Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jacklyn Moore Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 06/27/2020 Glacier National Park Half Marathon 
  • 07/25/2020 TRI at the Grove OLY
  • 09/12/2020 Best in the West HIM  

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. . Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on November 07, 2019

• On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/24/2019
  • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/22/2019
  • On 12/23/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/19/2020
  • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020
  • On 4/13/2020  Load the  -- Swim Camp  to end on  04/26/2020
  • On 4/27/2020  Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  6/7/2020
  • On 6/8/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused  to end on  9/13/2020
  • On 9/14/2020  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  9/27/2020
  • On 9/28/2020  Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  10/25/2020

Your Notes

Haven't had an event for 2 years. COming back from a wicked Achilles injury. Currently handling the Run durability without issue. Want to build as more durabile machine. Durability has been a challenge. Body likes long and slow much more than fast and furious.Fitness fair. Haven't done an FTP or run test in a LONG time. My Garmin says my run VO2 max is 42. 

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

•  What will make you consider this season a success?

•  What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

•  Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

•  Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

•  End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

•  End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

•  Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

•  General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

•  Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

•  Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

•  Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

PUUURFECT! LOL. You are adorable.

Sounds solid. Thank you. The only quiestion I have. Probably a stupid one but;

Is there enough running after the 4/6/2020 swim camp to have me ready for a HARD Half Mary? The first 5 miles is climbing. Really want to show well.

Thank you. Adore you. Back at you on the baked goods! Your TOO skinny. Your going to need suspenders soon to keep your pants up.

• Options

Hey Jacklyn -

I really appreciate you telling me I'm too skinny! You know that means I'm just right. I think you and I are on the same page. As your question about being able to do a hard half marathon. I think that's really a function how your January and February go.

Right now I think it's a little premature to make up our minds just yet. Let's see how you feel exiting January, and if it's good, then we will pick up the work of it to have you ready for that hard half marathon. How does that sound?

• Options

You trying to go PRO or something? Just right. What does your wife say? You gotta have enough tush to pinch ya know! IF you don't have enough in the trunk to hold your pants up, WELL.....

As for JOS. Understood Captain.

Did my first brick off a 1.5 hour hard spin class. I did better than I expected. Actually, I'm pretty jacked! Looking forward to a long run in the rain tomorrow. 60 degrees and raining. PERFECT! I get to run through puddles and leaves. Lots of leaves. 😎

Have a great week.

~Jacklyn

#CDA2021

• Options

Hey there Stud McKStud! First place. Sooooo not surprised. So are you now on the donut train?🤣 Ooops Oreo train sorry.

Just completed The November RD block 2. Consistency failure. I was sick most of November including Thanksgiving. Thank you Myah! Did the best I could but yuck. Hope that's all there is of that crap.

Started RD block 3 this week. Feeling pretty good. Still recovering a little from last weeks GI garbage. Woke up today feeling stiff and sore after spin class/brick last night. Was supposed to do long run today. Decided to bump to tomorrow and instead did a recovery swim with yoga and planning a recovery bike this afternoon.

Achilles was barking for some reason yesterday. Iced and stretched. Feels fine today. Thought one more day before long run wouldn't be a bad idea either. Running witht he puppy, Eevee is a mixed bag of blessings. She's starting to get it but still very excited. She looks like a kangaroo most of the time. If she had her way I would be running 7 minute miles. She loves intervals and hill repeats. Running with her changes my stride. I only run her for short runs. She's still a puppy. Her joints won't close for 5ish more months. She's the coolest dog I have ever trained. Super fast and smart. Thank goodness for chuck it balls!

I am getting really excited about the JOS! Mark has signed me up for Zwift. Looking forward to seeing what the hype is all about. Have a great week.

Jacklyn

#CDA2021

• Options
    Great update! One of the reasons why we do run durability is the time of
    year is to create a baseline level of activity that has a pointed in the
    right direction. I expect that things will go wrong, that’s just what Light
    does.

As superheroes, we can only exert so much control on our reality during the
    year and we usually use it all up when it’s race time. Feel free to work in
    walks or long hike as alternate training sessions for the run so we can
    continue to strengthen your Achilles and all of your connective tissue in
    preparation for January.

Can’t wait to see you on le zwift!

Co
  • Options

Happy 2020!

I'm sitting here looking at Final Surge trying to plan out next week. It's finally here. My first OS in 2 years.! Loaded up the Bike focused. Might load up the swim too. I usually try and swim once a week. Nothing too sparky.

I am a little apprehensive! The plan has changed a lot. Are we going to have double run Thursday? I liked those. Saw who the captains are. Couldn't ask for better. Mark's getting me hooked on Zwift. That's FUN! We are Zwifting as a family. It's pretty brutal.

Well.....Here's to another adventure.

