Home General Training Discussions
Options

Old Stryd vs new Wind Stryd

Been running with Stryd for a year. Love the thing. Can't see myself ever going back to pace based running, training, and racing. However, my Stryd has decided its battery won't hold a charge. Its good for 1 run and that's it. It must be on its little charging doc at all times. If its not, the battery drains quickly. 

I spoke with Gus at Stryd and they will replace it with the same version for free (they must have some sitting around because you can't purchase it), or 50% off the new Wind version.

I like free. Free is my friend. But getting the newest version for $110 is pretty tempting.

Is it worth it vs free? 

Consider: I don't use Stryd to its fullest capability or even close to it. I'm not a deep dive data geek. I give the data a glance in the powercenter, but really only consider and pay attention to power.   While running the screen on my FR945 reads Power (3s) and HR. I don’t use the Stryd Zones thing that recently came out, or get into any of the other fancy data points one can display and track while running. Much like my power meter on the bike, I have target watts and I try to hold that number as best as possible. 

Will the new Wind version just be a waste of data collection that I won’t use, and real time data that could confuse or overwhelm me, making me revert to the watts and watts only way I currently run? $110 is really cheap for this so tempted. But I like to save money like everyone else. Thanks!

Comments

• Options

I don't use the stryd (or WKO4) to the fullest extent/capability yet either. I would think mastering one (or both) of those would be better first step.

At least that's what I'm telling myself as I avoid the spending on the stryd and WKO5 upgrades.

I like free too!

• Options

FWIW - DC Rainmaker tested the new Stryd footpod on a treadmill in a wind tunnel:

The takeaway, for me, was that it does what it claims to do which is to reflect the effect of windy conditions on run power. IMO, even if you don't use all the detailed metrics and only look at power during the run, you're still getting a more accurate power number on windy days with the new footpod. At least that's how I rationalized upgrading ;-)

• Options

I'm not smart enough for WKO4 or 5.  What was my power?  How far did I run?  How long did it take?  What were my splits?  That's my deep dive post workout or race. 

I do think it would be worth my time to try and go a little bit deeper and start figuring out my RE and other metrics to try and improve them through better form and

But I did order the new wind version. For $100 I couldn’t pass it up

• Options

I have an old Stryd which I would definitely trade for $100 for the new one. I just can't justify $200

• Options

we should start a thread to learn more about using Stryd - I'm like most and don't use the device to its full potential!

• Options

I am also a “real time” Stryd guy. It keeps my warm-up a warm-up. By the time the real work starts, a quick assessment of RPE and running power has already given me an assessment of my functional running fatigue. I plan to look at late run “leg spring” as a measure of running muscle endurance to find the sweet spot for long runs, which as an older athlete, I use sparingly.

• Options

I think the new wind stryd is a no brainer, after all its not a real power meter measuring force with a strain gauge, but a calculation, anything that will make that calculation more accurate is a no brainer. The question is how much is it worth?