Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

My Barkley Adventure

I had a fine adventure last weekend at Frozen Head State Park in Tennessee at the Barkley Fall Classic. Click the link below to read about my experience.

Gabe's Barkley Adventure

Thanks for reading!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Gabe Peterson Congrats on another well executed ULTRA , nice training day for MOAB.

1. Did you think it was too crowded?
    2. Did the purposefully routed course through the briars somehow enhance your experience?
    3. Are you putting in for the "Big Barkley"?
  • Options

What an adventure!

I noticed that you said, "Next time I would..." Did you put your name in for 2020?

• Options

@Patrick Large so savage.

@tim cronk

1. There are definitely too many people on the course. It should probably be about half the 500+ out there. I lost probably an hour stuck in conga lines or waiting for other runners to clear the way on some technical feature. However, it seems to be part of the experience seeing other runners at their absolute limit projectile vomiting or laying passed out along the trail.
    2. I'll admit that I thought the idea of the briars on Rat Jaw sounded stupid. It added a dimension that made what would already be a monster climb of about 1800ft over just a mile absolutely soul crushing. Not so much from the cuts. Honestly I hardly even noticed the cuts at the time. You often had to bear crawl through tunnels in the briars. You should try it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    3. That's the question. I did this to get a taste of whether I'd throw in for the Barkley Marathons. I'd say my answer is not no. I have it in my mind to apply for Badwater next year, which scares me more than Barkley. First I need to survive Moab 240.

@Janyne Kizer it was an adventure for sure. I'd say this race should be on every endurance athletes bucket list. It's just so stupid crazy. If I go back, it will be to do the Barkley Marathons.

• Options

@Gabe Peterson

There are definitely too many people on the course. It should probably be about half the 500+ out there. You mentioned that there were a lot of "cross fit" looking people on the course. (maybe on groupme). Was that unique to BFC or do you see more cross fitters looking into ultra?

I lost probably an hour stuck in conga lines or waiting for other runners to clear the way on some technical feature. I find this super annoying in general, take out this race, whats the solution? Is it something the RD needs to do or better race plan i.e. sprint to the single track and breath on the climb

However, it seems to be part of the experience seeing other runners at their absolute limit projectile vomiting or laying passed out along the trail. I like this thought process and agree 100%.

• Options

@Patrick Large the "CrossFit types" was definitely unique to BFC. I commented at the beginning of the race, "this doesn't look like the usual crowd at an ultra." On one hand, that's a good thing because it's getting more runners out on the trails. On the other, some of them seemed woefully unprepared. For example, running downhill, they'd come to a full stop if there was a rock or any minor obstacle instead of just going over or around it.

I think Laz does the congalines on purpose. He seems to enjoy a little physiological warfare with runners. If the first loop was done in reverse, it would have climbed a few miles up a Jeep road that would have allowed the field to naturally spread out. I think he did this to get in the heads of the fast runners. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Options

congrats on another big accomplishment.

don't think I would survive myself.

it seems clear that the race director is a sadist.

• Options

@robin sarner thanks! You'd totally crush BFC.

Laz definitely gets a certain sadistic pleasure from the race. He personally stood at the decision point to continue on the "50k" route or drop down to the marathon. He tried hard to get me to quit. I think he enjoys crushing runners. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Options

Congrats and way to get it done! Great pictures. Looks like "fun"!

• Options

due to knee issues, I can only start doing ulta running when ready to stop doing Ironmans and permanently trash my knees. and certainly will never do a Barkley race. I will let you crazies do that. :)

• Options

Great report, pretty convinced Iโ€™ll never do this race!!