Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Run Thread Week 3

The forums are lighting up and the JOS Groupme is seeing a lot of comments as well. The weather is so crazy where I live in VA (warm/cold) but judging by the forums I know a lot of teammates are training indoors. The pain cave makes training so efficient so I thought I would share my set up. Hoping others will do the same here too.

Week 3 remains pretty consistent in terms of training for the run. Test week in coming in week 5 so stay consistent!

Week 3:

• We will have 4-6 runs this week dependent on which level you choose. You can do more if you like or are doing a run streak, but keep them easy.
  • Bike Focus – On the track again with repeats 9x400, with differing levels of rest (from 1.5mins for level 3 to 3min for level 1). Keep listening to your body during these hard sessions.
  • Run Focus – Hills are your strength training again as you will be doing 2x 6-10 minutes depending on level. If your running outside go for cumulative hill time as listed in the main set. After the hills all 3 levels have 25min at TRP.
  • Long runs – everyone will do 60-70 minutes for a long run on the weekend

Have a great week team!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Ballin Pain Cave

• Options

Got in three runs last week during a crazy work week. Not what I wanted but got in some quality running and stayed healthy. Got in an accidental run test and improved my current 5K time from 11:42/mile to 10:49/mile. And that was the day after I ran 5 miles and did my interval runs. Made the adjustments in the plans and looking forward to the week. Well maybe not the 9 x 400 because that is a tough workout. Although, it is obviously working. Planning 4 runs this week but may try to do 5 if all goes well.

• Options

Two runs in already this week. 30' Monday with strides and 32' today, Friday's TRP run.

Plan is to get to the treadmill for tomorrow workout, but I am tired so the extra 1.5 hours of sleep would be nice. It a slog to do the speed work on my way in to work with pants and a backpack. Plus not as effective.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2020 3:09PM

@Daniel Ballin very nice TM!

@Bill Eckert - strong work and improvement on the run test!

@Gordon Cherwoniak - great job hitting the two runs this week!

6X800M on the TM @ 1% grade for me this morning......not fun.

• Options

I finished the 9x400m this morning. Earlier than I would've liked due to a 7 am meeting, but I got them done. The 15 min warm-up didn't feel smooth, but once I got into the intervals I was rockin' and rollin'. I did 90 sec rest between and that was enough to drop my HR by 20 bpm so I could start the next.

@Daniel Ballin asked for pain cave pics. See mine below. I'm using my road bike for much of the OS as I don't want to look at my TT bike for a few more months. I've got a weight-set behind me in this picture

• Options

Got in 5 runs last week, but my weekend run was a pretty slow Zn1 run, this week I plan to move it inside to help push the pace.

Tues. run done as a brick.

On today's run, really had a hard time getting going, and had one of those runs where it never felt good. Did the L2; 2X8' TRP at 2% plus 12' of TRP.

• Options

Great work @Bill Eckert and @Gordon Cherwoniak !! I know @Gordon Cherwoniak will be proud of me doing my hill repeats this morning in 24F :) It felt great and reminded me of my Canadian heritage - doing Canada proud ! Keep up the great work team. 16mins of hills dusted for today with 8 x 2min climb with the climb going from 0-6% on bottom then jumping to 10-15% grade at the top quarter.

Always great work pushing the TM runs @Shaughn Simmons and @Jeff Phillips - I just had to get out today. Love the pain cave pics @Jeff Phillips ! Hopefully others will follow.

Hey @Mark Lane with those 2 Williamsburg races on the calendar are you local? I live in Williamsburg, VA so just curious. I will likely do one or both those races as well.

• Options

@Daniel Ballin I live in Colonial Heights, ride the trail all the time(in the summer).

• Options

@Jeff Phillips - damn nice pain cave set up and great interval work this morning!

@Mark Lane @Daniel Ballin - way to get it done!

• Options

What??? @Mark Lane I do many trips to Richmond and back on the trail. Happy to hook up this spring when weather gets warmer

• Options

@Daniel Ballin Nice getting out there in the cold weather. The arctic front finally broke here in Saskatchewan and we've got some temps close to freezing after being in the -15 to -40f for a week or so. Someone at work said we were the coldest place on the planet for a couple days, never checked as it seemed like hype but it was cold even by my standards. I'd be happy to run in 24f all winter.

