Home Racing Forum 🏎

Rich Stanbaugh IM AZ Race Plan

Every year, I swear off November races.

Every year, I race in Aug/Sep/Oct and don’t want the season to end, amnesia sets in and I register for a late-season race.

Arizona will be my third IM event this year following Traverse City 70.3 and IM Louisville. I am incredibly stoked to have a race with such a huge team presence... that makes up for the insanity that drove me to sign up for a November race again.

Following IM Louisville, I took most of the week off, then kicked off a 4-week training block with a half marathon. Rather than a weekly schedule (like I used all summer), I essentially made a list of workouts that I needed to complete within the 4-week block between races:

• 2 long bikes
  • 2 high intensity bikes
  • The TRP+ bikes
  • 2-3 longish runs
  • 2-3 tempo runs
  • The rest TRP runs
  • 3-4 Vasa/Swims per week

Focusing on the 4-week block rather than the weekly block allowed me to be opportunistic and get outside as the weather allowed rather than being a slave to the schedule. Still work/weather/life were disruptive, and I needed to escape to a warm climate (Texas) for a big volume weekend last week in order to complete the list. Mentally, I feel undertrained – probably because the schedule is not what I am used to. When I look at TrainingPeaks, it is not as bad as it seems. Sunday will be about making the most of whatever is left in the over-tapered tank.

Swim: Threshold ≈ still too slow

Bike: FTP 295w / VO2 66mL/min/kg / Stamina is questionable 

Run: CP 293w / Threshold pace: 7:10/mi / VO2 55mL/min/kg (down since Louisville)

Weight: ≈148# (up two pounds since Louisville)

CTL: We are not going to talk about CTL…

Thursday: Travel day, short run

Friday: Bike shake out at around bike start time (test clothes for warmth), charge all batteries, carbo loading / hydrating, scout swim start / exit / transition

Saturday: Big breakfast, quick practice swim (see how cold water is and/or soak wetsuit in shower/tub), bike drop off, walk/visualize transition, hydrate, organize gear for transition / morning, feet up

Sunday: Alarm 3:45ish, breakfast, warm clothes, setup transition (opens 5am)

Swim: Line up around 1:10, swim straight, find feet if I can, keep turnover up / steady the whole way. Bringing a thicker wetsuit, thermal cap and swim booties; EN speedsuit under wetsuit.

T1: Wetsuit strippers, run to tent, EN bike jersey over speed suit, LG vest (gloves in pocket arm warmers on bike), hand warmers in pockets / shoes, toe warmers on shoes, maybe socks… my top priority is to keep body temp warm on the bike so as not to repeat the Louisville pee-fest. Running with shoes / in shoes depends on transition – well determine after I see it. Will adjust what I am wearing based on shakeout ride Friday AM – may go with tri shorts / dry base layer + bike shirt + vest. Try to be in the 5-minute range.

Bike: Get warm, build into race pace (195 flats, 210 into the wind, 225 little climbs, 180 little descents), stay aero, stay steady, HR builds from 140s to ≈150+bpm, last 20mi get HR back in 140s, target 1-2 bottles per hour fluids (will be able to tolerate more as it warms), 400 cals per hour, ≈1,000mg sodium per hour. Process check at 3 hours, should be 65ish miles / 150 TSS into the ride. If less miles / higher TSS, then drop target powers 5-10w and protect the run. Prep for transition 2mi out (gloves off, feet on shoes, etc). Should be done in low 5:xx hours

T2: run to tent, shoes/socks on, hat on, grab go-bag and go. Will need to adjust based on bike attire… either shed vest / bike jersey and run in EN speed suit, or run in bike jersey or pull on singlet if approaching 70º. TBD

Run: Eat banana from go-bag, gels at miles 2, 5 & 8 (more if I can tolerate), Gatorade at every aid station, water as needed, coke not before mile 14. Keep Stryd power around 225w until cadence comes up to 175-176 (hands high / drive cadence with arm swing), settle into race pace as soon as cadence / HR stabilize, race with RPE – but should see stable HR ≈150bpm (if it drops – get calories in asap) and cadence ≈175spm (if it drops, focus on arms and speed it up). Stryd Power (sanity checker) should be ≈250s-260sw for most of race & I will cap watts below 275 on any little uphills. Limit steps at aid stations. Don’t get soft at mile 20 like last time (Rule #5). Should be 3:45ish.

Finish the race. Nothing is ever where we want it. Weight is good, health is good, strength hasn’t evaporated, fitness has been good all year and is not as bad as I imagine. This isn’t my first rodeo. Just need to execute with what I have.

Smile and have fun - this seems to be the last chance to race with the whole team because everyone is retiring, so make it count!

Tagged:

Comments

• @Rich Stanbaugh Super impressed you turned around after LOU and going for it. At least you have practice on how to deal with the cool temps!

Just a thought .... do you think you would stay warmer if you ran in your wetsuit to the changing tent?

At LOU you mentioned having warm broth. This seems like another scenario for sipping warm vs cold.

The mental fatigue at mile 20 .... caffeine!! Take caffeine. CLIF SHOT - Energy Gel - Double Espresso has 100 mg caffeine, not a wimpy 35 mg. 😲 It takes 16 oz of Coke to get 45 mg.

Excited to track you!! Go fast.

• @Rich Stanbaugh I really like how you prioritized your must do work between imlou and IMAZ . On this mornings walk me- we shoulda signed up for IMCOZ , Heather- we shoulda signed up for nothing.... your in good company and all that matters is your last two paragraphs. Prepare, execute, enjoy. Good Skill!

• @Sheila Leard Great call on the caffein and broth... maybe not that cold, but I packed my little thermos and my Vivarin.

@tim cronk - I am all about the last two paragraphs!

@Al Truscott - Looking forward to seeing your @BadAssery in action!

• Sad that my body fell apart and I can't join the party at IMAZ. I've done this race 3x and it was my first IM ten years ago!

now that we talked about ME!! Let's talk about your race. CTL doesn't matter, @Coach Patrick will be the first to tell you that, you are carrying a ton of fitness that you didn't fully utilize at Louisville. Like Tim said, focus on those last two paragraphs. As the guy that's ridden with you at many camps, you've broken through to a new level of fitness that makes me realize what is possible if I can get healthy! (it's about me again!) that said, I can't wait to see YOU drive the @Rich Stanbaugh fitness freight train around that course. If you can mentally pull together the race, you have everything in place to make it happen. You will be dealt the same cards as everyone else and you DO have the good skills to execute them..

GO GET YOURS! I'll be watching

• nice work.

have a great one.

i will TRY to keep up with you.

• @Rich Stanbaugh i know you will do awesome! Enjoy the day! I look forward to seeing you pass me at some point, I just hope it’s after the swim 😜