TTFN,

Jacklyn

• Options

Loved The pictures that you posted on Facebook, thank you for sharing and it’s great if you guys are Zwifting together as a family… How much fun is that? 😝

The double ones that you mentioned it don’t happen until we have a race track program, right now we are just on the outside program which is a little more focused. Yes to swimming, I think the more balanced you can be in your training and the better. If we can learn anything together over the last couple years instead of finding that baseline level of activity that gets you healthy and doesn’t tip you over the edge is really important.

onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited January 12, 2020 2:31AM

Howdy!

JOS wk 1 done and dusted. I forgot how much fun it is to be hooked up with a group of people rowing upstream together.

JOS wk 1 BF L2 in summary;

Swim 0

Bike 50 miles ( Zwift)

Run 5 miles on TM

CORE 20 min x2

Didn't run on Tuesday d/t a left foot injury that resolved with rest, ice and taping. Hence the TM and not the open road. Just being careful. Didn't run Saturday because my legs are THRASHED and Hubs wants to Zwift date. He won't be able to next week. Thought I would build some SAU's. 😍

His PTSD is acting up and this is one of my interventions to help him. It's amazing to me how few people use activity as an effective co modality for mental health challenges. It truely is the most under utilized anti depressant. I might be spending a little more time biking than running d/t this. We will see. He is expressing a significant improvement in mood. So win/win. #wife#CPR

Being very careful with the increase in intensity. I didn't hit all the training sessions but I am THRILLED! Feeling very satified with the quality of the work I have done. Made a couple scheduling mistakes this week. Learned from them and adjusted for next week.

Thanks Coach!

PS I want en EN Zwift jersey!

• Options
    So happy to get these updates again! As you know, I’m not as concerned
    about you hitting each session as written as I am about you hitting
    consistent sessions.

I know that you are able to navigate the plan according to your body, that
    is one of your many superpowers. I am 100% OK with you swapping out some
    time on the run for time with hubby...huge win-win there.

In order to get the jersey you just have to finish one of our organize
    rides. Probably the “easiest” one would be our Sunday night or Monday night
    “bump” Races. Should take you about 30 minutes or so to finish it, and when
    you do you will have the jersey in your Zwift garage.

Coach P
  • Options

QUestion:

A couple of the guys said to swag my weight in Zwift to meet the 2.5 w/kg to ride with the group. Is that really fair/legal? I don't mind working for it but i'm not sure I will ever make that kind of ration.

I am looking forward to Saturdays update too. Superpower- Thanks. I do have Wonder women coffee cup.

😎

• Options
    Yes it’s ok, just don’t “win” anything. So you can’t sprint for a Jersey
    when weight doping or try to win a race but group rides are ok. For races,
    you can always “exit” before the finish so your numbers don’t count vs the
    real peeps!
  • Options

Howdy!

End of week 2 BF OS

Summary as follows:

Swim 0

Bike 42

Run 8 miles (2.3 more than last week).

Body comp down 3 pounds. Not sure I like that rate of weight loss. Will see if it continues.

Feeling rather lousy yesterday and today. Did ride for 30" on Zwift but then called it. No gas in the tank. Tomorrow is another day!

I am baking myself a Twinkie birthday cake! When you turn 47 everyone should have a Twinkie.😎

• Options

I got the jersey! I got the jersey!

On to week 3.

• Options

Congratulations on earning the jersey! That’s a massive accomplishment. It can take some people months to figure out what they need to do! 😂

more importantly, I love the forward progress. Things are looking pretty good for me at this end, I hope week three treats you well.

• Options

Hi.

SOrry it's been so long. Completly missed JOS wk4. Dang FLU! Still maintaining a low grade temperature but feeling much better. Lungs are a little tight. Rode Zwift for a couple rides. Turned down to % to 90. Felt it better to be low and have room to move than run out of gas. ROde 1 hour last night. 3x12". DId well for the first 2 sets but when I ran out of gas it was fast and sudden. DANG! Called it at 60".

"DOn't be a hero than be a zero."

Obviously no testing this week. Maybe not next week either. I do plan on getting with it next week. May have to modify a smidge but i'll see. #workworks

Husband last night stated, " your calves look untrained." I haven't decided yet. Arsenic in his ice cream or cyanide in his coffee. 😤

Have a great week!

Jacklyn

• Options

Arsenic or cyanide...I say BOTH!! 🤣How dare he...

You are making the right call; I am in the "exit illness" stage as well...when it feels good, roll with it. When it pushes back, shut it down. There should be no big hit-out workouts this week, just consistency. Your body will appreciate it.

That flu had better look out! Jack-attack is imminent! 💪

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey, where’s my update? I can see you in the group me chat telling folks about your health and wellness, I just want to make sure that you still feel like you’re on track. Let me know if you’re in the fourth row when you get a chance! 💪

• Options

I don't even know where to begin.

