Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Jonathan Benson Official Coach Thread [Upgrade TeamEN]

@Jonathan Benson

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Gulf Coast (2020-05-09) #70.3GC<em>20
  • Ironman Florida (TBD) #IMFL</em>20</p>

Your Notes

2018 - (Did not use EN)

IMTX - 10:50 (great nutrition, good pacing but a serious flat tire)

IM70.3 Augusta - 5:12 (hot day & poor pacing and nutrition)

2019 - (Used EN from Outseason after Augusta through current. Highly compliant with the exception of swimming)

IM70.3 Gulf Coast 5:07 - 45' swim, 2:16 bike, 2:00 run (nutrition related)

IMChoo 11:15 - 1:18 swim, 5:32 bike, 4:15 run (hot day, well...you know) well executed, swim fitness lacking

FTP heading into Choo was ~330w at 170 lbs (this weight I have held for roughly a year, don't need to lose any more)

Last outseason was bike focus. IM70.3 Gulf Coast and IMChoo build were bike focus.Currently recovering from Choo but ready for the Outseason bike intervals!

On track for a second consecutive year of ~1300 miles of running. Extremely limited swimming since lead up for IMTX in 2018.

Gulf Coast 2020 may be questionable, but targeting a May-June half in the Southeast. (Gulf Coast/Virginia/Chattanooga)

Considering IMFL (bike suits me/swim doesn't), but if you think IMCHOO or IMLouisville would be better, I'm open to any given they are all TBD for 2020 as of now.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on November 2019

• On 10/28/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 02/02/2020
  • On 2/3/2020 Load the Swim Camp to end on 2/16/2020
  • On 2/10/2020 Load the EN Half Run Focused to end on 5/10/2020
  • On 5/11/2020 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 05/24/2020
  • On 5/25/2020 Load the Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 08/02/2020
  • On 8/3/2020 Load the EN Full Bike Focused to end on 11/08/2020
  • On 11/9/2020 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/06/2020
  • On 12/7/2020 Load the Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 01/03/202

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Jonathan Benson

Hey Jonathon, Welcome! Super cool have you with us at Team EN.

I'm here help you get setup in Final Surge, make adjustments, and update you on our execution guidance. Our goal is to make you fitter, smarter about pacing, fueling, hydration, and put together a race that you can be proud of!

If any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

A few thoughts on getting setup and organized.

First off, think of this as an opportunity to get fitter, smarter, and share your experience with the rest of the team. Coach Patrick has designed a Race Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game. Check out the GroupMe, forums and the learning section from the main Endurance Nation page to get started (see below for links).

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather, and paces etc. Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank, how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Here are a few things to do: 

#1 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

Here is how: 

#2 Down load the Final Surge App

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

#3 Join our GroupMe chat

Our forums and GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat, start a forum post, or just search the library.

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. GroupMe is a running group chat that team members use to get a quick answer to a question, accountability, and celebrate a new PR!

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#4 Get Smarter. Train and race like a veteran! Learn more and dial in your own training and race execution. Get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans

Forums

If social media and chat groups are not your thing. Take a look at our forums. These are not your typical forums or chat rooms. These are where our smartest members hang out and answer questions or give advice. Think of this as your biggest group of endurance and athlete friends. These folks are super helpful. We have a set of Wicked Smart Members (WSM). These athletes are vetted by the rest of the team and Coach Patrick. They are recognized for their expertise and willingness to help.

As part of your TeamEN membership you now have complete access to the entire Learning section. Check out the Coach Lesson Videos, Race Execution Guidance there and look through the forums. There are tons of race reports to help you learn more about training and racing.

SignIn

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories

Learn More about your HIM and IM Plans

SignIn

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#full

#5 Smart Trainer Integration

We have workouts already built for Zwift and Trainer Road for the OutSeason, HIM and IM plans. If you have a smart trainer and a Zwift or Trainer Road account, download the workouts for Zwift to your computer or login to Trainer Road library and get after it inside.

SignIn

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#outseason

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

For Trainer Road: Use this like to request access to the EN workout library. Request access by sending a message "Request Invite to Trainer Road" to ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com 

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

Talk with you soon,

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Thanks guys! I enjoyed the Choo GroupMe and will look into these others, I am on Final Surge now, and will look into Zwift. Historically I have been a TrainerRoad guy, so I am not set-up for Zwift quite yet!

Coach P - To answer your questions:

The Outseason went fantastic. I did the bike focus. Going into IMChoo I had pushed to an FTP of 330 but it was relatively untested. Came into the Outseason there and exited in the 350w range at 170lbs. I think I managed this with a solid balance between good nutrition, consistency through the holidays, and a solid Normatec streak (like a run streak, but different, ha!).

Didn't swim (didn't have to tell me twice).

