Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Mark McCombe 2020 Season

2»

Comments

• Options

To update, the 4/19 half marathon is obviously rescheduled. They moved it to Sept, but I will likely defer the entry to next year instead. Also, yoga has been closed for a while so I've dropped that (I've stretched a little, but nowhere near making it up and doesn't provide the mindfulness and other conditioning benefits).

Training has been a struggle the last couple of weeks. Frequency and volume have been good, but I've quit or had to scale back some workouts. While some of that is probably physical since this section of the OS is very hard, I think the situation with covid19 and social distancing is also taking a toll on me mentally. It is tough to unravel those, but I think the mental aspect is probably a bigger factor. 

Despite the recent difficulties, I think I've probably increased the max bike power you listed from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours by ~15 watts since you posted that. Although I think my run fitness has slipped slightly, I'm still been running 30+ miles a week at decent paces. So, in the big picture, things are still positive fitness wise.

I'm leaning toward pulling the plug on Lake Placid, which I think is very questionable to happen in July anyway. I don't want to train for it not knowing if it will happen and I don't think this is the best environment for me to train for an Ironman even if it does. So, I'm thinking of changing my focus to something more likely to happen in the fall, although I'm not quite sure that would be at the moment. Ironman, 70.3, or marathon are all options.

I've stuck to the plan very diligently to this point and consider the OS a success, but I'm thinking I might exit early and just do my own thing rather than finish the last week and a half (and skip the bike and run tests). While I normally really like exercise, it has felt like an unpleasant chore recently so I'm hoping that a little break from structured training makes it more enjoyable again. Then, reassess the 2020 season based on how I feel and any further covid19 information we have at that point. 

Thoughts on that plan?

• Options

@Mark McCombe - thanks for the update. I 100% hear where you are at. This mental struggle is totally real, and it's not just the training side (over training). It's the cost of all aspects of life, and it's showing up here in the workout compliance.

I say yes to two light weeks; it's gorgeous today so if you want to get out, then do it. But no high target goals.

Current status for you is really solid. Good gains (9/10) and solid fatigue (8/10) so rest is deserved. I think you are positioned well for a volume bump, but that depends on your interest. I could see you doing 4 to 6 weeks of a bike focus, with more run maintenance. Say 4/20 to early June. Maybe we plug you into Zwift for some social riding? That really helps me out.

From there we can decide how to proceed based on the rest of the year. I agree that Placid is 50/50, but at the same time I am 100% I don't want to be there until we know how stable the situation is. Right?

How does that short term plan sounds?

~ Coach P

• Options

Regarding switching races, I was indecisive earlier in the year on what races to do anyway. The other options I considered were either a later season Ironman like Louisville (probably with a 70.3 before it since there would be more options to choose from) or to focus on a couple of 70.3s instead.  I'm thinking that since it was a close call for me and circumstances have (dramatically) changed, those may now be better choices even though there is still a chance IMLP may happen.  Perhaps something like Maine 70.3 on 8/30 and Louisville on 10/11 (or North Carolina on 10/17 if going the 70.3s only route), which I think are all good courses for me.  Hopefully, the covid-19/triathlon situation becomes more clear in the near future, but those all at least seem much more likely than Placid and life might be a little more normal while training for them.  I'm still thinking it over, but leaning toward changing.

That short term plan sounds good. I haven't really given Zwift a fair shot so I think delving it into it makes sense. And although I think my motivation has bounced back to normal, a change would probably still be good for me. What would that look like bike wise? Follow a plan or just try to hit certain volume targets (or something along those lines)? 

Run maintenance also sounds good. I have been dealing with tightness in my left hip and hamstring over the last few weeks. It isn't really a problem running TRP or even MP, but too much running faster than that feels risky. I have had this exact problem from time to time and can usually fix it with stretching (yoga being shut down has hurt here). Additionally, I've lost my work treadmill indefinitely, which I like to do some of my faster running on, so that's another reason it would probably a better time to focus on biking over running right now.

While I said I was going to skip the final bike and run test of the OS, I changed my mind about the bike test. Other than a fast half marathon, my main goal for the OS was to get my FTP to 320. When I set that goal, I based it on my FTP from the TrainerRoad ramp tests I was using last year (mostly between 300 and 310), so I decided to do that for this test for comparison. My result on this one was 324, for a gain of 14 over my best previous result (which I did exactly a year earlier than this test actually).  I'm going to leave my ftp at 318 since I think the 20 minute test is more accurate, but I'm happy to see clear progress over last year and I'm considering that goal accomplished!  

