Home Racing Forum 🏎

Rich Stanbaugh IM Louisville RR

Louisville was a unique race in a few different dimensions. To some degree I am still processing it but decided to go ahead and write the report so that I can move on.

First, the swim was cancelled by the health department because of unsafe levels of glue-green algae. I’m not sure what blue-green algae is, but I can attest to the fact that the water looked pretty nasty in places. The photo below was from near the swim exit.

The second difference was the introduction of the AWA Challenge. This created, in addition to the 40 KQ slots expected to be awarded at the race, an additional 26 AWA (one per Division) slots that were to be awarded to the highest placing (fastest) AWA athlete in each Division that did not receive one of the 40 KQ slots during the rolldown. The net effect of this was to draw a large number of very fast athletes to the race.

Lastly, this race started darned cold. Air temp was near 40º at the start of the race making it feel like mid 30s at bike speeds. It was windy and grew windier all day, but the temps mid afternoon were pretty nice for running.

Overall (Bike + Run): 9:22:25 (PR by ca. 38 min. I only compared Bike + Run since transitions are different in every race and I hadn’t done Louisville before)

Bike: 5:32

This was not the bike I expected. Biking is easily my strongest sport right now, even with the strong headwind on the return trip to town, I expected something on the order of 5:15 – 5:20. For reference, FTP 295w and race weight 146lbs.

The time-trial start went as planned. AWAs all went first – I did not qualify for AWA last year (I did not race last year), but I still had a pretty great starting position because of the low team number. Plan was to ride 210. I had originally planned to take it easier during the first 10 miles. On race morning, knowing that we had a tail wind on the way out and a stronger headwind on the way back, I warmed up pre-race and started at 210 to bank some time at speed. There is a slight rise/grade on the course at about 10 miles that I hit harder (≈270w) for about 3 minutes just to get HR up a little, loosen my legs up, etc, but apart for that I rode pretty steady.

I couldn’t stop peeing. Literally. I must have peed 12-15 times in the first 70 miles. I’ve had this problem before, always during cold races. While I wasn’t super cold, I was cold and my skin was a little clammy and I was generally chilled. Apparently, the cold (especially while exercising) triggers a kind of diuresis and you lose your water. I struggle hydrating when cold anyway but was managing 24oz/hr… but I was losing most of it towards unsuspecting drafters.

Notwithstanding this, the first 70ish miles were right on plan: Pnorm 210w, Pavg 201w, VI 1.04, HR 150, Speed 21mph.

The problem was, everything started hurting. My knees had been hurting most of the ride (seems my saddle had slip down a little), but at around 3hrs, everything hurt. It was dehydration setting in.

So, I pulled the plug and rode the last 40 miles easy. I tried to find speed where I could find it, but I was focused on trying to give myself a shot at running. Pnorm 167w, Pavg 156w, VI 1.07, HR 147 and sped 18.7mph.

Backing off cost me about 14min on the bike (40 miles at 18.7mph vs 40 at 21+mph), but I still don’t know what I would have done differently at that point. I can tell you with certainty, 40 miles is a LONG WAY to ride when you have given up on your bike. If that bike course would have been one mile longer, I know that I would have gotten off and pushed the last mile. I was fed up and had a bad attitude.

T2: 5:48 (include a bathroom stop)

Run: 3:50 (PR by ca 32 min)

I had committed to running mostly by feel, looking at cadence to keep my form good and looking at HR to make certain I wasn’t being too dumb. That’s what I did.

My poor friends… I could tell they were shocked at my bike time and knew that something had happened, but they didn’t want to say anything. When no one tells you what position you are in, you know that they are trying to put a happy face on it! For my part, my attitude was still sour, my entire body hurt, but I was super happy to be running and not on that damned bike anymore.

So, I ran.

Everything worked out pretty well (my cheery disposition never improved) until about mile 20. At that point, I made a deal with myself to run to the aid stations then I would walk a bit; the pace started suffering because of that (and another toilette stop). Worth noting, I wasn’t able to run with any volume (more than 10mi / week) before June of this year. I only had two “long” runs of 14.5mi… one in August and one 7 days before race day. I was still at an average pace of 8:29/mile through 18 miles, so I just needed to hang on a little better than I did.

Once I finished the race, I was happy again… happy to be done for sure! I was also happy with the run.

Overall

It has really been an interesting two years. From the ankle issues / surgeries last year to trying to rebuild this year, I am really happy. I’m happy that I was able to race again. I am happy that I have had my first (ever) pain free IM year. I am happy with everything (except the bike performance).

Things I am thinking about:

1. I think that I peaked my bike too early this year. I was, without a doubt, stronger in August before TC 70.3. I don’t think that was a significant issue here, I’m still plenty fit on the bike, but it is something that I need to manage better in the future.

