Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Robin Sarner. Race Report. Ironman Arizona. 2019.

Robin Sarner.        Arizona 2019.  53yo.

Fourth Arizona start with three Arizona finishes.

CDA 2009.  First ironman

Arizona 2012.  10:09.            

Texas 2014. 9:55.

Whistler 2015.   Dnf.  Stopped on the bike due to cold.

Whistler 2016.  10:10.    KQ with second place.

Kona. 2016.

Arizona. 2016.

2017.  off.

Arizona 2018.

Arizona 2019.    Dnf.

--------------------------

19th ironman start.   17 completed Ironmans.      This is my second not finish.

-------------------------------

This report will be fairly personal.              Look away now if you don’t want the mushy details.         And the happenings are not meant as excuses.       Just wanted to share my headspace.          And I suppose I am using this forum to help me process.

When training for and doing these Ironmans, I find it useful to maintain perspective by looked at the big picture.    Most of the world has problems day to day just surviving.    Even a large percentage of the USA population is just trying to get adequately fed and housed.             So, as we know, just being able to do these events is a privilege.               My training and doing these things is not helping world hunger, but, on balance, does contribute positively to my mental health.          

The last few years have been difficult.      No more difficult than most of us but hard enough to the person living it (me).    

Having parents at this age is a luxury but losing one is still difficult.   Dad passed four years ago after a battle with cancer.   Still processing that and there is still rawness involved.       We all have lost loved ones so you all know what is involved.

The big tragedy was my stepdaughter Whitney dying April 2017 of a heroin overdose at 24 years old.    Obviously, a difficult thing for all involved, especially her mother.         I met her mother when Whitney was 13yo and have been the main father figure most of the time since.       Bringing in Ironman, her mother and I did Ironman Regensburg in 2011 and then the three of us had a great trip around Italy.    Unfortunately, Whitney did not make it to Kona with me in 2016 due to active addiction issues. 

And then the divorce was final in August of this year.         There were various contributing factors but obviously the loss of our daughter was part of it.            

So, all this is in the background, day to day and year to year, as I thing about Ironman and what role it should continue to have in my life.      Does it have a net positive role ?     

my wife and I did our first few Ironmans together starting in 2009.   She completed five and that was enough for her.         I continued training and racing while trying to be mindful of the impact on the family.         Part of the reason I developed my time efficient indoor training.      How successful have I been minimizing the negative impact on others ?    I think ok mostly.

As we know, it is hard to work and train.     Due to the above family issues, I cut back my work schedule in the last couple years.       But I still have to work year around and I have fairly limited vacation time.           And work fatigue and training fatigue often battle each other.   

And why pick Ironman specifically when there are a host of other physical challenges I could tackle ?   I do plan on mixing in some more bike events in the next few years.       Am going to hold off on doing endurance running for now – due to knee issues, that would be a one way move leaving damage that would keep me from being competitive in Ironman.            And the other distances of triathlon just don’t have the pull for me.        I had a few years of competitive outrigger canoe racing tying in to my local Hawaiian family in the Pacific Northwest (I grew up mostly on Maui).          And I still dabble in Alpine Scrambling in the area (technical mountain hiking/climbing but not needing ropes).                       And the Ironman brand of the ironman distance is the only racing that has the chance of winning a no expense  paid trip back home.                And I still enjoy the process of training and racing – mostly – there are ups and down for both – like life.           And generally, I do better overall in life if I have a goal (a race) to always be working towards.

Oh yeah, I just did this race called Ironman Arizona.             I enjoyed the interactions in the training weeks leading to the race.                 And it was fun meeting folks, racing with them, and then sharing after the race.         We had some great races.   We had some tough days.     I hope you are all processing positively.    

I had fairly solid training leading to the race.        Not quite the volume I wanted.      And my bike fitness didn’t get quite to what I wanted.          No big interruption with illness or injuries.            Happy that my running fitness is back with the knees staying calm.

Swim.    Lined up with Tim C. and Satish.    Grabbed a hug from Mike Reilly.       Hoping for around 60 minutes.       Got 64 minutes.  Felt good with no muscle fatigue.      Not bad especially as the course may have been long.            And reinforces that I can swim well with the large majority of training being on the Vasa Ergometer.

T1.       Seemed pretty good.  I must have run faster than I thought I was on the long trip from getting out of the swim.      I even put on layers for the cold.