• Options

@Mark McCombe - Working backwards, FTP at 324 is a huge win. Peak watts in early April is great. As we continue on the year, that number will fluctuate (volume / strength) but it bodes well that you've created new room to grow.

As for the race stuff, I agree that anything later in the year seems more likely to happen. I just don't know how we can go from lockdown / businesses closed through May 1 to full on country-wide travel and close quarters like an Ironman in 10 weeks. On one hand I want it to happen, but on the other hand I don't know how we "undo" what is currently in place safely enough for everyone. I understand there's an economic portion of the equation, but not sure that's enough.

All of those late season races work for you for sure. I think if the races are "ON" the delta will be what your motivation will be like in July/August to do long rides while your race is on the table. Those long rides are good for overall development, but motivation can be tricky. Good news is the training won't look too different for April.

Zwift Focus:

• Wednesday Ride is on Zwift in a Race, pick a B category race.
    • Friday Ride, if you do it, COULD be in Zwift (Friday Freight Train is a 9am EDT EN ride that gets tempo at end), but not required.
    • Saturday Pick a long ride in Zwift like a 100k one, and just get in, ride steady and find a group to work with.
    • Sunday is Cruise and Crush at 7:50AM that's a great session.

Run Durability: This is really distance oriented. Last week was a big week so we should adjust. When I say # of runs, does it mean running every single day although that is an option. What it does mean is completing that number of runs. So there could be a day where you do a double run for example.

• Week of 4/13 = 25 miles, 5 runs
    • Week of 4/20 = 35, 6 runs
    • Week of 4/27 = 37.5, 6 runs
    • Week of 5/3 = 40, 7 runs

Finally, flexibility...can you find a home session you can do via video?

• Options

Thanks, I like the bike and run plan. I'll try to make some of the FFT and CnC rides, but it should be pretty easy to substitute something similar for those if I can't. While there is certainly a learning curve, I think I'm figuring out Zwift. I'm planning on doing most of the running at TRP pace. I also started the OS Vasa plan. It starts pretty light so it is a bit of a break from what I was doing, but keeps me using those swim specific muscles enough that I think I shouldn't lose what I gained over the winter. Does all that sound good?

Since what is in Final Surge doesn't exactly correspond to the new plan, I'm going to delete everything for these weeks. I don't need the individual workouts in FS to follow the plan you laid out, particularly since the individual runs have some flexibility to meet the targets. Just wanted to mention that in case you notice me deleting planned wkos that are already in there.

For flexibility, I have a routine based on yoga that works well for me; it is just a matter of actually doing it. I focused on it more last week and my hip is mostly better. I'm going to try to keep that up regularly.

I had been doing strength training once a week, but backed off a little with my hamstring. Until yoga is back, I'm planning to do that twice a week instead. Since I have everything I need for it at home, it seems like a good opportunity to get a little stronger.

I'm going to do this four week block as discussed and then revisit the season race plan with whatever additional information we have then.

• Options

@Mark McCombe all of that sounds really good. Looking through your data it's clear that you turned a corner this past weekend and put in a little more volume than you have been the last few weeks. Curious to hear how the back to back to back days on Zwift played out for you (yes, I saw you on the FFT ride!).

I am honestly OK with you taking a little bit of a step back on the volume as related to the vasa. Remember we're looking for consistency not necessarily sustained bills. Given that our season is a bit up in the air it makes sense to stay fit without pushing everything as we would in a typical race build.

~ Coach P

• Options

Yes, I started feeling better a little before that, but did more more volume over the weekend, mostly just because that was the plan. Before that, I now thing I might have been fighting something rather than just very fatigued, but can't know for sure. In any case, I'm back to 100% now. I did feel sluggish for the CnC on the third day of riding, but the 100k group ride at 3 w/kg on Sat was challenging so I may have still be tired from that. I'm also not a morning person so that is the earliest I've exercised in a long time, which also may have been a factor. I felt completely recovered by Monday though.

I think we are on the same page with just maintaining consistency this point and how up in the air the season is. I like exercising and it is keeping me almost sane, so consistency is unlikely to be a problem. I'm going to finish this four week block with the OS Vasa and zwift and running volume as is, but might reconsider my direction at that point. One thing I've thought about is focusing on just running for a fall race or two. Small, local running races seem most likely to happen and don't involve travel. While I'd still do some cross training, I think the simplicity of running would be a nice break for a while and I'd be motivated to try to hit a PR or two, particularly in the marathon.

