Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Mark Maurer

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman Canada (2020-08-30) #IMCanada_20

*Additional Races:*

• Pacific Crest Beastman (HIM) 6-28-2020

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on January 15, 2020

• On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020
  • On 4/13/2020  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  04/26/2020
  • On 4/27/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  6/28/2020

**Transition Early**

• On 6/8/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  08/30/2020
  • On 8/31/2020  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  09/27/2020

Your Notes

Raced, if you could call it racing ;-), Alohaman in December. Big bike with 9,300' of climbing. Run had over 1,500' of climbing. Walked the last 2/3 of the run. Goal was to finish which I did. 18th out of 32 who started.

I also did the Pacific Crest Beastman HIM in June. Didn't have much training going into that race due to bathroom remodel. I did all of the remodel and it was my top priority from March until I finished in April (while working full time).

In September I did the Best in the West HIM which is the NW regional championships. I won my age group.

No injuries this year, but I was recovering from an injury in the fall of 2018 that kept me from running for a couple of months. I did PT from October to the first of the year. I'm still working on regaining my run fitness and durability.

I ride my bike to work 7.25 miles on way, most days of the week. I plan on retiring in May but I expect to be very busy at work getting things wrapped up and training my staff to pick up the things I do.

Susan and I got gravel bikes last fall and we expect to be spending a lot of time on them instead of on the road. We'll switch over to tribikes as the races get closer. No gravel bike races on the calendar this year, but we will probably throw some in (more for long training rides than racing). I may also do some MTB races this winter as there is a local short course MTB series. Those races are fun and break up the indoor trainer syndrome.

Speaking of which, races this year include the Pacific Crest Beastman (HIM) in late June and Ironman Canada in late August. Susan is doing IMC as well and we're planning on going to Penticton in July to do a training camp perhaps with other PNW Sleeper Cell peeps.

I'm doing Al Camp in early June then joining my daughter and her boyfriend to ride the Elephant Rock ride in Castle Rock. Have to join the kids when they ask you to do an event with them.

As I said, I did Alohaman in early December and I've been on the transition plan since then. A few runs each week along with biking to work and some trainer sessions (mostly HIIT on the trainer). Some strength work using TRX straps. Cooking, eating, sleeping and visiting during the holiday have put training in the background for the last couple of weeks.

I'm starting the January NOS on Monday 1/6. I don't foresee any problems with completing most of the workouts for the first couple of weeks, but given that I'm 63 now, I assume that I'll have to modify the plan to avoid overtraining and accomadate some planned travel.

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

•  What will make you consider this season a success?

•  What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

•  Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

•  Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

•  End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

•  End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

•  Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

•  General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

•  Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

•  Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

•  Specific Questions about a Race, etc? - You can post those to the Race Forum, for example. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P