Bike.       Needed to be closer to 5:00.        Was 5:21.   Did a 5:15 previously.   229np.   VI 1.06.    Around 180 lbs.        I think my bike fitness was a bit better than I thought it was.     No power fade.      Felt fairly strong throughout.    In retrospect I might have been able to be less conservative.     The high VI a bit purposeful getting close to spinning out on the downwind legs.          My last lap was 1:42.       If I had done two more of these …              some pees on downwind legs.   Couple pees while stopped standing next to bike on upwind legs – getting older the peeing doesn’t work as well.  (not flashing, just going)

The last few races I have been having nutrition issues.     Even though I train fully with Gatorade Endurance, stomach does not tolerate it at the races.    Love Canada with the regular Gatorade.    So did the fall back plan of increasing water, decreasing Endurance, increasing salt capsules, increasing caloric intake by other means (more gels and bananas).             My hydration was fine evidenced by the amount of peeing, and I think I was ok calorically.

T2.       Was ok.     Quick pee.

Run.   I had ideas of at least equaling my previous best run of 3:25.      My run fitness was the best I have had for a couple years.           I felt pretty good the whole run (energy wise).        I think I ran better than 8:00 pace for most of the completed 13.1.              got some juice from seeing others out there : Tim C., David Richmond, Sid W, 1-2 others ?.

The left posterior thigh pain first hit just north of the lake.     Stopped me.    Then I tried to run through it and it eased a bit.   Then I had a three minute poop break though I don’t think I had general GI shutdown.           The left thigh pain varied but trended to getting worse.    I mostly ran through it but had to do an awkward gait.       Saw Kori after almost getting back to transition and heard I was 28th.                   Handed in my chip at transition as Al T. was heading out.    

Didn’t want to do serious damage to my thigh, and it seemed clear I wasn’t going to be run the last 13.1. I am guessing I tweaked a small area of hamstring muscle on the bike.     Or had a muscle spasm that lead to micro tears.     Currently I have a bit of pain in the thigh but is improving daily.       Doesn’t seem to be anything serious.

So I come away with many positives and potential for the future.        But of course disappointment too.      I have been at or near the pointy end a few times so coming up short again sucks.       Another good opportunity to process the motivations.   

Have some ideas for adjusting training but the main thing is probably increasing volume.      Probably will talk to coach.    And may look for some specific ideas in the forums.       Will do some bike adjustments (fit and gear) and considering getting back on an aero bike.          In the end, after processing all the input, I have to do things as they work for me.

Thanks to all the teammates.      Appreciated seeing our team racers out there.   And thanks for the support folks that came to Tempe.      Thanks to EN generally.  I been away a lot of the last three years and it was good to circulate again.     And thanks to our monster of a coach.         And thanks for reading this if you made it this far.

I am signed up for St. George in 2020.                        It is tiring now to think about the quick turnaround and then ramping up for this race.            It is a scary course per the stated bike elevation change.           My St. George in 2011, on a different course, was my slowest ironman.        But I have had good races on tough courses (Whistler).         I am tending towards doing the race but will see where the mind is in a couple weeks.             Will be 54 yo in 2020.                In 2021 will age up to 55.      So thinking CDA definitely in 2021 since the full will be back in 2021.                       And Arizona 2020 may have snuck in there.

Maholo nui loa.          Imua !

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@robin sarner Thanks for sharing your personal difficulties over the last few years. I can't even imagine. Life is precious and short, but we must look to and focus on the positive's when we come out the other side of difficulties. Ironman is viewed as a selfish endeavor but we each need to have some kind of purpose and goals that interest us , entertain us, and keep us busy, as we navigate this thing called life. I find as I age that "mortality question" gets closer and closer. As my Dad likes to say "None of us are getting out of here alive" But until then , Do what you like and like what you do , whatever it maybe.

Sounds like the swim and bike were very positive for you. 64' swim on mostly vasa fitness on a probable long course.

Bike sounds solid as well , no fade, 5:21 vs. 5:15 , I totally get the urology issues of an aging man, but stopping to pee definitely ate up some of your time.

Run sounds like mine, ran too hot until injured. I'm glad your injury does not sound as bad as you initially reported. How does it feel now? My toe still hurts and I have not run since IMAZ.

• Options

always great to see u out there. Can't wait to see u bounce back

• Options

@robin sarner Life throws a lot of curves. At a similar age, 53/4, one of my children was also on a downward spiral. Could have gone either way; after 15 years, things finally seem to be on a positive track, so I am ever grateful for that, and appreciate the devastation of the opposite path.

Strength comes from many places, sometimes success, and sometimes, as Dylan sang, there's no success like failure. You are resilient, positive and purposeful. The sport has found you, and has not let you go let. Ride that tiger with all that strength you've earned, and I have no doubt you stay on the upward path.

• Options

@robin sarner I loved meeting you in Mallorca. I would never have guessed you were coming off such an emotional year. The power of sport goes without saying. Take care of that injury and never stop!

