Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

DR AZ 2019 RACE PLAN

sorry for being late to the party

as usual, all critics are welcome

INTRO:

This is my 5th IM (last IM was a 37min PR IM AZ 2016 in 10h33m02s) and it will be my 2nd in AZ. Initial ambition was going sub 10 this year but all time goals went out the window a few weeks back when I developed PF and work got in the way...

I live and train (99% of the time) in Tahiti (think Kona like conditions only it doesn’t get as « cold » as hawaii in winter 😃 so your « cool » temps are just « freezing » temp for me (and your hot days are my casual days ;). Cool temp might be a (bad) factor for me but compared to last time, it doesn’t stress me at all

Few things that changed since my last race:

• Got divorced, twins are bigger now but still a lot of work, now a family of 5 with the recent addition of new GF Joy and her daughter Elea to our gang
  • been on and off Keto for a while now and do some intermittent fasting quite often and some longer fast once or twice a year, kinda like it
  • got a secret weapon that I learned from Joy: « you don’t smile because you are happy, but you are happy because you smile… SMILE FOR NO REASON AND FEEL THE CHANGE"

Thursday:

Check in @hotel quite late

Friday:

Get to athlete check in, drive the bike course, get last few parts (CO2, etc..)

Squizz a run and a test ride

pack the bags

Team dinner @18h30??

Saturday:

Drop bags and bike (checked all bolts, cassette is tight, etc..) from noon to 1pm

check swim exit

Not sure I want to do the practice swim, got sick @korea the last time I did

charge garmins

charge Etap batteries

OFF feet

early dinner 

Race Morning: 

HFLC burrito/bullet proof coffee

1l of salt mix

Check Tyres pressure, brakes, add hydration/fuel to the bike, attach Etap battery+spare in bento

warmup: 5’ jog+5’ elastic band then wetsuit on and go seed yourself in the 1h group 20’ before go time

last kiss with Joy

Team pix?

Goals: no time goal, just technique and enjoy the day

Swim: 1h05 MP goggles/booties/Blue seventy thermal helix/blue seventy swim cap

Dark goggles as I’ll sight to the sides+suit+ 1 thermo swim caps+earplugs+swim booties if permitted 

2min before start, take the time to breathe, take in the surroundings and smile at the journey ahead. Be grateful to be on this start line after a hard year.

Position @1h mark, goal is to swim a bit harder than I normally would to stay warm, but stay within myself. Draft where I can but it’s not a goal. Sight to the sides as u scouted and memorized landmarks the days before

T1: I will order a pizza/comfort over free time

Jog to the tent with wetsuit on to stay warm, grab bag, find a seat, get out of wetsuit calmly, take this time to get the HR down. (EN trisuit +vaseline under wetsuit), add cream, jersey, long sleeve jersey,socks, long bib if too cold+shoes)+helmet than gloves as u run to bike. 

Thanx volunteer, ask him to put my swim gear in bag and tell him there is a gift card for him in there. Jog to bike

Bike: 5h15 Tririg Omni 

NP goal of 145 (0.7F). Garmin will show 3sPower/NP lap/distance/time. 6km Auto lap. 

Focus on steady ride

Focus on targeted power #, stay aero. Take a sip of Kcal every 20’. mix of carb / Fat / ketones. Before T2, go for screen 2 of garmin to glance at avg HR

T2: No pizza this time around but nothing like TC

unzip jersey while running to Tent, grab bag,helmet off, bike shoes off, +run shoes on, CREAM, belt on and go with hat and sunnies in hand..(Tylenol?) Thanx volunteer, ask him to put my bike gear in bag and tell him there is a gift card for him in there. Stretch calves before going out (15s each)

Run: 3h45 +/- 2min if pain in foot allow it, and kiss Joy every chance I get      (Altra shoes???)

Garmin 920xt will show pace/Lap pace/time/distance

Steady run @5’30 for a few km to settle in then slowly build to 5’20 and brace for the suck

Last 2km: run like I stole something

Ketones for the 1st part then, coke and water only. Walk 10-15 steps every aid station and thanx volunteers. Monitor RPE and assess/reassess the plan every minute and adapt if necessary. remember to smile, especially when things get tough. When the suck comes, get to your 1thing (4 actually now) and think of all the things they do that make u smile, laugh or melt your heart like Nautai’s laugh or when Iraya holds your head to give u a kiss or their voices when they both say "I love u daddy », Elea’s funny comments and Joy’s love….

Smile at the finish line, thank Joy, coach, teammates and volunteers.

Be grateful to be here

If condition is Ok, bring bike back to hotel, hot shower and clothes and go back to finish line to cheer if other team mates are still out there

NB: if things go south (weather, mechanical, breakdown): ADAPT!!! U KNOW HOW TO DO THIS

REMEMBER TO SMILE

Tagged:

Comments