I have been dx with pericarditis. Dx was 7 days ago. I had a head cold 3 weeks ago. Got over that was starting to get back at it but just couldn't get going. HR was all over the place. What cinched it was I tried to run 1 mile. Gave it all I had and couldn't muster a 15 minute pace. I have never had my legs feel like that before. Shortness of breath with walking. No cough. Swelling hands and feet. It really sucks. I took last week off completely. All I did was walk my dog. I didn't even try to do anything. Recovery- up to 6 weeks. But usually 2-3 weeks in the acute phase but can become chronic.

Luckily ALL my tests are normal. EKG looked great. I have a sexy heart beat! If I am still having pressure and fever by next week. I get to go see my favorite cardiologist and have an echo. Yipee!

I am so ANGRY, FRUSTRATED and PISSED! I have no plan. That's why I hadn't emailed you. I am all over the place. I am so tired of being a disappointment. I have no idea. As for the OS. I don't think I am even in the building anymore much less the 4th row. June 25th isn't looking very promising right now. (If you had a $1 for everytime one of us was injured/sick and pissed. You'd be rich.)

I appreciate you checking in. It gave me the warm fuzzy's. My co-workers thought it was funny that I was in trouble. They liked your Coach drone. None of them are future customers. I'd be happy if I could get them to stop drinking red bull and monsters by the case.

I am planning on riding zwift today. A slow, gentle spin. Nothing ambitious. My HR has been much steadier and I feel pretty good today. I guess see how this week goes? Then decide about the OS.

Currently deep cleaning the house and getting caught up on yard work.

Have a great day!

Jacklyn

• Options

Update for YOU big boy!

I awakened today with NO chest pain/pressure. None! WOOT WOOT! It's a beautiful day. Yep.

I am continuing to move gently. Still deep cleaning my house.

😎

• Options

Well that was short lived. While at work Sunday I was ratted out and then cornered by my friend. She's a great cardilogist. Got chewed out for not calling her. Needless to say. She has scheduled me for a bunch of tests. So far echo normal (actually my heart function is fantastic! Serious cardiac outpt. #workworks). My EKG x2 are normal. Tomorrow I go in for a tredmill stress test and holtor monitor. The prevailing though tis that I am recovering from an UNKOWN( COVID19) virus that has irritated my heart. Because I have some significant risk factors for coronary artery disease she is giving me the million dollar work up.

Coach, I think my OS is done. When I have something to work with I will let you know. I am still focused on doing my half mararthon in June. Even if I have to walk it! It's too beautiful to not experience.

One thing that has come out of this, is that I will be reaching out to my Sports Nutritionist for a plan. Body comp needs to improve. That's next week. Need to finish this first.

Have a great week!

Jacklyn

#CPR

• Options

Interesting week.

Treadmill stress test done. My friends who ran it were duly impressed. They had to crank up the TM to 16% to get my HR into the zone they wanted. It's really hard to run holding on when it's that steep! My friend said she had the same thing in January. Started as a head cold.

Now I am wearing a 14 day cardiac monitor. I am supposed to go about my life. Yes. I clarified training too. She said yes. I just have to report when and how long.

So next week I will endevor to consistently move. I rode the trainer and did Zwift for 30 minutes. First time this week. My Garmin gave me a -3. Not sure what that means.

Have a great week.

Jacklyn

• Options

@Jacklyn Moore Ok, we say goodbye to the OS...what do you need to stay consistent here? Or can you follow a modified OS like you are now until after you get feedback from DR re the results of your heart rate stuff?

• Options

HOWDY!

Not sure. Went for a 2 mile run/walk yesterday. Allowed HR to be my guide. Walked when HR was over 135bpm. Garmin gave me a -1 this time. So I think improving. Felt ok. Can tell I haven't sucked wind in a while. Rib cage tight and stiff. No coughing. VI was slow but good.

Dr Virgillio wants me to live my life BUT not too intense. My stress test was perfect. She feels it's ok to start to climb back on the horse. SLOWLY!

The reason for the heart rate monitor is that I am having a crap ton of palpatations at rest. We aren't sure if it's electrical or just stroke volume up ticks. Monitor comes off 3/19/2020. I am no longer having chest pressure.

Today, I plan on Zwifting for 30 minutes. Again allowing HR to be my guide. Keep it under 135 bpm. I would love to know how Garmins algorithum figures out the performance calculation. I feel pretty good. We just received our first Corvid 19 person at the hospital. Was able to wear N95 mask all day at work without an issue. They aren't easy to wear.

I was planning on alternating run/bike for this week. 2 mile flat run/walk with 30-45 min ride on Zwift. See how it goes. I am just playing it week by week.

I hope you and your girls are keeping your heads down and stay healthy.

Thanks Coach.