2. Related to the point above, this is the first year that I have ever felt fatigue at the level that I felt it this year. Possible higher bike / run thresholds were contributing to that… I was certainly not impressed with the amount of work that it took to accumulate 1,000 TSS per week. Age was also a contributor (I will be 53 soon). Not saying that as an excuse; it is a reality that I will have to deal with more in the upcoming years. This was really just the first time I have ever considered that age may be impacting me.

3. Cold-Induced Diuresis. This is something that I have to get a handle on. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diuresis#Cold-induced_diuresis

4. Run pacing: next time, I will not do it completely by feel… probably will establish an “acceptable” range for the first 10 miles or so. Also, while I do not want to add huge run volume back into my plan, I need to have more ‘2 hr’ runs as a part of the build. I believe that will help after 18 miles.

5. Bike position: this has been a work in process and I have a list of things to work on before the next race.

Comments

• Congratulations on your race! Sorry the bike didn't go as planned. Did you start drinking less due to the cold and peeing? That cold induced diuresis is new to me too and something to be aware of. One bottle an hour seems light on the fluids and calories. But then you came back with a strong run!

Well done!

• @Rich Stanbaugh Congrats on the comeback, staying healthy through said comeback, and nailing a Ironman Marathon PR in the process.

Things I am thinking about:

1. I think that I peaked my bike too early this year. I was, without a doubt, stronger in August before TC 70.3. I don’t think that was a significant issue here, I’m still plenty fit on the bike, but it is something that I need to manage better in the future.

I'm not sure you peaked too early. However I do believe this to be a real thing that many athletes do. I think they do this in 2 ways. 1st its easy to get excited and burn out before the critical 4-8 weeks pre-IM. 2nd its easy to leave your race in a training session- what is this? overtraining or being too competitive when it doesn't count. There is also the mental peak which is another discussion. IMO peaking is more art than science, not an easy thing to time ones best performance to a specific day , not the day before and not the day after.

2. Related to the point above, this is the first year that I have ever felt fatigue at the level that I felt it this year. Possible higher bike / run thresholds were contributing to that… I was certainly not impressed with the amount of work that it took to accumulate 1,000 TSS per week. Age was also a contributor (I will be 53 soon). Not saying that as an excuse; it is a reality that I will have to deal with more in the upcoming years. This was really just the first time I have ever considered that age may be impacting me.

agree with difficulty racking up 1000 TSS per week with real and accurate threshold settings, specially as we age, but if was only about tss we could just do all volume, the good thing is the race and your competitors do not care how many tss per week you have:-)

3. Cold-Induced Diuresis. This is something that I have to get a handle on. 

As we have discussed, but reiterating here for others. Yes I have experienced this as well in the cold, in the water, and at night during an Ultra. Its a real thing.

4. Run pacing: next time, I will not do it completely by feel… probably will establish an “acceptable” range for the first 10 miles or so. Also, while I do not want to add huge run volume back into my plan, I need to have more ‘2 hr’ runs as a part of the build. I believe that will help after 18 miles.

I really like your run file. On a flattish course I like to throw out the one or two fastest and one or two slowest miles and look at the range I have left. So we get rid of mile #2 at 7:36 and mile #23 at 9:58 and the remaining are between 8:00 and 9:50 which is pretty damn good, and why you PR'ed the run by over 30'. Miles 21-24 were the real challenge . Obviously targeting a 1-1.5 minute spread would be preferential and net you that extra 10 minutes. Easier said than done but a good goal to set going forward.

5. Bike position: this has been a work in process and I have a list of things to work on before the next race.

Next race IMAZ :-) good place to apply these things your thinking of!

• @Rich Stanbaugh Coming back from multiple challenges is never an easy road. Getting it perfect the first time out of the chute is maybe not to be expected - I know I certainly had grave difficulties when I tried it. Seven months later, my next race was a resounding success. You've got two huge positives to take forward:

• You know how to build your bike strength up to massive levels. 295 @ 67 KG is a great place to start from when racing IM; it allows you to prepare for a faster run. Tinker with the timing of your training, and the details of your execution, and next time around, the combined bike/run will drop even further, I'm sure.

• You have learned a lot about how to get the most out of the least during run training. Maybe this will give you a chance to up your game on the swim next cycle!

Remember, Age is Just a Question of Mind Over Matter: If you Don't Mind, It Don't Matter. You've still got some upside left at this distance...

• Congratulations on a great race! It was nice meeting you at the bike rack in transition. I too had lots of trouble with peeing that lasted all the way to about mile 20 of the run. Thanks for the link on the diuresis- I’ll have to look into that. All the best for continued success in future races!

• Thanks for the support!

I feel amazingly good after this race; probably since the swim wasn't there to traumatize me 😂

Ran a Half Marathon last Sunday at 1:37, PR for me, so feeling pretty good about everything still being in working order.

I am just about to wrap up the fund raising - will see everyone in Arizona!

• @Rich Stanbaugh congratulations on the PR run! I know what you mean about peaking at TC. I think it was such a great experience to share with local friends from Michigan. It felt like that should have been the event of the year.

I look forward to catching over a beer or kombucha 😜