Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

Help with some decisions for the NYRR 60k race

some questions for experienced Ultra runners and others

Background Did Kona 10-12-19 3:3136 marathon felt pretty good during and after. I did multiple weeks of 36-42 miles during 2-3 months up to race. I did one rest week after race and then 35miles last week with long run of 10 miles. The 60 k is on 11-17-19 on the rolling park road in Central Park not including the big hills. This would be my first ultra.

1 Is doing this race a dumb idea and should I just not do it?

2 If I do it what should I do this weekend? 22 Saturday 15 sunday? 17/17?

3 Can I do another double the weekend before the race and if so shorter or the same length and just do one week taper?

4 If my Kona marathon was at 8 minute miles and my TRP is 7:25ish, is it reasonable to go 8's for 37miles and shoot for a sub 5 hours?

Thanks for the input

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I know so little on this topic, but will try to be helpful from what I saw in my friends 200 mile ultra in Central Park.

1-pacing - go slow from early on. Not trail running, slow, but I would guess for you this is likely around mins/ mile. Given that you have no experience at this type of distance (that I know of) how fast you can go is a learning experience and if you do this right, you will likely leave something on the table.

2-rest - do they have an area where you set up your own "aid station?" or have a communal aid/ rest station? Getting off your feet after the first 2 or 3 laps of CP for even 2 minutes will pay big dividends later. Assuming you will have access to a personal gear kit, I'd have clothes for all conditions and a foot care kit allowing you to deal with blisters, hot spots, etc.

wish I had more.. just realized this is 60k not Miles.. so this should be very manageable for you.

• Options

@Robert Sabo

1. If you are already running 35 mile week with 10 mile long run and feeling good your fine.
    2. 15/15 , 20/10 or total 30 miles over 2 days would be my choice, there is no need to do anymore , specially if you have not been doing back to back long runs
    3. definitely go shorter think 12/6 or 10/5 maximum followed by a hard taper off,4,3,2,off kind of week
    4. non technical fast running course I think its reasonable for you to go low 8's to low 9's dont worry about total time until very late say after 30 if your feeling it and the math works then target a time
  • Options

Forgot to add. A course like that lends itself good to a run/walk strategy based on mileage not terrain. Make sure you walk just a little bit every single mile starting at mile 1, do not pass go. Rather than counting time or steps I like to slow to a walk (never stop) , take a good relaxing breath, take a drink or eat if its that mile, take one more good relaxing breath, back to work. Just enough to give the legs and cardio a short rest and swallow without choking or spilling all over yourself.