I too got out this morning as I opted for sleep over a higher quality speed session. 3X400 in on the way to work and I'm looking to get 4-6 one the way home. Not optimal splitting the run but just happy getting in consistent running at this point in the OS.

• Options

Restarting my running with the run/walk protocol - overdid it during the holidays and developed some hip pain that my PT said was just overuse (and age). I attempted a few strides during the running portion - felt pretty good, but don't want to rush it.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2020 12:27AM

@Brian Gaffin The run/walk return to running program worked great for me EXACTLY AS WRITTEN in 2018. It’s surprising how fit highly structured, weight bearing exercise can increase endurance. I have not had to go to run jail since... Except for last week :-(

Where it happens @Jeff Phillips

I used to be a cold weather runner. I appreciate your true running Identity @Gordon Cherwoniak , @Bill Bejin , and @Daniel Ballin

@Mark Lane Sometimes I forget that steady hard OS training results in some less than fantastic days... patience.

@Shaughn Simmons Thanks for hanging with us, my friend

• Options

@John Culberson I do like to run outside but can't take all the credit I just don't want to pay for parking downtown so run in to save some cash each month. Added bonus I get up to 10 extra miles each week on the run total and more if I extend the run after work.

• Options

Last night before spin calss I hopped onto the TM to do a couple miles. HR was 160! I wasn't even going fast. It was legit. Stopped and saved it for spin class. HR was high during spin class too. Didn't have a lot of hope for today's 9x400". Started slowly and let HR dictate pace. Did the first 5 at 11:15. HR was 140. A little high but ok. The next 5 negatived the pace and ended with 09:50. HR topped out at 159. Felt good. Went and did core and stretching.

Onto tomorrows 2 hour Zwift ride. YIPPEE.

• Options

Didn't get my brick run done yesterday, so did a 30' TRP run this morning. Felt good.

@Daniel Ballin Would love to catch up with you for some trail rides when the weather breaks.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2020 3:26AM

Got the 9X400 done today. I did the first 8 on the high school track, but it was raining a cold Pacific NW rain and I started getting chilled so I headed home thinking that doing 3 more than last time was good enough. I looked down at my watch at some point and saw the 9th interval was about to start and though, why not. It was a lot slower than on the track because I was running on the sidewalk and had to watch for cars and obstacles but the RPE felt similar. It feels good to be doing some speed work again.

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak @Jacklyn Moore @Mark Maurer@Mark Lane @Daniel Ballin all looking good and consistent!!

I loaded up the IMSG loop this morning for a longish OS run with ~800 feet of gain in the first 10.3 miles....that hurt.

• Options

For those who are Zwift Running - what technology are you using to hook up to zwift, i.e, what are you wearing on your shoes and do you like them?

• Options

While @Shaughn Simmons was typing those kind words about us I was starting my Sunday run. Legs were heavy, as in leaden. That's not too surprising since I did the Thursday bike, then moved the 9X400 run to Friday and then did the bike yesterday. These legs don't recover like they used to.

So I dialed back the run to Z1, though I was in Z2-Z3 by heart rate when doing some hills, and shortened it as well. I'll do core and upper body work tomorrow and give the legs a rest.

• Options

I use Stryd @Andrew Lustigman but have used the Garmin footpod in the past. I like the Stryd because it is Bluetooth enabled so I just open Zwift on my iPhone and I can run on a treadmill everywhere. Can’t remember if Garmin footpod was Bluetooth or ANT but believe ANT so making use with an iPhone requiring an adaptor. Overall still more economical choice but I would go with Stryd for power collection

• Options

I love my Stryd. Given my recent illness, I started a 2mi brick at 190w and increased by 5w every quarter mile. I stuck with the plan, and felt as if I got a good WKO (100TSS with Bike) without overextending during my recovery. Now if I could only stop coughing.

• Options

60' run in today, first hour run of the OS. I've been cutting these short as I build up a little. 40' @TRP and 10 zn3 work felt good. If last week was an indicator I'll be tired tomorrow running in to work. No one said this was easy.

• Options

Weekend runs done;

Sat. Did 60' on TM as 40' TRP, 15' Zn3, 5' CD.

Sun. brick TRP run off the bike.