Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

Brian Hagan - 2019 IMAZ Race Plan

Here we go!

Ironman Arizona will be my 6th full IM. I feel like I've been in race prep mode since April, because I raced Half IMs in June and August and now a full next Sunday. This is one of the most consistent training blocks I've had in a while (except the vacation the first week of July). You can see the CTL increases so gradual.

My goal for this race is to break 11 hours. My PR is 11:26 at Louisville, but I am a better runner and cyclist now, and this is an easier bike course. The swim will not be current assisted like Louisville, and the both course's runs are flat.

Stats: Peak CTL = 118 (but its been around 111 for 6 months)

Swim - Peak CTL = 16 (I do 20 TSS per 1000 yard) - Wetsuit pace 1:40 - Goal 1:10 - 1:15

Bike - Peak CTL = 63 190 Watts to 200 Watts will be me target. BBS has this at 5:13, which I do not believe. Goal 5:30.

Run - Peak CTL (I use Power TSS with Stryd) = 42 - My 4 long runs greater than 2.5 hours averaged 8:45 pace. My race rehearsal runs were at 8:56 (first one) and 8:36 (second one with an hour transition), but I will run to HR/RPE, so these are only data pieces to help guess at what speed that may be. I will be chasing 4:00, but I will worry about that after mile 18.

Final Week (copy format from @Al Truscott )

Sunday: swim 4 X 1000

Monday: Swim 45 minutes

Tuesday: Bike Week 20 IM Plan. Run 30 minutes; pack non-tri stuff; pack nutrition.

Wednesday: Swim 30โ€™ per plan. Run 30โ€™. Pack

Thursday: Fly to PHX: arrive in Phoenix at 11:11 Yolo! Get rental car and drive to hotel. If possible, I'd like to get check in over with and get bike from TBT. I need to check what is in repair box and buy whatever I don't have. I will pack a few tubes.

Friday: Drive to Beeline for out and back from gas station. Evening team dinner @ Pita Jungle. La wife flies in that evening and lands during dinner. Charge Di2 and stryd.

Saturday: Breakfast with la wife and whoever. I plan to go to practice swim at 10:00 AM. Run 15โ€™ on north shore; pack bags and deliver to T zone. Identify Transition landmarks and distance from change tent. Bike check for me is 12:00 to 1:00.

Rest of day will do as little as possible. will watch college football and have early dinner. Charge Garmin.

Race Day

Wake up 4:00 and drink 2 Naked smoothies and a coffee.

Put on on suntan lotion, kit, Garmin 935, throw away running shoes, HR monitor, chip, sweatshirt

Leave for transition around 5:o0

carry wet-suit, goggles, cap, 2 gels, water for bike and washing down gels, pump for bike, Garmin Edge 830, Infinite and arm warmers.

Put Edge on aero-bottle. Fill aero-bottle with water. put arm warmers on bike. Put Infinit concentrate in rear bottle cage. Put air in tires. Go back to room (close walk).

Take one gel 45 minutes before swim and the second about 10 minutes before

Head to swim start 6:15

Line-up @ beginning of 1:10-1:20 group.ย 

Swim:

I will use my Garmin 935 watch for the swim, but not for the bike. It auto-laps every 200 yards, and I like to see the data after.

I need to keep focused keep my effort level where it needs to be. There are a couple of early turns that I will need to get to before it straightens. I would love to find feet, but will not be a focus. I will instead focus on keeping my cadence up, completing my pulls, sighting, rotating my hips. Pulls and hips will take care of each other.

TI - take off swim cap, goggles and wet-suit top while fast walking to wet-suit stripper and make eye contact and point. Down and back side and then back up. Wet-suit in hand, run T1 bag.

TI bag will have helmet and Triathlon bike shoes (maybe socks) and gloves. Dump bag, put on helmet, socks, shoes, gloves in hand. I am hoping to pass a lot of people here, as I suspect a lot of people will be bundling up for the 50 degree temps. If I have to pee, I will go to Porto potty. I have no ability to pee on myself. I am willing to try, but I'd like to start the ride comfortable.

Bike - Nutrition plan is to hit the Infinit bottle (4 sips) every hour (287 calories, 71g carb, 491mg sodium, 226 mg potassium) starting when I first pull out of T1. I carry 5 hours of concentrated custom vegan Infinit mix. I Also have a gel flask that contains 5 gels. I hit this on the half hour between Infinit servings unless I feel full. I plan to grab a bar at what ever aid station is around the last turn-around for the ride back.

