Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Gary Lewis 2019 IMAZ Race Plan

FACTS: 

FTP: 199

VDOT: 33 

WEIGHT: 165 LBS 2.65 w/kg 

This will be my third IM and second at AZ. Going into this race, I feel like I got to the training party late. Had early year travel and commitments. I also decided to help lead a 83 mile backpacking trip in the end of July. Really started training in September. Goal #1 is to enjoy the day. Ironman is something we “get” to do. It is the ice cream sundae after eating vegetables for months. Goal #2 is to race myself to a 12:59:59 or less. This is obtainable but is not a given with my current fitness. EXECUTION NOT FITNESS will get me there.

SWIM ~1:15

Line up at the back of the 1:10 swimmers, get to swim start early. I have decided to wear my older EN tri-top instead of the Castelli speed suit, under my Roka Maverick wetsuit. Try to swim steady, relaxed, visualize rotation and climbing the ladder, then swim some more until it is over. Focus on stroke. Think long in the water. Exit the ramp, pull off cap and goggles along with taking arms out. Leave goggles and cap inside sleeve. Find a wetsuit stripper to get the rest off. Run carefully on the cold slippery concrete to T1

T1 (allowing 7:30)

They have changed the swim exit since the last time I raced here. Enter the T1 chute, round the corner and grab my bag that will be marked with bright yellow duct tape. Chamios cream on, put on EN bike jersey. Extra step, but will keep me warm for the first part of the ride, and is not too hot to wear for the whole ride. Put on Rudy Wing57 helmet with sunshade, tri shoes, put wetsuit in bag, hand to volunteer and exit tent. Jog/walk bike to mount line and get on bike. 

BIKE ~6:30 (RR was 6:15 with 6:00 of moving time)

Keep power low to the top of the Beeline. Ride the bike closely monitoring my Garmin 520. It will be set to lap every 3 miles and I will try to keep average power at 140, which should give me a NP of 133 for the whole ride. 520 will be set to remind me each 30 minutes to drink. Drink full tank from Ventum with one concentrated bottle in rear cage. Second cage will be empty and will pick up water at aid stations for cooling, sipping and later mixing with Infinit. Banana Bread Lara bar in bento box in the event I desire solid food, but not necessary. Consume at least 2 full tanks of slightly strong mixed Infiinit during ride (~3l) which will be ~1500cal. Spare Infinit concentrate in SN bags, in the event I need more or something goes wrong. Refill water as needed from AS. Stay aero, as much as possible, only sitting up to pee or stretch as necessary. Remove feet from shoes .25 mile before T2 and leave shoes on the pedals. Stop at dismount line, get off bike, jog/walk bike to T2

T2 ~5:00

Hand off bike to volunteer. Grab T2 bag, remove helmet and bike jersey, lube toes with Vaseline and put on socks pre-lubed with Vaseline and rolled down in shoes, shoes, and take go bag. Exit T2 and start watch for run.

Run ~5:00

Utilize run/walk to keep HR low for the first few miles. Bike HR never goes above 130. Keep HR around 145, walking the AS until mile 22ish, then run best pace I can to the finish. Eat one gel at second AS with water and every 6 miles until sick of them and bananas occasionally as treats when not taking gels. Walking the aid stations and getting GE at each one, switch to coke when I get sick of GE. Water on head as necessary. Challenge to run entire 26.2. When I need my one thing, think of LCPL John Farias and his family, one of my “why’s” - I’m honoring him through Memories of Honor. Cross the finish line and hear Mike Reilly call my name.

BAGS: 

T1 BAG marked with fluorescent yellow duct tape and numbers on it 

Small towel, Helmet , shoes

BIKE SPECIAL NEEDS BAG 

1 Bottle of Infinit concentrate, 1 extra tube, 1 extra CO2 

T2 BAG marked with fluorescent yellow duct tape and race number on it 

Socks in each shoe and rolled and lubed with Vaseline for easy entry 

Vaseline, Hoka Rincon shoes 

Go bag (clear zip-lock) inside T2 bag:

Tylenol, EN Visor, Race belt with number, Sunglasses

RUN SPECIAL NEEDS :

Tylenol 

Things to take to morning start: 

Bike pump

Bottle electrolyte water to sip.

Baby wipes and TP in zip-lock bag

24oz bottle for bike Infinit in rear cage 

Light jacket 

Throw away pair of socks 

MORNING RACE BAG 

IM Swim cap, Aquasphere clear swim goggles, silicone ear plugs

RACE MORNING 

3:30am Wake up, Apply sunscreen, Glide, put on HRM, race kit and warm clothes. 