Jacklyn

• Options

@Jacklyn Moore I am following your progress in the GroupME, and I know you are on a bit of a roll with your consistency -- awesome! Let's take the days as they come and not force anything.

I like the alternate days plan, and some strength work / no cardio on at least one day (if not two early on) just so your body can handle the increasing training load.

And we'll set 3/19 as your Independence Day!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi fellow isolate!

Well, i've been given the all clear by my cardiologist to get at it. So I need a "get at it plan". I am seriously fat and out of shape. No access to swim. Was thinking of the balanced plan. Here's the thing. I don't know what the next couple weeks/month is going to bring. We are currently phasing in new capacity for COVID patients. I am on-call at least 2 days a week on top of scheduled work. FLexibility is key and I don't want to take a hit on my immunity as well.

I know that I may have a half marathon in June. I really want to be ready but I also realise that maybe a little much right now. I was quit sore after my 2 mile run with EEvee yesterday. On the bike today. JUst phasing things back in.

I hope this finds your family well. Including your Mom. Several of my friends have lost their Moms this week. Please accept my blessings of good health.

See ya Super dude.

• Options

@Jacklyn Moore -- always great to "here" your voice. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends, we are OK right now but who knows what the future will bring? I think one of the biggest challenges right now is all the uncertainty around this thing that we just don't understand.

That said, I am super honored to be able to give you a get back at it planned. June is still a ways off but you are right, the soreness and fatigue on the early side will be real.

I vote that you use the balanced half marathon plan, and start with level 1 super easy stuff. That's exactly 12 weeks which is the perfect build up. Let me know if you need help with it.

~ Patrick

• Options
    edited April 7, 2020 4:36PM

Good Morning!

Sounds like a date to me! Balanced half it is. Weather this week is going to be epic so hubs and I are heading out on the road on Friday for a bike date. I am finding quarentine a BLAST! I am such a home body that it's just busines as usual. I've gotten Myah started cross stitching.

The anecdotal information coming from boots on the ground is basically, there is nothing typical or consistant. There is a pattern devleoping that appears to be different disease presentation in different areas of the world. Not sure how much is due to ethinicity,age or if it's mutated. There is also a male/female difference as well. Women are more likely to die. The same as in heart attacks. Speacking of heart attacks. When I had my echo done. My friend did it and we spent a lot of time watching my heart beat. It was absolutely fascinating! He had never seen a "trained" heart before. I was really amazed too! I didn't think i was all that TRAINED. We could tell that my myocadium was very efficient and flexible. I knew there were adaptive mechanisums to endurance training but to actually see it. My calculated ejection fraction was 73%. Normal is 60-65%. My aorta and carotid arteries were very flexible and dynamic. Not related to high pressures. I figured, because i have had high blood pressure since Myah was born, that I would have poor vascular compliance. NOPE. Our theory, because there is no antibody test yet, is that the adaption saved my life. WOOT WOOT. Another testiment to the endurance life style.

So......here we go. Mark and I figure that our June vacation in going to be bust. If that happens we have a half marathon route picked out. So adapt and over come. Lets roll baby!

TTFN,

Jacklyn

PS- I loaded up the Balanced half and theres an FTP test scheduled EVERY tuesday. I guess but.....that might burn a few matches. I am also going to add a bike ride on thursdays and cut the long run down from 6 miles to 4 this week. Maybe.

• Options

Howdy!

Quick summary of week 1 Balanced Half marathon. Not too bad

Swim-0

Bike-35 miles (20 open road)

Run-7 miles .

The run is work. There is nothing easy about it. Mental or physical. Just really slow and cumbersome. I shortened all the distances to 2 miles. Believe me that is hard enough. Did the strides and tempo work as directed though. the half mile intervals were fun. Ran those with Eevee. She thought it was great.

Next week I will endeavor to increase the run mileage a bit. Will also be biking with hubs later in the week. The open road calls my name!!!!

Talk soon.

JAcklyn

• Options

@Jacklyn Moore I love LIFESAVING endurance lifestyle. 💪

2 miles is perfect...if you can, try spinning on the bike for 20 to 30 minutes before you run and see if that helps you out. You could eliminate the need to just run and warm up and maybe "start" running in a better state? Let me know!

• Options
    edited April 14, 2020 3:50PM

Ok. You HAVE to be the cutest Coach EVER! Just want to pinch your cheeks! 🤣I don't think I have said this in a LONG time but I really appreciate and respect everything you do. I can't thank you enough for your support and coaching over the years. There have been some really brutal times in my life and you and the team have been there. Thank you. Just wanted to sprinkle some gratitude glitter. It's how I ROLL baby!

I will give the bike thing a go. That's one way to add bike mileage.

Oh. Because the Balanced Half Mary plan has a BIKE FTP tesy every Tuesday. I will be changing that to an open road free for all. What say you?

TTFN

Jacklyn