In the long term though, triathlon is still the priority for me, so I'm interested in how you think that focus on running would impact Ironman/70.3 performance next season. Good, bad, indifferent?

• Options

@Mark McCombe - I agree that those early workouts can be a killer. Especially when you are used to them. Not to mention the sneaky fatigue associated with a long steady right in Zwift. I find that real world rides outside have more of an ebb and flow, allowing for more recovery. Not so much in the game.

The short term focus work is fine. I see two operative things happening. One is establishing a baseline level of work that you mentioned. This just keeps you Baseline fit over time and is an additive thing without too much of a cost.

The other is seeking performance gains in a particular discipline. Given how strong you have become on the bike this winter, I still believe you have more gains to make In the short term intervals: 5' and less. This type of work is much easier to do outside on a hill, so it could be something that we work into the summer depending on the run timeline.

I make it contingent on the running because you prioritize that as a higher level of interest for you. I'm all about improving the run, we just have to be cautious in that high effort running also has risk associated with it.

A typical Marathon plan for us is about 16 weeks long in terms of peak performance. So if you fire that up in mid June, or somewhere in June, you'll be looking out in October performance. Even if the Marathon doesn't happen, you can technically roll your own as some of your teammates have already done.

Aside from the marathon are there any other intermediary goal you have re running?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick - Regarding the shorter intervals on the bike, since I was riding in erg mode virtually all the time previously, most of my shorter maxes were just the percent of ftp I had workouts set at rather than my actual peak effort. Over the last couple of weeks on Zwift, I've tried to fill in my power curve with some shorter max efforts, particularly <1 minute since those were ridiculously low. So, I bumped my 5, 30, and 60 second power to 800+, 600+, and 500+, at least. Between those and a 5 minute power of 394 from the end of my recent ramp test, I think power curve data is more accurate than when you pulled it in mid March. I think your point still stands, particularly for the very short durations, which seem very poor relative to even my 5 minute power. I'd be up for working on that, although I'm not sure when it makes the most sense.

Having had more time to think about it, I'm still leaning strongly toward primarily focusing on running for 2020. I think some small, local races (including a fast, flat marathon 20 minutes from my house) are likely to go and, if not, I have excellent options for staging my own running events (the marathon is 6 loops on closed roads around a reservoir so is absolutely perfect for running a marathon alone on an official course). For intermediary running goals, probably just run the fastest 5k, 10k, and maybe half marathon (if that makes sense as part of marathon prep) I can. Maybe something like ~19 and <40 for goals for 5k and 10k. There is a weekly 5k series that is on a subset of the marathon loop I mentioned so I also have a good "official" option for 5k/10k on my own even if those races don't happen this year.

I just wrapped up the 4 week running/zwift/vasa plan. I think that went well overall. I hit the run frequency and mileage targets exactly. Zwift less quantifiable, but went well. Still learning to race, but moved from almost last initially to mid pack in B. Set several life power bests, notable 310 for 49:59 on Alp Du Zwift after I was motivated by your vEverest to try it in full resistance mode. Did all of the OS Vasa sessions. Strength/flexibility not perfect, but decent. 

We haven't talked for a while and this seemed like a good time to discuss next steps, so I put a meeting on your calendar for Tuesday afternoon.  

• Options

@Mark McCombe - Ok, time to follow up on our call from yesterday.

First, I just wanted to say that overall we are definitely on the same page with regards to your year. As I mentioned on the call, I agree with your overall perspective regarding the value we can create the season. And, the value there is in maintaining control of your year with a more realistic event (a.k.a. running).

Here is the outline of what we came up with:

• Run focus, what are discrete blocks.
    • Bike inside this summer / zwift. 
    • Instead of vasa; strength maintenance (Swimming is cool, but).

The target event we are looking is on 10/4 - likely a 6-loop course (could do on your own if required).

Here are the plans I recommend:

• On 5/11/2020 Load the  ADV 5k Plan, 12 wks to end on 8/2/2020  56 [ 8 weeks ]
    • On 7/6/2020  Load the  Marathon, 16 Weeks to end on 10/4/2020 91 [ 13 weeks ]
    • On 10/5/2020 Load the Post Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 10/18/2020 14 [ 2 weeks ]

Specially you will follow the 5K plan with some higher quality bike sessions in there just to maintain things. Then we will transition to a full marathon plan. Straight up, we are running to perform. I'm not gonna put the specific bike workouts in there but you and I can work on that as we go through the course of the year. The goal here is to see what your potential is.

