Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Shimon Enatsu [TeamEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Also, here is some guidance on how we recommend that you execute a marathon on race-day:  pace a marathon

Your Races

• 11/24/2019 (full marathon) Tsukuba Marathon
  • 04/12/2020 IRONMAN Taiwan  

Your Notes

My recent racing hitories:

Ironman Korea 2017 

Swim 01:02:10

T1 00:03:51

Bike 05:25:05

T2 00:05:03

Run 03:44:39

Overall 10:20:48

Overall Rank 18/1655

Category Rank 4/315

Ironman Korea 2018

Swim 01:00:10

T1 00:02:56

Bike 05:38:06

T2 00:02:53

Run 04:01:24

Overall 10:46:02

Overall Rank 59/1551

Category Rank 22/273

Ironman Cairns 2019

Swim 01:06:43

T1 00:05:07

Bike 05:55:50

T2 00:06:04

Run 04:48:19

Overall 12:02:03

Overall Rank 472/1289

Category Rank 75/191

My current fitness:no injury, not bad .In on season:

1 or 2 swim sessions in a week. 1 session is 90min and 3500-4000m.

2 or 3 run trainings in a week. 1 session is 30min - 120min.

2 or 3 bike trainings is a week. 1 session is 30min - 300min.

average 10 hours in a week.

In these days:

I have a full marathon race November 24th. So, I have 4-5 run trainings and 1 bike training and 1 swim training in a week. running distance in a week is about 50-60km.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on October 29, 2019

• On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- 2019 Marathon [Balanced], 16 Weeks to end on 11/24/2019
  • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 12/8/19
  • On 12/9/2019 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 1/19/2020
  • On 1/20/2020 Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 4/12/20
  • On 4/13/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/10/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Dear Coach Patrick

First, thank you for the video message. I'm really looking forward to your training plan and coaching.

Let me introduce my triathlon history first. I first participated in IRONMAN JAPAN in 2003.Since then, I've been working hard to qualify for Kona, but I haven't earned it yet. So My goal is, above all, to qualify for KONA.

On the other hand, my weak point is the performance of bike and run.In swim, I can finish at a higher position, but from there I often drop the ranking.

Also, I work as a university clerk, I work overtime almost every day, often not getting enough training time on weekdays.

My family is my wife and 5-year-old son, and my wife, like me, is a full-time worker. On weekdays, We leave my son at a nursery and somtimes I pick up and drop off.

On Saturday, there is a lesson for my son. The lesson is 1 hour learning in the morning and 2 hours gymnastics and swimming in the afternoon. I often also pick up and drop off on Saturday, and there is a possibility that I will not have enough time on Saturday.

On weekdays, I train for about 90 minutes in the early morning or about 90 minutes after work.Rest days are usually set on Mondays.

I think that you can get practice time from 6 to 8 hours on weekends.

I have introduced my background and training environment, and thank you in the future.

Shimon

• Options

Dear Coach Patrick

There are some things I would like to know about in my training environment and my performance.

Swim:

400m TT(Best):00:05:36

3.8kmOWS(Best):00:59:30

I usually attend early swim lessons on Wednesdays. Sometimes I participate on Saturdays. Both are from 6:00 to 7:30 in the morning and the distance ranges from 3500m to 4000m.

And my workplace has a swimming pool where I can swim twice a week on Monday and Friday evenings.

Unfortunately, the ocean is so far away from my house that I can hardly practice OWS.

Bike:

FTP:222W

Best bike time in IM: 05:25:05

I use a power meter.The power meter is Pioneer.

I have a smart trainer,Wahoo kickr.Also I have a Zwift's account.

In my neighborhood there is a flat river road where I can ride 180km nonstop. On the other hand, it is far from mountains and tunnels.

Run:

Best time in halr marathon: 01:20:23

Best time in full marathon: 03:04:43

Best time in IM: 03:30:00

There is a 400m track in the nearby park. In another park, there is a 3.5km round course, and we often practice there.

