Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Help me find a "FAST" marathon?!

After 6 years of my main focus being full-distance IM, I am shifting gears this year and planning two 70.3's, and handful of short course races, and hoping to cap off the season by making a run at a Boston Qualifying Marathon attempt. I ran my 2nd stand alone marathon this past November in Philly and took 26 minutes off my prior time and it's got me in striking distance of a BQ. My training was moderate this last time around, but I feel that with some more serious training, coupled with a good race choice and tightening up some other areas (maybe grab some Vaporfly's), I could do this. I ran a 3:31 and the BQ time needed in my new AG (50-54) would be a 3:25, so I figure I should target 3:22 to play it safe.

That being said, please share your FASTEST marathon races with me. I'm thinking an ideal race would be in late Sep to late Nov, net downhill or flatish, medium sized in terms of participants, closed or semi-closed road conditions, and well supported. Also, I live in CT, so ideal location would be the North East, but I'd be willing to travel for the right race! Tell me what you've done and help me do this! Thanks!!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I think if you do this right, you can take 2 bites at the apple.

For the first one, Pick one of these

Steamtown Marathon in NE Pennsylvania - another fast downhill course, October 10

Mohawk Marathon (Albany NY) - also another downhill course, attractive as you can drive here easily from your Mass house, but I think Steamtown may be better choice.

there are also three? marathons run on a downgrade rail trail outside of seattle. @Tim Sullivan BQd there and wrote a RR which I can't find!

the 2nd bite would be the CIM (California International Marathon) in Sacremento. It's early December and on a virtually flat and very slightly down grade course.

• Options

I have done Steamtown and that is definitely downhill and meets your criteria. Point to point with start at a High school to stay warm before the start.

Atlantic City Marathon in late October is pancake flat except for an overpass and the ramps on and off the boardwalk. Let me Know I live a block from parts of the course.

• Options

Great suggestions above. Here's a great website that will help you pick the right marathon. www.findmymarathon.com.

• Options

@scott dinhofer - I looked into Mohawk awhile ago. It is a point to point race and billed as fast. I read some background and reviews, and the thing that got me was the train that may or may not be crossing tracks that pass over the course. I could only imagine having a great race and then coming to a train crossing where I’d need to come to a full stop while waiting for it to cross. That kinda killed it for me. But, Steamtown will be worth looking at and I know there’s some contenders out west that I will look at if I can’t find one that works here. Not sure if I want to take 2 bits at this within 60 days, unless something went horribly wrong the 1st time around.

@Robert Sabo - will look at Atlantic City too. Thank you!

@Derrek Sanks - Yes, I’ve checked out that website. It’s actually been the one that I’ve used to search and is a good resource. I love that you can pull info like BQ % rates, etc. I figured I’d ask here based on other’s experiences. I have a feeling a may be right on the bubble and these times have gotten faster and faster. A few years ago, I’d thought that once I aged up as I am this year, I’d be looking at 3:28-3:30 BQ time, but they changed all that and made it a bit tougher, so any advantage I can get would help. I guess if I can get it done, it’ll be that much sweeter!

• Options

There is a point to point marathon in Cape May County, NJ which goes over a series of bridges between islands and one year the runner in first ducked under the lower barricade and just made it across before the bridge opened for a boat. The second placed runner had to wait about 5 minutes and could never catch up. I think they have found a solution for this. That would suck.

• Options

@Brad Marcus I understand. Also, check out Via Marathon and Erie Marathon. I haven't run these but heard from friends they are great BQers.

• Options

@Brad Marcus With the current method of qualification (tiered, staggered entries with the fastest getting in first, and sometimes those who "qualify" not making it in) it is indeed essential for those on the bubble to make a good, informed choice of initial race. In addition to weather (presumably, you want cooler, not warmer), terrain (flat or down), and support (buses if point-to-point, aid at least every 2 miles), another factor to consider is number of entrants. Too few or too many can both be issues. Too few, and you miss the advantage of having others around you all the time which fires the competitive juices. Too many, and you can be slowed down, in the early miles by crowd size, and the later miles by slowing runners/walkers you have to weave around. IMO, 2000-5000 is the sweet spot.

My first qualifier (it got me into two Bostons back-to-back because of the timing) was the California International (first weekend in Dec), which follows the meandering Sacramento River "down" into downtown, finishing @ the Capitol. So there is plenty of lodging of all prices within walking distance of the finish. It's a well-established race, with a good expo. Starts early in the AM, about 0700 IIRC. Year I did it, starting temp was in the upper 30s, finishing in low 50s by 10:30. If you want a vacation in July, try the Missoula Marathon (my second qualifier), similar to CIM in terrain, size, and weather. Then you can visit the Big Sky state after - Yellowstone, Glacier, etc.

• Options

Yakima River Canyon Marathon. downhill net.

• Options

@Brad Marcus The only "stand alone" marathon I've done is CIM. The weather here is pretty mild in December. It boasts being a downhill marathon and one of the fastest BQ's. The 1st miles is a slight downhill, then you get in to small rollers/flats until about mile 20, then it's flat to the end. A lot of race support, spectators etc. They have lots of lodging at the finish and a bus to the start. Of course it would involve some cross country travel on your part. Good luck in your decision making!!

• Options

@Brad Marcus I qualified for Boston at the Outer Banks Marathon in 2010. I was in the 50-54 age group at the time. It's point to point north to south. The prevailing winds are from the North in November and the weather is pleasantly cool. Only hill is Bridge at mile 24. It also meets the requirements you listed in terms of size and support. I'll take a tailwind over downhill every time. Downhills kill my quads. Have never done well at Boston as a result.

• Options

California International Marathon (CIM) is billed as the fasted marathon in the west. Lots of Boston Qualifiers every year. Early December, so temps can be a little cool.

https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/