Course selection ideas for Zwift:

• London Classique
    • Seaside Sprint
    • Crit Course
    • Fuego Flats
    • Any London Flat Course

I will be happy to walk you through any course in game to help you gain a better understanding of how you can reset. Do you have the strength, you just need to be a little more sneaky about it. Roadies don't use blunt instruments, they are surgical just like the cut of their kit and the height of their socks.

The sidenote, I am creating a course that will run over the course of five weeks starting in June. It will be to educate people on how to use Zwift to increase their bike power including some unique analysis stuff. I can let you in for free, so stay tuned for that!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited May 18, 2020 5:29PM

I'm rethinking my plan so deleting the message I wrote up this morning. Just in case you already read it, thought it was better to edit rather than delete. I'll post something more detailed in the next few days.

• Options

On a couple of runs last week, I briefly felt a weird twinge in my knee. Nothing major, but it felt like bad pain as opposed to normal running stuff. I cut back back on the running slightly, but when I ran this Monday, it developed into a persistent discomfort. I decided to take a week off of running (I just biked more instead), figuring it was best to err on the side of caution now than deal with a nagging injury for a while. When walking, it feels better now, but I'm going to stick to the plan and wait until next week to test it out running. A possible cause of this is that I had changed from Cliftons to Saucony Triumphs a few weeks ago. Although I like them, the Triumphs are a much firmer ride and have been destroying my feet (callus wise, not bone, but that may have altered how I was running a bit). I got some new Cliftons today which I will use for a while, maybe working the Triumphs in occasionally later.

I know I'm being a huge pain in the ass here, but I'm already leaning toward dropping the marathon plan. The knee pain is a factor since training for a marathon is tough enough on the body even starting out 100% healthy, but not the only one reason. I hadn't really thought this through, but I normally do much of my running at work, either on a treadmill I like or outside with friends and I won't have access to that all summer. Plus I'm not sure about going to the track in current environment. Doing all my running outside in the summer heat evading people in masks in my neighborhood sounds sounds less appealing to me than it did originally. It is probably better to stick with the balance of triathlon training for now.

Honestly, my mind still isn't quite made up, but I wanted to explain why I'm not following the plan at all. I'm thinking I just maintain things for a few weeks and see how I feel and what the options (if any) look like for later in the year. I'd like to know if Lake Placid gets moved to Sept before making a final decision. I think I'm probably doing enough now that I theoretically could bump up the volume in mid June (giving me 12 weeks for the half or full plan) for that or at least a fall 70.3. And if no races happen, I'm fine just training for general fitness with an eye toward next year.

In the interim, I'm thinking of sticking with the two five minute hack rides plus a 100k and maybe one more random optional ride plus two short Vasas and 30ish miles a week as long as my knee is ok. Around 10 hours a week plus a little strength training. Sound reasonable?

Also, the Zwift power course sounds good so I could switch from the 5MH to that when it starts.

• Options

Just to update, I ran yesterday and my knee felt fine. I'm planning to run a little less this week and still not so any super hard sprinting on the bike just to be safe, but I think it it is probably ok. I probably erred on the side of caution, but I figure a week off now is better than months later on.

Regarding my plans for this year, as intriguing as I find the idea of a cool Sept Ironman in Lake Placid, that probably isn't the best idea for me since I would be back in the same spot I just was. I don't want to train for a full Ironman without some certainty about the race actually happening. So I think it is best to defer Placid to next year.  

A 70.3 is closer to what I would normally do though, so seems like a better fit. I noticed Patriot was moved to 9/5 and has reopened registration. I'm thinking about signing up for that. It would give me motivation to train for and if doesn't happen, I could switch to the race next year which would be good prep for Placid (we talked about that this year, but it was already sold out). And if it doesn't happen (or just goes badly), but other races still are still on, there are plenty of 70.3 later in Sept or early Oct to fall back on.

• Options

@Mark McCombe - hey man, I hope you don't mind that I waited a little while before answering. I saw you mention about your knee and was fairly certain that you caught it early enough. I too have recently purchased some racing tape sneakers and do not like them at all compared to my cliftons.