Shimon.

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU

Thank you for choosing Endurance Nation and sharing your goals, training history and schedule. Those are helpful insights.

I want to help you get off to a good start and make your first 30 days as nice as possible. I want to show you how to get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, and learn more about how the team can help you get to your race goals. 

First thing! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

Next, get setup in Final Surge.

I see that your workouts are posting already to Final Surge. Nice work! To get the most out your training - you need that workout data (DONE!) and the story. Together, they give you (and us) the complete picture of your training. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Customize your workouts Final Surge

Soon, you will do some run and bike tests. You can use that test data to customize your workouts to your individual zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too): 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are Team right here, right now. 

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as easy as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum.

Good luck with your marathon. Check out our guidance pacing the marathon.

Talk with you soon,

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Dear Coach Matt,

I'm using Final Surge right away. It is easy to use.

Actually, I'm training for a marathon that was made by another coach now. However, there are some similarities to the training plan uploaded to Final Surge, so it seems to be a good match.

By the way, I want to check some questions.

One is about practice on December 15th. It is “Run Long Brick”, and the content is 1 hour TRP, but the scheduled time on Final Surge is 1 minute, is this 1 hour?(By the way, it is the same on December 22nd.😅)

Also, Saturday & December 21, “Cruise & Crush Ride (2.5hrs)” is scheduled for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. This is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?😅

(Sorry for the small details!)

Actually, I'm going to travel with my family from December 28th to 30th, so I don't seem to have enough time to run "Epic Long Ride day" on December 29th. For example, is it okay to swap the practice on Friday 27th and Sunday 29th?

Shimon

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU

I'm glad to hear that Final Surge is easy for you to use. It can be a great tool, both to log your workout data as well as your comments.

I apologize for those errors in duration. Thank you for pointing them out. I corrected your plan. Thanks for making us better.

Yes, you can swap the practice of Sunday 29th of December (Epic Long Day) to the 27th of December. If you swap those days - then you should not do the practice on the 26th (Bike: V02 Long 4). That would be too many biking days in a row. The Epic Long Day is more important than the VO2 Long 4. Run for 45' instead on the 26th of December. So your new week would be:

26: Run 45'

27: Epic Long Day

28: Bike Long Ride: Cruise Crush + Brick Run 20'

29: Run 45' or easy Bike (your choice)

Those are 3 really big days. (45' run + Epic Long Ride + Bike Long: Cruise Crush + Brick Run) So, you will need a easy bike or run day to follow.

Great questions. I look forward to talking with you more.

Good luck with the Marathon - keep us updated on your training. I look forward to a race report.

~Matt

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU I can see that you are already working with Matt to get your training plan specifics organized. This is very good.

I want to thank you for sharing your performance metrics in those earlier messages. From what I can see you have your swim bike and run performance, the biggest thing that we need to improve is your bike. I say that not only for your bicycle time, but because of the difference between your Iron Man marathon time and your standalone marathon time.

Additional bike fitness will make sure that you can not only be fast on the bike but that the cost is low enough so that you can also run with speed.

Along the way, I will do my best to make sure that we follow the constraints you have identified with your schedule. I want to help you be successful, but I do not want to do it in a way that jeopardizes your schedule and the delicate balance you have constructed there. If you ever need help with that, or need to remind me of that, do not hesitate to let me know.

• Options

@Coach Patrick and @matt limbert

Thank you for your reply.

As you said, my biggest issue is bike. I always thought that I couldn't raise my ranking without strengthening my bike.

However, I couldn't establish what kind of menu I should practice in the medium to long term.

Coincidentally, I am friends with Akio, K2, and Masaki, so I can hear from them that EN coaching is good, so I joined.

The result of the Sunday marathon was not so good and I was a little disappointed, but I change my mind and work hard for Taiwan.

By the way, there are two things I want to check in the Final Surge menu.

