

o  Eat ½ Clif bar every 60 min

o  Base salt as needed

Ø Bike Special Needs: Drink HotShot

Ø Near end of Bike

o  Feet out of shoes

o  Turn on 920xt

Ø Aide Stations: Be Ready, Be Careful, Point to, and THANK, volunteers

·       T2 Goal under 3 min

Ø Hand bike to volunteer … run to get RED T2 Run Gear Bag

Ø Put on socks, Vaporfly, Grab go bag and GO

Ø Hat and race belt with #, Run Saver bag, and gels & flasks in pockets while moving

Ø Drink Hot Shot

Ø Start 920xt Run mode

·       Run – smooth, easy, increasing effort .. Goal 4:15 (avg. 220 watts, HR 130 … = ~9:45 pace)

Ø Hold Back out of T2! … Relax! … HR down … < 210 watts … not too fast!

Ø Power: 200-210 thru Mile 6, then 210-225 thru Mile 18

o  Then increase/hold to Finish (increase Cadence)

Ø HR: 110 to 130 thru Mile 18 … then could increase to 140

Ø HEAT! … reduce power / pace to maintain HR … expect watts to drop 2nd Half due to HR

o  Use Stryd xls Tool to adjust Power for Heat & rH: 80F/65rH: 215 watts (=~9:55 pace)

Ø Aide Stations:

o  Walk Break to eat/drink & RE-FOCUS (20 steps)

o  Drink GE, ice for Run Saver bag

o  Gu Roctane or Caf gel every 4miles, starting mile 1

o  Base salt every mile

o  Be Ready, Be Careful, Point to, and THANK, volunteers

Ø Arms by side & high, knees straight

Ø Run Special Needs – HotShot (2)

·       Goals:

Ø Run Smart … then Strong!

Ø Top 5 AG Finish … racing for #1

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Rory Gumina A few things I noticed or have questions about.

1) A caffeinated gel and GE at 5:15am. Most save caf gels till part way through the bike. I know you've been doing this for awhile so just a comment.

2) Swim time expected is 1:05 but you are seeding back of the 1:05-1:10 group. Go to the front of that group and I'd suggest somewhere in the 1:00- 1:05 group to try and catch some fast feet. At a minimum you hopefully won't be swimming over a bunch of people.

3) Bike IF - .75 to .7 to .65. Is this to manage the heat or part of some other strategy. At the top end this gets you 285 TSS is at the top end of the TTS charts for a good run. There are a few more TSS points you could squeak out for strong runners but assume again this is to manage HR in the rising heat and set up the run. Did utilize this type of riding intensity in a rehearsal which we typically ride at a certain IF for up to 6 hours?

4) Bike nutrition 1-2 bottles of GE is a big caloric difference? A 24 oz bottle has 180 calories so if you are upping your intake to 2 bottles could put your gut above capacity

GE 180-360 calories

Roctane 100

1/2 Clif bar (chocolate chip) 125 calories

Total 585 cals/hour

Have a great race.

• Options

@Rory Gumina I have a question about your sweat rate. How much do you weigh? Looking at all the Base Salt and Hot Shots you are taking indicates you are concerned about cramping? Regarding Base Salt are you taking tablets or licks? It's going to be hot so depending on how much you sweat if you are thirsty and trying to stay cool the GE and Base might be too much. If you have wind in your face and your thirsty drinking too much GE could be an issue.

@Gordon Cherwoniak makes some great points on quantitative calories.

Have a great race! You're ready!

• Options

I also think that you are too good of a swimmer to be in the back of 1:05-1:10. You should be in the next group faster without a doubt. You say this is your third IM but you have been so active in all things EN that you have way more experience than you give your self credit for. Be confident and crush it. The swim is still going to be easy for you in the next group up.

• Options

@Rory Gumina I can't wait to see you out it together. You plan is good, now go race!

• Options

Rory,

Solid and well thought out plan. As mentioned above, I also noticed your calories per hour looks to be over 400 cals. They say the body can digest around 360-400 carbs/hr. That might work for you in cooler temps but with increased heat the body will divert more blood from the stomach/digestive system to cool the body, slowing down the digestive process, which could cause GI distress if it has too many calories/carbs.

If you're looking for a faster T1 time, consider putting your gloves on the bike, either in the bento box or secure with rubber bands on the aero bars. Easy to put on within the first couple miles (but why are you wearing bike gloves anyway?).

With the work you've been putting in all year, that amazing run streak and your smart execution skill, I know you'll have a great race. Good luck. I wish I were racing with you again.

• Options

You're certainly ready for this race.

I'm curious, why are you front-loading the bike:

"1st half: ride strong (165-170 watts, 75% IF, 140-150 TSS budget)

Ø Next 35-40 miles: reduce to 155-160 watts / 70% IF

Ø Remaining: reduce to 145-150 watts / 65% IF (2nd half TSS 125-135)"

I've always had trouble when I race like that; much better results when I build all the way thru, with a rising HR from start to finish.