On the whole, I think it's important to keep in mind that you've done a fair amount of training since late last year. The rugby how do you doing was pretty legit, hence the results that you saw. Well this works in the flow of a normal season, this year has been anything but. I'm not surprised to hear that I focus on running has you just a little bit unhappy.

A full Iron Man race sounds awesome if it's somewhere warm. Lake Placid is anything but warm in the winter. If I recall correctly, the first year they have the 70.3 the air temperature was barely above freezing until about 10 AM. No thank you.

Deferring the race until 2021 is the right call. As you noted, we can build off of the fitness you have now to have you completely prepared for a half Iron Man come September.

The real question is what level of fitness are you looking to build? Are we just looking to maintain your fitness and then sharpen for the half? Or are you looking to make any particular gains either for this year or as an investment in the future?

With that information I can be a little more detail in terms of how we proceed. The basic balance plan you outlined above works fine for me. And rules during the week and one steady state 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride on the weekends is more than adequate. But Rian can either have been indoors and Swift are outside in the weather allow for it. That ride isn't meant to be hard per se, we should be doing most of the work on the bike in the interval sets.

Let me know what you think about that goal question above and I can get to work on your plan.

• Options

I'm fine with when you replied; I only updated/replied a few times in between because I didn't want you to reply to something that was no longer valid (regarding my knee or thoughts on potential races).

Reading the ironman return to racing stuff and listening to a facebook talk by the Patriot race director, I'm realizing that racing with the precautions they will most likely take doesn't sound all that appealing to me. So, I'm considering not planning any races for this year. If I do that, I still plan to keep training, but would probably prefer to scale things back slightly (from where I was to about the volume I'm doing right now actually) just to have more time and energy to focus on other things. In a sense, I think that would be good for me, since think I make bigger fitness gains at lower volume anyway and it would give me a bit of a break mentally before ramping back up for next year.

I don't want to keep changing my mind, so how about I keep doing what I am right now for a couple of weeks while I think this over? Additionally, I'm still not quite certain my knee is 100%, so that will give me a little more time to figure that out for sure.

• Options

Your delayed plan sounds best. And honestly, I think your approach with regards to what Races will actually be like is smart. After doing our challenge last weekend, it was clear to me that how we do things is just as important as what we are doing. A modified race environment sounds more like a TSA check in before my flight then an actual event I will enjoy. I already have enough stress in my life. I don't need to meet up with 1000 Other people who are suddenly angry about some new rule they just found out about. And are trying to communicate with a mask on.

To sound selfish, but I would really prefer that a bunch of other people figure that out before I have to dive in. 🤣

Keep me posted on that knee and Maybe think of getting outside one of these weekends? The long ride stuff you are doing is great, don't get me wrong. But getting outside would be nice too!

~ Coach P

• Options

Although I had been going back and forth, I think I'm fully onboard with the delayed plan now. I had the exact same thought as you regarding not wanting to be a guinea pig for social distancing triathlon.

I actually took the week before last almost completely off, running only once. I had taken the week off work and planned to accomplish a bunch of neglected projects so I wanted to devote my energy to that. Also, I thought it might be a good time for an extended rest with my knee sporadically bothering me. For the last week and a half, I've been back to a slightly reduced, but consistent, schedule. My fitness seems pretty good, all things considered, and my knee has felt fine for a while now.

Without any races in the near future, I think I like the idea of taking a few easier periods like this so I can focus my energy on some other priorities. I have many neglected home projects left, have been learning some new work related stuff, and might do some limited travel if things open up. But, I'm also up for interspersing periods of higher volume or intensity as well.

I see the Zwift course you mentioned earlier is starting in a couple of weeks. If the offer below still stands, I'm up for that. In addition to the primary benefits of it, it would probably be particularly good for me to keep or enhance my engagement with EN.

You wrote, "The sidenote, I am creating a course that will run over the course of five weeks starting in June. It will be to educate people on how to use Zwift to increase their bike power including some unique analysis stuff. I can let you in for free, so stay tuned for that!"

• Options

You are doing all the right things my friend...I need to do more like you! Rest would help my knee...I am so stubborn. I like the idea of rolling with the ebb and flow of how you feel...when things work, you push, when they don't, we fill in with other stuff.

