Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ

Gulf Coast 70.3 2020

Looking for a group or thread to discuss this particular race. Can anyone direct me to the appropriate group/thread?

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi, @iluvluc I did this race last year and am signed up to do it again this year. I did a race report, but not sure where they go after you fill out the short form version. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have! As we get closer to race day, there may be a groupme chat going.

• edited January 30, 2020 4:03PM
  • @Sabra Gonzalez we are racing each other again my friend!

@iluvluc I am in the same boat as Sabra. Did it last year and prepping for it again this year. Let us know if you have any questions.

Off the top of my head the few adjustments I am already making for 2020:

Prepare for a non-wetsuit legal swim that could take a while. The ocean was not calm last year and its a coin toss as to what you will get race morning. Everyone one from Pros to the newest beginners struggled in the swim last year.

Heat acclimation will help. Again, its a question mark as to whether you will get a nice day or a sauna on the run. Last year felt like a sauna after training in Atlanta mid-70s for my race prep. A 10 degree temperature swing can alter so much of what worked for race rehearsal to what fails on race day. Do what you can to mimic the heat in training and be prepared to need to drink more fluids than you did in training if you are like me (traveling south several hours to race). It may not be hot, but in contrast to winter and early spring training blocks, it will feel like it.

Looking forward to it though! Learned some lessons the hard way in 2019 and will likely learn different lessons in 2020. Ha!

• @Jonathan Benson - Great advice on the swim. I thought the RD took a risk in letting it proceed last year. I felt confident with over a decade of OWS under the belt but yeah, it was rough and slow.