Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Keith Shireman Micro Thread 2020

So I'm nearing the end of the Outseason and I'm looking at what's next as I continue towards IM Tulsa. According to the plan @Coach Patrick has for me:

On 2/3/2020 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 2/9/2020 - On 2/10/2020 Load the -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 3/22/2020 - On 3/9/2020 Load the -- EN Full Run Focused to end on 5/31/2020 - On 6/1/2020 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 6/28/2020

So looking at Swim Camp do I continue the lower run times that are posted instead of continuing the higher mileage that was built up during the Outseason? What about the bike? Times spent on the bike is at 2.5 hrs now and the plan shows only 1 hr rides. I guess I'm just concerned about not keeping the higher mileage up and continuing on towards the full distance. BTW I'm not a newbie. This is my 7th year receiving coaching from EN. Plans change every year so I want to make the best of this in May.

Comments

• Options

Keith, thanks for reaching out. I know that you’re not a newbie… For some reason your name always sticks in my head like you are so mythical hero who works with Robin Hood. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, enough of my issues! The whole reason we have swim camp in there is to give your body a break. It’s important to have the workload drop off a bit so your body can consolidate it’s Fitness, before pushing on words into the last half of your season. Swim camp was created to give you something to do that would also allow you to rest. When I tell our athletes to rest, they completely ignore me. So I guess you could say swim camp is meant to be some kind of evil trick.

how about you and I compromise and meet somewhere in the middle? We take a good first week off and reduce the run and bike loads down significantly while you bring up the swimming and allow your body to recover. My hope is that this means you get some additional sleep as your body rests. When you enter the second week of some camp, you can bring the run frequency back up and plan on having the weekend be legitimate bike rides similar to what you would see in the fall playing.

If you want to map it out in Final Surge Notification and dropping Workouts, go forward and just let me know here.

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick for the response. If you remember on my season plan, you have me doing swim camp for one week since I have been swimming in the outseason. I'm coming off from injury so I'm just trying to build the run back up slowly. I'm in a happy place with the swim and the bike.

• Options

@Coach Patrick On my season road map for IM Tulsa, I finish swim camp and then start a 6 week bike focus block. There is no swimming listed during this time. Is that correct? No swimming for 6 weeks until I start the EN Full Run focused section?

@Coach Patrick

• Options

@Keith Shireman - Thank you for pointing out the situation. Or use this question as an opportunity to update our training plans so that you have resources available to you. If you go to the Final Surge website under View My Plans you will see that there is now a swim supplement plan specifically for the focus block.

These are six-week swim supplements that you can "overlay" on top of your focus block to keep your swim fitness up. Here are two screenshots so you can see:

You can move the workouts around as needed, please note that the Wednesday swim is "optional" depending on the volume you were looking for or the demands of your event. If you were going to a full distance race, then I would recommend you try to get all three swimmers in during this time.

Please let me know if you have any feedback!

• Options

That's the plan @Coach Patrick ! Already implemented and doing 3 days a week swim!

• Options

@Coach Patrick The Outseason will be starting soon but this will be a little bit different. I went to my team doctor last week to finally have my foot looked at. I have a bone spur on the attachment of my Achilles. It's not cutting or shearing into the tendon. Just causing pain more than likely due to overuse (high mileage). I've been taking a break from running outside and staying on the elliptical for 2 weeks. Doc said maybe be a little bit longer and start back with low mileage. My question is should i stay on the elliptical when the Outseason starts or just wait until I can get outside? IM Tulsa is my A race for 2021. I just want to be smart and not push too hard to get the run back so I can be on track for next year.

• Options

@Keith Shireman -- thanks for the update. I agree, we need to make things a little different. I would still stick to the elliptical until you are in a place where you are pain-free. I would go at least two more weeks from this post, so probably the week of 11/9 or 11/16 will be a good time to start re-integrating running.

At that time, Yes with me running short distances on Sundays but going back to the elliptical and others. That would be a four week progression. By the time we hit mid December you would be back to running consistently and leaving the electrical behind.

I am curious to know if your Team Doc gave you any exercises? A bone spur at the attachment point is often due to not only the running, but also decreased ankle mobility. You can work on that with stretches or a band for distraction (i use this myself). Here's a video of elevated, but you can do on flat ground as well. I even sometimes turn around, to face the anchor point, although thats not fun.

Hard core ankle mobility would be something like the DCT Proflex, but bands should be a good place to start.

Get me an update!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick that's the plan I was thinking of doing as well. Ankle mobility is fine. I typically stretch a couple of times a day, morning and evening. I started the Outseason last year PRing my runs 2-3 times a week. I was pushing to hard too soon. Today has been 2 weeks since I went straight to the elliptical and it feels better. I will wait 2 more weeks before going back outside to run and ease back into running. I'm not worried about trying to PR at the beginning of this upcoming Outseason. I have all the bands and tools I need in my office/training room. I will keep you updated in a few weeks on my progression and we'll try to setup a call for sometime in December to assess the situation.

• Options

@Keith Shireman Sounds perfect...and yes to building. Early run excellence is low HR, good cadence, solid form, etc! And, saying this for myself as well, time on Mon/Friday working on mobility and strength.

~ Coach Patrick