I like the idea of the house projects; I'd like it even more if you don't tell my wife what you are doing!!! 🤣

This approach will allow you to stay fit, and on track, without overdoing it. I would be good to find places where you can "add" some strategic volume...particularly on the bike. The random long ride per month is a win...just get on the road bike and point it somewhere and go there, eat lunch and ride home. I posted a video the other day on how to use Strava do chart some new paths and get your exploration on: https://help.endurancenation.us/planning-an-epic-ride-on-strava-ride-with-gps-and-google-maps/

As for the Bike Camp...it's on...I am doing some organizational things now, so there's still time to get in on that...I'll add you as a participant to the list and you can opt in or out! Check that inbox.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick The link I was using to schedule calls with you (https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min) doesn't seem to be valid anymore. I tried the one under the Coach Consults page, but that didn't work either. Do you have a new one?

• Options

@Mark McCombe I do..so sorry...somehow the links got out and I had a week with 30 calls. Reminded me why I never want to be famous! 🤣 Use this one: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min and we can go longer as needed.

I'd like to hear:

• Your impression of racing...you are pushing solid numbers there!
    • How your running is holding up.
    • What your goals are for the bike in 2021...how much work do you want to do this winter?
    • Anything else you want to cover.

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks, I scheduled a meeting for 1:30 Wednesday - talk to you then.

• Options

@Mark McCombe - Great to talk with you last week. I think the general plan you have laid out is really solid. I think we are on the same page with your general progression; the "focus" is on run frequency as that is the current foundational block that matters for next year. When the OS starts, we'll begin that structured progression that really matters.

You mentioned the WKO5 upgrade, which is awesome. If you haven't already, request to join the group on facebook as there is good info and support there. I'm locked out of my WKO until it gets updated on the Mac 😭but here are two top charts I like:

• Power Duration Curve (great for comparisons, like 2021 to 2020 as you do the OS)
    • Optimized Intervals (a table) that gives you the most up to date zones for you for each session.
    • There's a great library you can find/download more from within the app.

Onwards!

~ Coach P

ps thanks for the zwift upgrade inspiration. I didn't go all in, but I did get a rocker plate. Pumped!

• Options

That's awesome about the rocker plate, @Coach Patrick ! My e-flex finally shipped so I'm getting pumped too! Thanks for the WKO tips and group recommendation. I will take a look at the charts you mentioned. I haven't had a chance to dig into the Facebook group yet, but I joined and at a glance the material looks great. It recommended a free training resource that looks like a good way to start so I'm going to do that.

I've been mulling over transferring from Lake Placid to Maryland (which is pretty much the only other open, reasonably close full option for me), largely for covid related reasons, although I've started to like the idea more and more. I had thought I might wait to do this, but with most races already selling out, I might not sure how long I will have that option even for Maryland.

While everything is unpredictable, with positive vaccine news, it seems moving my A race back (and to the end of summer when cases would probably be lowest) probably makes it somewhat more likely to actually happen, perhaps in a more normal format. Also, it would give me many half ironman (or shorter if necessary) options earlier in the year that wouldn't impact training for the full so unless everything is cancelled, I could probably get a race or two in somewhere.  

One big upside of Placid is that it is an EN key race and I have some non EN friends doing it, but assuming it happens, I could always head up for long weekend and combine a big training weekend with watching the race. Course wise, the flat bike and run at Maryland are very appealing and could give me a chance at a fast time. The only real downside to Maryland for me is some hesitancy about the swim, more that it might not be wetsuit legal than potential jellyfish or chop concerns, although mostly a combination of the three. But it would be nice to not have to pick all races by swims I'm comfortable with and fear might motivate me to actually swim more. Even aside from covid reasons, I prefer the mid Sept timeframe to late July so I see quite a bit of positives in transferring.

Maryland is 9/18 so 37 weeks from the start of JOS. From what we talked about last week, that seems ideal schedule wise in that it would allow me to do the full OS and give me ample time to prepare for both a a half (and recover from that) and a full. For example (so you don't have to look at a calendar), if I did Eagleman (sold out but seems to still have foundation spots) on 6/13 and IMMD on 9/18, I think that would give me a rough schedule something like: 

14 week JOS

1 week recovery (possibly with half marathon at end because I have a deferred entry from last year schedule at the end of this week)

8 weeks of half ironman plan

Eagleman (or one of a bunch of other options plus or minus a couple of weeks)

2 week recovery

12 week ironman plan

IMMD

Thoughts on that as a general plan? I'm not 100% decided yet, but I was thinking of trying to convince a friend who is signed up for Eagleman and IMLP into switching to IMMD if I do Eagleman with him. I wanted to get your input before I attempt to talk him into that.