Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Run Thread - Week 6

Hopefully we are all coming off a successful test week, and from the forums and group chat I know a lot of us are also coming off a period of flu or sickness. Ugh! No despair, we all still have time, and the 4 weeks of work we put in before the week 5 test week will show its benefit as we all get healthy and move on into the meat of the JOS!

We will be changing things up a bit this week as both the RF and BF groups will be doing the same intervals : repeat 800s or 1 miles at Z4. The RF team up until this point has been doing hill repeats on Wednesday, so now we get to add some speed on top of our strength!

Run Focus

• Both LV 1 & 3 run plan athletes increase run one extra time this week to 5-6 times ,
  • Weekend: you run both Sat and Sun, with 1:30 on the long run

Bike Focus:

• LV3 adds one run this week
  • Weekend: You run after the bike for 65-85 mins on Sunday

Finally a big shout out to the NOS team who finished their 14 weeks and will be transitioning to what is next on their schedule. I appreciate following them, and learning from their run leader @Patrick Hayden. Congrats!

Have a fabulous week 6 everyone!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Had this in my last week 5 post but did not want it to get buried there.

I also owe the group an OS goal for running.  I'm setting a 42 VDOT goal for end of OS.  Note this is based on my current screwed up treadmill estimate of 38, which is most likely lower or possibly higher but I'll test in the same conditions in week 14 that I did last week. 

With the continued weight loss(12-20lbs), the mile one sandbagging on the last test, and pervious OS best of 38 while weighing 230+ I believe this is a stretch goal but doable assuming I'm not out of the run mix too long. It is attainable.

My thinking each lbs you lose gives your 2-3" per mile. I've found 2 easily enough but not sure where that will start to flatten out. So if I hit my weight loss goals I get 24-60" off my most recent test, which leaves 60" to 1' 36" in adaptations I need to take off my week 5 test. Now back to work taking 2' off my 5k time.

• Options

Still dealing with a hamstring issue in my left leg so I'm being very cautious about running. Did a little running on an indoor track yesterday after warming up on a rowing machine and before weights. I could feel it a little after just a short bout of running so I shut it down. I did squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, and curls and didn't feel anything so that was good, I guess.

• Options

I don't post many weekend workouts, hardly ever look at a computer on the weekend. So what I've been doing for my weekend long run is do it on my treadmill so I can control the paces, and get the run done properly. I don't really like the TM, but this is giving me a very good workout, and too many of the long runs were turning into just Zone 1 runs outside.

This morning got in the 2X1 mi. Zn 4 run. Hadn't done a threshold run in a while, but went very well. Plan to get in 5 runs this week.

• Options

Way to be cautions @Mark Cardinale

2x1 mile TM repeats this morning. Work has been draining the last couple of days and I was not excited about getting up this morning.

After the 15' warm-up, I was feeling good, set the TM to 9 mph and just let 'er rip.

I've been able to keep the 5-6 runs a week in the 21-25 mile range.

• Options

Got in Tuesday run yesterday on the treadmill because of rain. On the bike focus plan and squeezing in all four of the bike workouts Monday to Thursday. Going out of town this weekend. Legs felt okay given that I had already done both of the bike VO2 workouts. I was able to get in 4 strides @ 30" each. I missed one of them as I hit the start stop button instead of the lap button for the first one. Ooops! Oh well, got it right on the last ones. I have never really tried to do the strides in the past because I have always thought what good can 20" - 30" do. That was not easy and I can see where it will help teach your body to run faster. Did them at 6.0, 6.2, 6.4, and 6.6 on the treadmill. That was pretty fast running for me as my 5K test was 10:16 per mile.

Long run tomorrow and then filling in Friday through Sunday with TRP runs and the FTP run. Going to get them done early while everyone else is still sleeping.

• Options

having a tough time with travel & illness of jumpstarting any run. I had to stop becasue of PRP injections/ rehab I had in the fall.

goal is to build up to mid to high teens pw by running 1.5-3 mpd with a "reach" day of 4+ miles.

one issue is the weather, no treddy at home and who wants to run in rain when its in the 30s & 40s? I do have TM access at the gym, but it seems off. I get on the road and easily run 8:30-8:40/mile and on the TM I am running mid to high 9s, worse is that Stryd says I am going slightly slower than TM speed.. (i need to look at the power #? and figure that out!)

so, this AM ran 4.5 miles after missing yesterday, but doing the bike 5x2' intervals last night.. hoping I get to 15 miles before trip to Utah on Saturday. Goal in Utah is to wake up and run 2-3 MPD before skiing.

• Options

@Bill Eckert don't you hate it when Garmin changes the lap button with the stop button? 😋

• Options

Nice interval work this morning peeps! Some Central Park Z4 interval work for me with TM @1%.

• Options

Great work in here team! I'm still not doing great so I am swimming + sauna this week. Will be sure to jump back into the run tomorrow and into the weekend.

• Options

I am off schedule but the sickness is dictating the plan. Went for my first run in 2 weeks. Went by feel and HR. Hr wasn't to outragious. Pace ....SLOW but enjoyable. Gait felt loose and smooth. No coughing. Just not a lot of get up and go.

Spin class last night was brutal. A blood bath. 🤕 But stuck it out. Tomorrow plan on a run and a bike. Nothing too serious.

Keep up the strong work!

• Options

Down run week for me. Still getting in 8+ miles this week but mostly walking. Thigs are feeling good and I'll resume next week. I know better its better to take one of these step back weeks than push through.

• Options

Progressive HR Brick run to end the week.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2020 3:08AM

A couple of weeks ago @Daniel Ballin asked us to post some photos of our run. I don't usually carry a phone with me when I run, but I was walking today so I had it with me. This is one of the Washington State capitol and Trivoli fountain.

• Options

Swans on Capitol Lake

• Options

Capitol Lake and, wait for it, the state capitol.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2020 3:24AM

Weekly update. I went for an exploratory run on Wednesday running about 5 minutes and then walking for a minute. That worked until it didn't. About 2 miles in my left hammy hit me hard. Luckily I was only about a half mile from home so I walked home, stretched, and tended to it. Did a strength workout on Friday with TRX straps that included one legged squats and it felt OK. No other running though.

Today I decided to do a long brisk walk, hence the photos above, with short 200ish yard run breaks. Kept the run breaks slow at a 10-12 minute pace. That felt OK so this week I'll take that tack of doing walks with run breaks to see how that will do. If things don't get better I'll email my doc to see if I can get a PT referral.

BTW, the walk I took is around Capitol Lake. It's about a 5.25 mile loop leaving from my house with about 200 feet of elevation gain. The lake is at sea level and our house is at 192 feet elevation. So I get to run downhill first and then run back uphill at the end. It's a real treat to have a loop like that with a gravel running path along side the sidewalk for about a half of it.

• Options

Amazing photos @Mark Maurer and thanks for sharing. I used to live in Penticton BC and I love Washington state. I need to follow up with photos of my own this week. I finally made it back out running yesterday after 2 weeks off with sickness. Took it super easy, and amazed at how slow I had to run to keep my HR in MAF range. Will be ramping back up again slowly. Did the same with bike this weekend watching Hr and just getting the volume back.

Also @Mark Maurer with hamstring issues I find it best to make all runs flat until you can run pain free. I know it is hard in hilly areas which may mean the dreadmill for a bit :(

@Shaughn Simmons is looking to be right on pace for for great IMSG and @Jeff Phillips seems to bang out every workout as prescribed. Ditto for @Bill Eckert!

Keep it up team.