Home General Training Discussions
Options

Is there a 50K training plan?

I’ve searched the training plans and I see a million marathon plans and a 50mile plan, but no 50K plan. For my first 50K, I just hacked a plan from the marathon and 50 miler. But it would be awesome to have a specific 50K plan.

My next 50K is in May 2020 and then my first 50 miler in the Fall.

If no specific 50K is forthcoming, how would you hack your 50K mileage?

thx!

Comments

• Options

For me, as I have hacked plans in the ultra space. One of the key workout pairings was the back to back long runs, like you see in the 50 mile plan. You won't need to specifically hit the raw mileage in those that are prescribed for the 50 miler, but working up to around 24 for the long (or 4 hrs) with a 2nd long run, will give you baseline. You can argue whether the 2nd should be 2-3 hours, but I tended to build to a 24/18 (on a course similar to what I was racing).

Beyond that consistently getting more 20+ milers in place for one of the long runs goes a long way towards building the mental and physical endurance as you do the 50k and ultimately progress to 50 miler.

• Options

@Coach Patrick has me using the Balanced Marathon plan to prepare for my December 50K. It's just a few miles longer than a marathon so you can tweak the long runs and get a decent plan.

In my opinion, the big thing missing in the marathon plan (and the 50-mile plan for that matter) is hill training. Most ultra's are hilly (mine has 4300' of climbing and descending) and long steep descents, in particular, are very hard on the legs. Also, if the trail is technical with roots and rocks, there are skills that need to be developed and practiced to descend safely at speed. I've modified the Easy Marathon Runs (Tuesday and Friday in the Balanced Plan) to be on hilly trails.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2019 12:11AM

@Leslie Knight as Scott said above, its just a touch longer than a marathon. Tweak the long run by adding a few extra, particularly toward the later weeks.

I have friends that just do normal marathon training for 50Ks and just back off a touch on the effort. But also as Scott said, terrain (elevation, trail?, etc...) are going to be the wild cards on how its approached.

• Options

@Leslie Knight I'm working with Coach P to hopefully have some more Ultra plans up and running soon. Until then I'd be happy to chat back and forth with you (here , PM, or phone) to come up with something that works for you. I know this isn't your first rodeo but I think prep for an Ultra is more individual based on person and course.

What race are you doing?

When is it?

Elevation change?

Technical? Surfaces?

Background and base?

Current mileage level of fitness?

• Options

Thx for the input. Sounds like y’all do what I did for my first, so I’ll keep that up. The back to back weekend long runs were most helpful. I think my longest was 24 miles on Saturday and 12 miles on Sunday. Goal was to get slightly over the 50K mileage for the weekend. Last year, I got a hamstring issue as distance ramped up, so I started seeing a chiro a few months ago and I’m doing my exercises faithfully to strengthen core and glutes. Seems to be helping

If they ever open registration, I’ll be doing Thunderbunny 50K in Ohio in May. Elevation is minimal-around 2500, I think. Which is good because I’m in Dayton and not too many hills here. I did find a new trail that has hills and I’m enjoying that (but not the 40 min drive to get there). I’m not really sure how technical the race is- it’s Ohio, so probably not much!

As far as background, I ran 20-25 miles per week over the summer and rode 200-250 miles per week (trainer, long saturdays, and daily bike commute). A few weeks ago, I swapped Saturday long rides for long runs and am doing 2-3 hour trail runs on Saturday, which is way more than my run durability calls for. But I have the fitness and I love the trails, so it’s good.

I guess the bottom line is I don’t mind hacking and making up stuff, but loading a plan is so much easier! I love stuff in my plans around all the time as it is.

• Options

Thunderbunny- Love the name, looks really nice too. Plenty of time for the plans. IMO you definitely have the right idea, the back to back long runs should peak to a combined mileage/timeframe of the expected 50k race. so a 15/15 , 20/10 , or your 24/12 are all great options to build too. I never thought I'd prefer 2-3hrs on my feet on the trails vs. 2-3 hrs cycling but I DO!

• Options

Thanks for this thread and the discussion...could be useful to have when @tim cronk And I can get our heads together!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited October 29, 2019 8:29PM

@Coach Patrick

just a thought from someone who has yet to run greater than 26.2 miles. Instead of Level 1,2,3 in the other plans should ultra plans be 1 - 50-60k 2-50 to 75 miler and 3 - 100 miler

• Options

@Coach Patrick has the Ultra plans up!

• Options

Wooohoooo!!! There’s now a 50K plan! I’ll bump that up against the 50M plan that I already adapted.

And I looked at the beginner 100M. That seems doable “some day”.

I thought about a 50 miler in the fall, but that would mean forgoing the amazing biking here in Ohio this summer. I may have to defer to spring while I enjoy my last summer here. Moving to TX in August.

• Options

@Leslie Knight Keep us posted on the "changes" you make in case we want to use those to build off of. Best of luck!

~ Coach P