Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

2020 EN Birthday Challenge Thread [Info & Reports]

Congratulations on your annual milestone...this is the place to go to learn how you can celebrate "Endurance Nation Style" and share the mojo with your teammates!

B-Day Mission: Exercise in some combination of Swim, Bike and/or Run to commemorate your day. Or just ride to a pastry shop and indulge...just make sure whatever you get has the same number of portions as you are years old! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Need Help Planning? Ask the Team for advice right here. Since many of you have been 29 years old for a long, long time it's possible you already have a good plan in place. ๐Ÿคฃ

Reporting Out: Once you are done, REPLY TO THIS THREAD and post links to your Strava files so the team can see what you did, along with a brief report and, of course, the obligatory picture.

Benefits: Complete the birthday challenge to earn the recognition and love of your fellow teammates. That and we'll make a donation on your behalf to Charity:Water. ๐Ÿ‘Just be sure to tag @Brenda Ross when you post so we get notified!

Comments

• Options

OMG. I need to complete this today. Good thing I had a good start this morning :)

• Options

same number of portions.... hmmm ....let me see... 69 this August--the pastry would put me in a sugar coma, # of intervals would cripple me... the only thing I can think is 69 minutes of something would be do-able--not many options here! LOL I'll have to get creative.

• Options

For my birthday challenge I wanted to complete a longer race than I have been doing recently. I started the day off with about a 45 mile race. The race went well until near the end of the first lap where I lost connection to my PowerTap pedals. I thought about quitting because I really don't like just pedaling by myself, but decided instead to change my batteries and then do some more steady riding and try to catch some groups in front of me. I'm glad I did. You can see the big drop out but then I had some good steady 3.1 - 3.6 riding and my HR didn't go crazy :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/3096294983

After this race, I went to lunch and had a great lunch with some of my kids. I had a half sandwich and half of a Nutella, banana, and strawberry crepe.

I then saw on the Zwift companion app that the KOA race was 4 laps of Volcano. That race is broadcast on FB and gets lots of super strong riders. I had done an 8 lap KOA race and it about killed me, so I thought a 4 lap race would be perfect for another crazy effort. I also didn't do quite the effort I wanted to in the morning. Here are some pictures of the craziness

Wow. That start was hard, as well as the other parts. All the hills were 9 w/kg and there were very few easy sections. Most was above my previous FTP. I was super happy with my HR actually changing during that race! 4.7 for 24 minutes was insane but well worth it. Also, I had 53 TSS which was how old I was before the 13th. So add the FTP bump and I equaled my age :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/3097652722

After the race, we went to eat my favorites, NIPA, queso, and tacos.

My legs are sore today :)