1.In the description of “Bike VO2” on December 12 and December 14, the description of “Coach notes” is blank. Can you tell me what percentage of FTP should I do?

2.Not every time, can I change the Saturday / Sunday workout menu for my convenience, for example, picking up my son? Please let me know if you have to keep order in the workout menu on Saturdays and Sundays.

Shimon

• Options

Shimon,

Thank you for choosing Endurance Nation. I'm happy to hear Akio, K2, and Masaki have enjoyed working with with us. We are happy to help you with strengthening your bike too. You will start a bike focused block 9 Dec. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

I added notes to Dec 12 and Dec 14.

Dec 12 - VO2max are short, intensive and maximum efforts for 30 secs. They would be 150 % - 175 % of your FTP.

Dec 14 - VO2max are longer, extensive and sustained efforts. They will be at 110% of FTP.

Saturday and Sunday are interchangeable for your convenience.

I am always happy to help.

Matt

• Options

Hi Matt,

The weather in Tokyo today is rainy. I feel that it's getting colder and wintering.

Thank you for updating notes. I confirmed the update. It is very hard, but I will do my best.

I will contact you if there are any questions or it is difficult to do the workout.

Sincerly,

Shimon

• Options

Sounds good!

You got this!

Matt

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU how are you feeling now that we are in early December?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I took a two-week rest after running the marathon. During that time, I walked, played with my family, and enjoyed shopping. (It was Black Friday!) Also, I was drinking beer with my friends at the year-end party.

I resumed training for IRONMAN Taiwan from this week. I felt that the performance of the bike was particularly bad, but I will change my mind and practice well.

Shimon EN

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU

Your Swim: 2

Your Bike: 1

Your Run: 2

Body Composition: 2

Additional Info:

Biggest Improvement So Far? I was not happy with the November marathon results, but I felt that my run's performance had improved.How Else Can We Help You? I don't need additional support at the moment, but maybe I'll talk about bike training or race plans.

-------------------------

Thank you so much for answering our survey. We are happy to hear that you took rest after your marathon. Spending that time focused on your family is the best. Black Friday shopping! I thought that was only a United States thing! 😀

I am glad you felt your run performance improved. I looked at your race notes and data - it looks like you started a bit too fast and had a bit of a problem with cramping. We will work on your pacing, building your effort across the race will help with that. Do you typically have a problem with cramping on the run?

What would you like to talk about for training and race plans? Have you watched our 4 keys to Race Execution video: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/FourKeysRaceExecution[Video].aspx

Also, take a look at our Racing Execution page: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails/MasterRaceExecutionPage(HalfFull).aspx

Chat with you soon.

Matt

• Options

@matt limbert

Sorry for my late reply.

Recently in Japan, at the end of November, department stores and shopping malls are doing big sales under the name of “Black Friday”.Isn't it funny?

Just as you say, my pace was too fast in the first half. If I ran a little slower, my finish time was better. I think I could finish within 3 hours and 10 minutes.I think that the main cause of cramping on the left hamstrings were the pace in the first half and my condition.

>Do you typically have a problem with cramping on the run?

Yes, I sometimes had hamstrings cramping on the run(full marathon and the run part in short distance triathlon).

And I sometimes had outside of left thigh cramping on the bike in IRONMAN.Actually, almost every time the bike in IRONMAN, I had cramping on the outside of the left thigh, this is my trouble...

Thank you for sharing videos.I will see them later.

Shimon

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU Black Friday is now a world wide event! Crazy! Who needs another reason to shop.

Cramping on the run. You might want to experiment with taking additional salt to aid water absorption. You can experiment with a drink like Gatorade Endurance (or similiar sports drink) that has additional sodium. You can also experiment with salt tablets during your long training runs.

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU how is your training going in the new year?

• Options

Dear @Coach Patrick and @matt limbert

Sorry for the late reply.

