Homeโ€บ Coaching Forum ๐Ÿงข
Options

Turby's 2020 IMWC Thread

Hey Patrick. Hope you, Maura and the kids are great!! Big congrats to you on another IMWC finish. We followed your every move. Amazing!!

I need your advice on how best to plan my 2020 for Kona (and possibly an Eagleman B/C "I don't care") train through race .

A little history: My last 3 IM's, Tremblant 2016, Maryland 2018 and 2019 have been done while injured. Right high hamstring for all 3 and also left achilles for Maryland 2019. I'm getting a little tired of doing IM's while injured!! The good news is that both are feeling good and have been non issues lately while just doing light training since Maryland.

My thought was starting Jan 1st to do some sort of run durability plan. I've started strength training which I've neglected for years at least twice a week which I'm hoping will keep me healthy to able to run. I'm committed to the strength work even if it means missing some other workout!I lost 5 weeks of running in August/Sep and got just 2 long runs and no quality running in leading into Maryland, so my main goal is to try to get and stay healthy and get my run back!

Bike training for the last 2 IM's after the outseason was basically a Wed 1 hr ride with friends at Sandy Hook always some kind of intervals or just a hard hour. Saturdays I got ten 100+ mile rides in starting in late June at about IM effort and Sunday a 2-3 hour JRA ride. At my age I've found it really hard to recover from the Saturday ride if I add in more intensity. The last 2 IM's were both 5:20 so that seemed to work pretty well. I'm planning on sticking to that for the bike in 2020.

My MAIN concern is trying to get the run back by getting and staying healthy. Let me know your thoughts.

Best to all!!

Comments

• Options

I agree that can you help me is a top priority. That's only part of the process though, the other part is keeping you healthy is your train. I'm glad to hear that you're doing some strength work what is that involves throwing kettle bells in the air i'm gonna kick you in the junk. Has LOLto be very basic functional strength movements. In other words, not very sexy.

Remember that team jersey shore has been doing Saturday 100 mile rides for Reese prep every weekend since the dawn of time. Given where you are right, we can't denied it there's a material cost to you there. I would almost prefer so you alternated those weekends during the weekend with two by ABP, And the next weekend a long ride and a shorter ABP. Do you get stronger with intensity in your category not just volume.

The hamstring can take a long time to get better so I agree with your rest. The Achilles should be a little quicker. Remind me again what shoes you train and race in.ย ย 

Is there a certain mileage threshold for a week on the run were you can stay happy? That will be good to know. In other words, running 40 miles makes you injured but running 32 miles does not.

Also, how interested are you in improving your swim?

• Options

No more kettlebells! Just unsexy basic movements. I'm already there.

Your bike suggestion about alternating volume weekends with weekend ABP rides sounds fine to me. That way I get back to a little intensity. Also breaks it up a little.

I train and race in Hoka Cliftons. Also train in Altras but I've been staying away from them since the Achilles issue (zero drop).

I think at my age (65) 30-35 miles per week for maybe 8 weeks (or whatever you think) before Kona is about it. Maybe a gradual buildup starting Jan 1 to get there, although not sure the best way to do it.

I just had a Swim Smooth video analysis done and she pointed out what my main faults are so I'll be working on them. When I did Kona in 2015 I was 1:35 in the swim and in 2016 when Carol raced I was 1:21 in the Ho'ala swim so I'll be looking back to see what I did then.