Another thing on the bike: as you know, this is a totally flat course. IMO, that means relieving the stiffness and hip flexors frequently to ensure a better run. Why not stand up say 20 pedal strokes every time you drink?

Nutrition on the run: those GE calories can add up quickly, especially if it's hotter and you take more than one cup (about 6 oz) per AS. Check out the calorie content/ounce, add to it the gels you are taking, and figure out what you need from GE to keep your intake under 260-280 cal/hour. If they are mixing the GE as directed, there will be 40 cal/6 ounces (6 sips). @ 6-7 AS/hr, that's 240-280 cal right there. Dilute the GE, or alternate with water every other AS. Consider switching to coke the last hour or so. And, don't force gels in the second half if your stomach says "NO!"

Finally, I like the attitude about being willing to win. In order to finish the pointy end, you've got to start doing, not what others can't, but what others won't. Meaning: let yourself work harder and harder the whole way thru. If you keep the same RPE, you'll slow down. Keep ratcheting up the effort, and you'll start passing people. 2nd sucks; so does 4th.

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak thx AS ALWAYS! for your feedback!

1. Yup understood ... it's been my habit
    2. The IMLP 18 Swim Start Jailbreak Scrum made an impression so was attempting a new strategy to get open water as soon as possible ... as it turns out, at IMMD Briefing they said they'd would starting 3 athletes at a time every 5 secs ... so new plan is to target the "middle" of the 1hr-1:10 group
    3. Yes the Bike plan was Coach's idea to get quality work on first loop before the heat & wind ... and it's what I used for final Bike RR
    4. My sweat tests seem to vary greatly depending on Temp ... I've used the EN food calculator xls to approx. the total & hourly needs for IMMD incl. all nutrition/hyrdration sources, but since hydration needs will grow as temp increases am plng to supplement with Roctane & Clif ... and monitor need to pee ... Salt is really "just in case" for the ride ... but essential for the run
  • Options

Thanks for your input @Sheila Leard ! I weigh 170 lbs, and yes have had cramping issues in previous two IM's. Base salt is thumb licks. Good point about keeping cool ... reminds me I need to add water dousing strategy to my plan! As mentioned above, the Salt really is targeted for the Run.

Thanks again Sheila!

• Options

@Robert Sabo thx for your comments!!! ... this Team has made it very easy to get involved and soak up knowledge!!! Yup I will take more aggressive start for the swim ... AND hope to be channeling You during the Run!!! ;-)

• Options

Thx @Edwin Croucher !!! Will miss racing with you!

• Options

After seeing your comments @Derrek Sanks , on top of Gordon's and Sheila's, I am going to take another look at the Food Calculator and dial it in. My hands tend to get very sweaty while riding, so ... half-finger gloves help ... but I'll look for other T1 options to facilitate ... THANKS!

Keep working your weather magic re: Temp's please ... and I would like to have a swim leg ... if you can influence that as well! ... hahaha!

• Options

@Al Truscott thanks as always for your insight!!!

As I mention above, the Bike plan is to take best advantage of the heat & wind. During the Bike RR it seemed to work physically, and also mentally, so we decided to give it a go.

I like your idea about standing & stretching with drinking!!!

I will go back and check my Food Calculator, as I said above ... it does include the GE sips + gels + salt + Hot Shots ... but no water ... nor Coke (which I will play with)

Thx for your attitude comments ... I want a well-executed Run I can be proud of at the end of the day ... hopefully that includes the ability to Race the last half lap (4.5 miles) ... in any event, am gonna give it Hell.

Thx again Al!

• Options
    edited September 25, 2019 9:12PM

@Rory Gumina

Three follow up comments:

1) To reinforce moving up on the swim. I don't know the swim start at Maryland but remember at Lake Placid is pretty narrow and the funnel everyone in. On top of that most people try for the cable underneath and it can get congested. With the 3 athletes every 5 seconds you should be good to go. I'd still suggest targeting the front end of the 1-1:10 group.

2) I also use bike gloves, as Derrek mentions you can put them on the bike, same with the are coolers, just roll those up in to a donut and put on once moving if you have the bike handling skills. Typically there is also some run time to the bike and you can put on the gloves while moving as an alternative.

3) Salt - If you have had issues in the past I'd suggest salt on the bike is not a just in case. I'd be incorporating some there to ensure thing remain good on the run. Having not done this in training could be risky as stomachs can be a funny thing. So if you could take a look at the sodium consumption per hour on the bike and run for rehearsals and the previous IM's where you had some issues this might give some indications. I would not suggest any huge change you just don't want to start the run cramping or behind.

• Options

Thanks for the follow-ups @Gordon Cherwoniak ! Will be looking to more aggressive swim start seeding ... and was thinking similarly about putting gloves on while running to my bike ... agree re: salt ... will be carefully monitoring all systems (esp. peeing) and adjust as needed.

Side note ... GREAT to see you're considering IM for 2021 !!!