Make bagel with Almond butter. Make and drink 2 cups of coffee. Hopefully use the RR to lighten the load before leaving house. Take hard boiled eggs, banana and electrolyte water, jump in truck and drive to Tempe. 5:00am Walk to Transition. 

5:30am Body marking. 

5:40am Transition: Pump up tires. Confirm chain on smallest gear. Add bottles to rear, fill tank, turn on Garmin Edge and calibrate with PM. Turn Garmin off.

Make sure fluorescent yellow duct tape can be seen when bag is on the ground. Do not “tie” the bags.

5:45am Sit with Ronda along canal. Give Ronda phone and visualize a smooth day. 

6:20am Put on wetsuit. 

6:30am Head over to water entry. 

6:45am Line up just behind the 1:10 sign 

GO

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Gary Lewis Great plan, well-thought out. You said you're late to the party, but I've seen you post some great swim, bike, and run workouts over the past few weeks. You're ready. The firsthand knowledge of the course you have will pay dividends as you work your way through the day.

I look forward to getting to meet you next week and sharing the course with you. Thanks again for the t-shirts, dinner reservations, etc.

• Options

@Gary Lewis as Jeff mentioned, you may feel you started late but it seems like you finished with a really quality block of training. You are ready to execute the plan you have laid out. Your prior experience at IMAZ will benefit you also. Looking forward to meeting you and sharing the course. Thank you for your work organizing dinner and T-shirts.

• Options

Bases covered, ready to roll. Don't be flashy, but don't dawdle, andyopu'll have a smile on your face at the end, I bet.

• Options

@Gary Lewis - Been so fun training together virtually this year my friend.

I love your plan and your "One Thing" mentioned above!

What is your "Day before" routine in terms of diet?

Having raced IMAZ twice, looking at your plan and knowing your experience, I predict and IMAZ PR for you this year!

As always, no matter what, KMF!

• Options

@Gary Lewis I'm the guy who has done a few IM's undertrained I've learned that the less I have trained the less matches I have to burn. Stick to the plan if you are feeling good, don't over reach on the swim or bike and take what the day gives you. My line has been mile 20 or even 22 on the run. Have a great race.

• Options

make sure u know your PM # and it is paired before u drop your bike... your garmin will detect a ton of PM/HR and what not on race day

funny we race az same years ;)

• Options

A 6:15hr total with 6:00hr moving time Bike RR with no draft will be much faster than a 6:30hr bike split on what is the 3 lap crowded course of IMAZ. Not that time is relevant, riding your power, it will be what it will be, just saying. Here's to your sub 13. Good Skill Cya Soon

• Options

Everyone, thanks for reading and the votes of confidence. I'm taking this as a good sign that I Have no MAJOR flaws.

@Shaughn Simmons, no particular plan for the day before, maybe hitting "Matt's Big Breakfast" - great place nearby on Saturday morning after watching my cousin race the sprint. The advantage of being at home for a race, is I can do whatever and still get to bed early.

@DAVID RICHMOND this week, getting everything cleaned up and the batteries replaced in every device I own. Leaving the computer on the charger in my truck this time overnight, so I don't repeat last IMAZ.

@tim cronk not sure if you think I will go faster that 6:15 or slower. I'm giving myself a cushion to not get too aggressive, but would like to see 6:15, and if I do happen to ninja the ride, possibly 6:00. - I think all the unicorn dust you left me is definitely gone by now.

• Options

just so u know...back in 2016, my 2 bike RR were 5h43 @145NP....race day was 5h20 @139NP... Race day kit/bike gear, AS on the go and all the legal draft u get on raceday + the fact that u are rested ;)

U will go way faster ;)

just race smart

• Options

@Gary Lewis - Well thought out plan! You've rocked your training the last few weeks! Race smart and have fun!

• Options

@Gary Lewis this could be the race you've been waiting for!

Keep making micro decisions on the run to avoid gut issues. When you think you want to take a Tylenol try to put it off. You're suppose to hurt, work with it. Tylenol could tip your gut in the wrong direction, mainly nausea, especially if you're dehydrated.

IM is a day of problem solving. Race smart. Show up with confidence. Don't tell yourself you're undertrained.

Have a great race!

• Options

@Gary Lewis - Looks like you have everything covered in your plan. Know your plan B just in case an obstacle or two pops up. Race smart and race strong sticking to your plan. And remember your goal #1...Enjoy the day!