I'm a bit bummed I won't see you in St George. I deferred to Boulder 70.3. Since Kona is in October I want to stay strong not always be recovering. You could have a great race at IMSG!! Pointy end maybe ? 🤙

• Options

@Robin Murphy I'm sure other racers enjoyed your draft on the swim and bike. It looks like you were well set up in the run as well considering your pace in the first half. It sucks you couldn't finish but live to race another day. I'm sure you'll crush IMSG 2020!!

• Options
    edited December 16, 2019 5:00PM

@robin sarner we have several things in common, we should talk more.

I remember watching you throw down at IMTX in 2014 then reading about your DNF in 2015 only to watch you pick yourself up the very next year, go to the same place and KQ in 2016!

Life is a bitch and it does bring the best out of us even though it feels like its going to kill us sometimes.

So glad you are on our team brotha. Just consider how many people you will lead and influence at IMSG regardless of your performance.

Keep moving forward as always!

SS

• Options

@robin sarner - Thanks for sharing your journey. It goes to show all the other stresses that are in many people's lives that oftentimes teammates are unaware. I think it takes good mental discipline to focus on training when training and focus on other aspects of life when not training. Seems like you've been very successful at doing that over the years. It was fun tracking you on race day as you moved up the "leader board" and hated to hear about your hamstring injury. Smart decision to pull out and not do severe damage...no easy decision.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2019 11:07PM

@tim cronk thanks a lot for the support over the years. I appreciate the friendship . I have stuff to work through but trajectory seems to be positive.

Yes I will continue doing what seems to bring enjoyment and satisfaction.

thigh is still nagging. not too bad when I did half a cyclocross race yesterday. pure cycling is ok. will try some running this weekend. your toe thing is weird - hopefully will heal soon.

hopefully we'll have some Ironman intersections in the future. at least see you in Tucson during visits.

@DAVID RICHMOND great to be out there with you again. Glad you found joy and Joy. let's plan our next race together to both have good days. Still awaiting that Tahitian food care package.

@Al Truscott Glad you had the positive family outcome. Lisa's other child, her son, had similar issues to his sister. But now he is thriving. Software man in Seattle and has started a family.

greatly appreciate you for all you've given over the years. I started this journey with you as the starting point.

Riding tiger aye.

@Sheila Leard I greatly appreciated meeting you folks in Mallorca. thanks for the thoughts.

I will try to work it again for St. George. and who knows, maybe I will join you in Kona someday.

@Carl Alleyne nice to meet you too in Mallorca. thanks for the support. will try again to slay the dragon (St. George reference).

@Shaughn Simmons thanks for all the support from afar.

looking forward to sharing in the future. see you in the flesh in St. George.

you inspire me to up the game.

and really, thanks for all the positive energy you give to the team. and me.

@Derrek Sanks thanks much. yeah we all have our stuff to deal with. hopefully our sport adds to our lives. Sorry won't be seeing you in Tokyo. though sometime in the next couple years I am thinking of trying for a personal best in a stand alone marathon, before i get too old.

• Options

@robin sarner It sounds like the endurance habit has helped you through some tough times. I am sure you are still processing much more than just the outcome of this race. I hope you find your balance with whatever you decide to do. I have enjoyed meeting you and racing with you and I hope we get to do it some more! We really also need to meet up for a ride in the mountains in 2020. Hope to see you in St George. Thank you for posting this.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin thanks a lot. yes ongoing processing. nice getting to know you folks. getting together for riding would be good. see you soon in St. George.

• Options

@robin sarner thanks for sharing your story. Very inspirational that you keep moving forward and doing your best. Many people would stop. As to your accomplishments, you are a beast and I look forward to sharing the same top of age group with you at St George :). And yes, it won’t be a fast time in an IM but we can hope to have good races! I’m looking forward to meeting you

• Options

Ahhhh @robin sarner we are here FOR the mushy stuff. It was a pleasure to get to ride with you a bit this summer and you know we are 100% #TeamSarner whatever challenges you face. ^ Which were a lot, to be clear. Don't apologize for that!

And thanks for teaching the Hawaiian way for making a tinkle. Think of you ever time I stop for nature potty on a ride now. 'Cause that's not weird. Smooches and biiiiiiiiiggggg hug from someone 1/2 your height. xoox -

• Options
    edited January 2, 2020 10:43PM

@Tim Sullivan thanks. yes, I really don't have a choice but to move forwards. looking forward to St. George. hopefully we'll have a chance to mix it up there. if we have the days we need, still will be close to 10 hours. see you soon.

@Jenn Edwards thanks.

yes was fun the couple rides. I will probably be inside for the spring. but will hopefully get to join you for some summer rides.

talk you into the France trip ?!

many thanks for all the ongoing support.

glad i'm in your thoughts when you are Making Shishi.