Goal watts will be between 190 to start and settle into 195. That will seem easy to start and then harder towards the end. Stay aero as much as possible. I am assuming there will be plenty of opportunity to pass people with three loops. I will do as much "legal" drafting as possible for each pass. I will grab water and top off aero-bottle at aid stations.

Heading into T2 I will take feet out of shoes, around 200 yards from dismount, stop Garmin, get off bike and hand to volunteer, run to T2 bag, taking off arm warmers and gloves if I still have them.

T2 - Inside bag will be go bag, socks and shoes (Nike Vapor Fly 4%). Go bag will have EN trucker hat and race belt. I plan to stock up on a few gels in my jersey pocket on the bike.

Take off helmet, dump bag, put helmet in bag with arm warmers and gloves. Put on Vapor Flys and fresh socks. Grab go bag and hand T2 bag to volunteer. Turn on Garmin watch. Pee in Porto-potty if I need to and there is no line. If not, run till I find one that is open. Put on hat and race belt while running.

Run - Plan to start with HR same as last bike mile. I'd like to start out in the mid 130s. It will climb the entire run until I end up in the upper 150's. Secondary (eventually primary) will be pace. 9:10 is the pace for 4 hour marathon and I will use that as a whip assuming my HR can handle. This is slower than I've run in long runs and long-ride brick runs, but I want to be conservative to start. I don't even need to think about going faster until halfway through second loop.

I know I said earlier that 10:59:59 is my goal, but the only way I will get there is if I stick to my plan and run conservative until mile 18 to 20 of the run. I believe if I follow my swim and bike plan, I should definitely be able to brake 4 hours on the marathon and 11 hours for the race.

I feel really fit. Body comp did not get to where I wanted, but I am very happy with how I feel on long bike rides and long runs. There will be so much EN team awesomeness there as well as my wife, so I've got lots of sources to give me inspiration throughout the race.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I probably shouldn't say this, but I have NO DOUBT you will be sub 11 hours on Sunday - more like 10:40-45. Even with a 4:0X marathon. Swim like you did yesterday, just stay steady on the bike, even splits on all three loops, and follow that up with your 9:1X miles on the run.

• Options

@Brian Hagan You've got a solid plan and consistent training coming in to this race. Have a great race

• Options

@Brian Hagan You sound confident, that's awesome. It's going to be a good day. Compared to UltraMan this nothing for you.

Go fast!

• Options

@Brian Hagan solid PR goal, backed by prep, itโ€™s all between the ears. No limits. Cya Friday! Good Skill!

• Options

@Brian Hagan You have a great plan and you know how to execute a smart race. Following you on Strava, I've seen your gains on the bike and you're a much improved runner...you'll definitely smash your goals. Looking forward to tracking you. Have a great race!

• Options

the bike course is "easy" but there is no easy Ironman.. I learned that in Tempe a few years back when I did it for the 3rd time.

I think everything about your plan is great. THE one thing I would pay attention to on the bike is Watts on the way out. if you can get @Al Truscott and others, drive out there today and ride the beeline.. It's uphill out, and you need to respect your watts, and deal with the slow speed. Depending on weather, if windy, it gets windier in your face towards the top as the wind funnels through some features. Don't sweat, you will be doing 40+ on the way back, downhill and tailwind, just watch out for the draft packs and it can get crowded, especially on your 2nd loop of a three loop course.

good skill, sad that I'm missing this party when I had an entry! I'll be watching!

• Options

Such a great build to this race. It seems like everything came together to create a setup for an awesome race. Kudos for putting your goal out there. Certainly seems doable for you. So fun to meet you in IRL! Canโ€™t wait to share the course.

• Options

looks good.

looking forward to mixing it up with you.

have a great day.

• Options

@Al Truscott Thanks! I will take your advice and try so hard to prove you right!

@Gordon Cherwoniak Thanks!

@Sheila Leard Thanks! I hope not overly confident. I am sure I will get punched in the face at some point

@tim cronk looking forward to seeing you and Heather! Weather is looking perfect.

@Derrek Sanks back at you man! You are always leading from the front and setting a great example.

@scott dinhofer i wish you were here as well. Louisville was so fun with you there. Yeah, I road the Beeline today and came to that conclusion. 18 mph and way over goal watts. You are so right! I flew back on the way down. Have fun skiing!

@Sid Wavrin It is going to be epic! I canโ€™t wait to see you and everyone else out there in EN kits. Looks like we will have a nice outdoor ride in real life!

@Robin Rodriguez so glad to finally meet you. It will be so fun!