Recently, I can practice almost as set.As I continue to practice cycling and running, I feel that my body is getting better.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to do FTP Test using Zwift race.When I did FTP test at the end of the year, it didn't work because I couldn't pedal at all, but this time it seems that I can test it properly.

By the way, I want to ask a question on the workout menu next week.The January 25 workout menu has two bike trainings.Both have a high priority, do I have to do both?

Sincerly,

Shimon ENATSU

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU - Was your test the workout you did on January 16th? I see a AVG power of 238, and a really solid training session...but I want to be sure. Here is a quick view of it:

I also wanted to let you know that your training looks really good right now. I am hoping we can get you to be a bit more consistent on the weekly run volume (24 to 28 miles per week for a few weeks). Let me know.

Also, we do have NEW Ironman plans for this year...if you are ready, I can replace the final weeks to your race with this new plan. Please let me know!

~ Coach P

• Options

Dear @Coach Patrick

Yes. I did an FTP test on January 16th. At this time, I did warm-ups and pedaled with Zwift Race to keep the power as constant as possible. That was my PR of 20min Average Power!

Yes,I want to keep my run volume at that you said. Actually, in last week,the weather in Tokyo has been raining and I could not run outside, but this week looks fine, so I try to run as much as possible.

>Also, we do have NEW Ironman plans for this year...if you are ready,

>I can replace the final weeks to your race with this new plan. Please let me know!

Yes, I'm ready.Please set NEW Ironman plan for me.

Sincerly, Shimon

• Options

Congratulations on the new power! You have been doing great work, I hope you are pleased. I will make sure to load the proper plan for you starting on Monday (February).

~ Coach P

• Options

Dear @Coach Patrick

It is very disappointing news.

https://www.ironman.com/im-taiwan

It has been decided that ironman taiwan will be postponed.However, I was worried about whether or not the race was going on so far, and I could not work out well.Now that it's clear, I'm relieved.

By the way, I have no my race schedule. Until my next race schedule is decided, I'd like to do OS plan focusing on bike.

What do you think?

sincerly,

Shimon

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU I am sorry to hear about the virus in Japan and the restrictions on people there. I hope your country has a swift resolution...we are only starting to learn more about the virus and what it means; I am definitely keeping an eye on the news.

Yes to a the OutSeason - it will be bike focused so that you can continue to improve on the bike. We would like you to focus on establishing that workout schedule for consistency practice. The OutSeason has less volume, but more intensity and can be more manageable for you. What do you think? I will change your plan when I hear your reply.

I suggest you reach out to your friend like @Katsuyuki Kiya and @Masaki Kusunoki. You can have the conversation on line here too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/703312746751459/

• Options

@matt limbert

Thanks for your message. I and my family are all fine.

In Japan, school events are restricted and the remote work is recommended to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Usually, when I go to work, the trains are very crowded, but at this time it is clear and easy to commute.

I want to work on practice with the Outseason plan! Actually, I was practicing for ironman taiwan, but on the other hand, I felt that I had not enough time to Bike Focus Block.

It is sad that the postponement was decided, but I think it's good to be able to work on the OutSeason.

• Options

I am glad that you are seeing the opportunity here @Shimon ENATSU ... I think you will respond well to the time on the bike (and maybe more time with the family!?)

Stay safe,

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thank you for your message.😀

Yes, I'm also glad to have more time with my family. My son is five years old. I don't want him to be a triathlete , but he likes to swim, bike, and run.😅

My practice time will be shorter, but more time to play with him. Don't you think it's so good?😁

Best,

Shimon

• Options

@Shimon ENATSU I'm glad you have more time with your family and son. That's great. 😀 I loaded your OutSeason plan. You are all set. Stay safe.

• Options

@matt limbert Thank you. I checked that the plan was set.☺️

• Options

@matt limbert I was busy working last week and didn't have time to practice. sorry...I shifted my plan for a week. I'll do my best from this week.

Regards,

Shimon