Home Community Forum 🏠

2020 Holiday Run Challenge

edited November 24, 2020 4:10PM in Community Forum 🏠

2020 Holiday Run Challenge

8 Days, Wednesday to Wednesday, 12/25 to 1/1 inclusive

Okay folks, it's that time of year again. That’s right. The pools are closed. Your trainer didn’t fit in the minivan so you couldn’t bring it to Aunt Merna’s house. All you have is your running shoes and a burning desire to get outside. I am talkin’ ‘bout...drumroll please…

The Annual Holiday Run Challenge

Stay fit and have fun this holiday season by joining your crazy EN teammates for an 8-Day Run Challenge!!!

This is a solo challenge to keep our minds off the sugar cookies and mulled cider and on coming out ahead of the game on New Years, perhaps a few pounds lighter and, of course, feeling superior over our friends who will all be complaining about the 5lbs they gained over the holidays on top of the 15 they gained from COVID!

If you do not think you can do it alone and the accountability to the Team is not enough, you can "align" yourself with a Team just by putting a team name in the tracking spreadsheet.

So lace up your shoes, fire up your Internet connection and start planning those runs!

How to Score Points (Use the Calculator here):

• 1 point per mile run.
  • 1 additional point for each hour run (whole numbers only 1, 2, etc.)
  • 1 additional point for a run in sub-32 degrees weather.
  • 1 additional point for each mile run at (or above) Threshold Pace (10k pace).
  • 5 bonus points for running all 8 days of challenge.
  • Note: This runs on the honor system, please only post your actual run results.

Rewards:

• Fitness is it's own reward...really!
  • Bragging rights

Points Examples:

• If it takes me one hour to run 8 miles in 40-degree weather with 2 miles
  • at threshold... I get 8 x 1 point for distance (8), 1 point for 1 hour
  • of running (1), 0 points for sub-32 degree running, and 2x1 point for
  • the threshold miles (2)...I will have earned 11 points for my run.
  • If you run less than an hour, like 45 minutes, you don’t get the “hour” points!

Instructions:

1. Join the 2018 Holiday Run Forum Thread (YOU ARE HERE!)
  2. Invite teammates to participate; consider forming a Team!
  3. Enter your name in the Spreadsheet (be careful to use the 2018 tab and to not to fudge anyone else's info!).
  4. Calculate and update your Holiday Runs daily, starting on 12/25, using the Point Calculator tab in the same Spreadsheet (it’s the first one, bottom left).
  5. Log daily workouts in Spreadsheet. Talk smack + post pics in this forum.
  6. Earn points and get fit!   

FAQs:

Where is the spreadsheet?

It's online as a shared Google document here.

Do I need a Google account?

You shouldn't need one, but you _do_ need to be careful when entering your data that you only touch your space in the spreadsheet and not anyone else's!

How do I create a Team?

Just write in a team name and the sheet will start calculating your team data.