Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Injury update

@ Coach Patrick, a brief update on my recovery from, my cardiac issues and orthopedic issues with right plateau fracture, and small meniscus tear.

Just completed cardiac stress test with echocardiogram. I did well and completed the maximum time and speed and elevation for a person my age. At least 18 minutes on the treadmill, without any ECG changes, and "no damage to my myocardium. " result from my MI on Sept 5. Everything else was normal, so the goal is to keep my stents open with aspirin, Effient,"blood thinner, and Statins, Lipitor. Exercise encouraged, and "Mediterranean "diet

My meniscus is healed, as is my plateau fracture. I can run and am pain free, so working on fitness in out season is the key. I plan to start my out season Monday next, to work on ride and run fitness.

I am not certain when to have my 1st race. Effient which is a blood thinner puts me at risk for bleeding or bad hematoma. At this point thank God for Zwift. I may just have my Plan B Race in September for IM 70.3. I'll be off my blood thinners. So will Decide about Victoria and Penticton Canada, some time in March.

Training over the next 90-120 days of out season will tell. I will be in touch as often as you think necessary, or every 90 days.

Thanks for all you support and guidance. Eugene

Comments

• Options

Eugene, kudos to you for getting back to your personal fit level (and making sure that is waaaaaay above the norm for your AG). 👍Right now we need to be process focused. The best possible process is what will yield the results we want for your health...and 2020 is still young!

Do you want to pick some zwift based goals to keep you going? Options could include:

• Earning certain route badges
    • Earning the century badge
    • Challenge yourself on the Alpe du Zwift?

Thoughts?

~ Coach P

• Options

@EugenePartridge - thanks for the update! While your injury challenges are significant, it's always good to get some specificity so we can chart a path forward. I agree that a balance training approach is really important, which includes thing and swimming. Moving forward, this type of approach is going to be critical to your continued health.

It's really difficult for me to recommend specific exercises for you with regards to your meniscus. While there are some standard things you can do, the severity of the tear and the symptoms you were having or something that need to be individually addressed. If you have a good physical therapist to go to, they can give you more specific and personal guidance, as well as support you with physical manipulation once a week at a minimum.

Before you travel, I recommend getting into see physical therapist for some baseline exercises. In the meantime, I will tag @Al Truscott As he has a good knee protocol that has worked for some!

~ Coach P

ps here is your monthly update for our records:

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Cycle & swim, walk until June 30 due to right knee pai

Extra help request: First off, thanks for asking. I had a heart issue Sept 5 2019, recurved 3 stents & that has gone well. I am lucky that I recovered so fast. Going back to knee pain, related to meniscus tear & plateau fracture. Diagnosed in January 2020. Was better for awhile but when I increased my miles 10-12k significant pain came back. So I stopped running 7 days ago, I continue to cycle, &OWS, still very cold once per week, I am going to Yellowstone with, my family, resuming a 12 week plan June30. For I M 70.3 Wa. My ? Is, can you point me good sorts Med article on how to overcome a meniscus tear with PT or exercise. I have no plans to quit or leave EN. Thanks again