Where I fell short was run frequency in several weeks. I averaged over 20 miles a week, but where I should have gotten 5 runs, I did 3, and so on. However, even with the lower volume of running, the bike aided in strengthening me across the board. I PR'd the 5k several times in training. Currently sitting at a 19:08 in a "walk out the door, run a warm up mile, and then hit it the gas around the neighborhood" style test. I have a true 5k race on March 7th to push for something around 18:45 (?). I wont taper for it and in fact have the Half Challenge ride afterward of 4:30 hours, but I am optimistic that it will be a successful run if the conditions are right.

As for what I am looking to solve for...nothing really. Social engagement? Race Insights? Better insight into things like sweat tests and sharing knowledge. I feel like I am on an island. I have a handful of guys local to me that are in the endurance space, but none are edging towards a high level of competition or strength. If anything, the Outseason makes it nearly impossible to go ride or run with others when you exit at a level that has left people you know in the dust (#truth).

2020 Season Outlook: Still solidly on track for Gulf Coast 70.3. Finishing week one of the Race Prep phase this week. The Tuesday SPD run was fun, but I think it drained me for the Wednesday FTP ride, so I will have to navigate that better next week. That could mean backing off from 100% of Z4 work t 95% until I acclimate to the training stress of 3 sports.

IMFL is a question mark right now. I looked at the Full plan. It looks manageable (shorter, more intense long rides), but we are expecting out second child on March 14th. So currently the plan is to work toward Gulf Coast, then the 2 week recovery phase, and the Get Faster plan, then 16 weeks out from IMFL evaluate if and Ironman is something the family can handle before registering. If not, hopefully you can direct me in how to manage my training toward a 2021 Full. You have had some experience with long distances from KQ to Kona itself, so that insight would be great if it comes to it.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2020 6:30PM

@Jonathan Benson

Thanks for the update. I'm stoked to hear your OutSeason went so well. I would say you really got the most out of that training. PRs in the 5k and increased FTP! That's winning!💥 What I am even more impressed with is, your understand of yourself as an athlete. You have a real objective perspective. While you recognize the gains you have made, you also understand the shortfalls in run consistency and the insights on your recent run intensity impact on your subsequent bike workouts. Also your phased decision making on IM Florida, pending your new baby and Gulf Coast. That's really crushing from a training execution and objective assessment skills, across the board.

What are you trying to solve for? Since you are heading into your race specific training block and have just returned/upgraded to TeamEN, this a great time to research and think about your approach to execution at Gulf Coast. We recommend starting with a review of our detailed race execution guidance (here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution

The reflect on your past experiences at Augusta and Gulf Coast - both seem to have a trend of nutrition., which can be tricky for athletes with your engine. You can go at a higher intensity for the HIM, but need to find that edge of intensity that you can still process your fueling and hydration. One approach is write the story of how those two races unfolded for you, then draw your conclusions on what went right and make a clear distinction of what assumptions you made about those races. Then, you can compare our race execution to your past experience and post your thoughts in the the forums to get all our members to weigh with experience and see what applies for you. You can then practice what you learned during your race prep for Gulf Coast so you can have a race and run that you can be proud of. Bottom line this is a great time for you to leverage the benefits of TeamEN and help you dial your training and race execution.

Great call on the audible for rest of the season after Gulf Coast. We look forward to it.

Matt

• Options

Half Wk 1 Sweat Test (2/23/2020):

Zwift - 3 x 17:40 (1') - 295w, 300w, 300w

Start: 170.6 lbs

End: 169.0 lbs

Drank 25oz liquid (2.25 scoops of Gatorade Endurance, 8g EAAs, 5g BCAAs, 100mg caffeine)

• Options

@Jonathan Benson Nice work...so you lost 25 ounces in your hour of the session drinking just one bottle.

So that means in those conditions, you are closer to 2 bottles per hour...which will give you more calories (might have to adjust any food you are eating).

Here is a basic transition schedule....regular rides can be regular fluids, but part of the weekend rides is this acclimation!

• Week 1 long ride: 1.5 bottles per hour (aka 1/4 bottle per 15 minutes).
    • Week 2 long ride: 1.75 bottles per hour (2/5 bottle per 15 mins).
    • Week 3 long ride: 2 bottles per hour (1/5 bottle per 15 mins).

~ Coach P

• Options

On Saturday I busted out a 5k PR! Followed by a Sunday Challenge Ride of 4:30 on Zwift.

Watch Time: 18:15 (previous official 19:53 and previous in-training a19:07)

16th overall and 5th in my AG. It is a very popular Peachtree Road Race (Atlanta) qualifier so considering the field, I was super happy time and result. Could have leveled the playing field a bit if we had made them do a bike FTP workout beforehand!

• Options

Also - The baby is coming this week! Yay! (Family - 1, Training - 0)... Lord please help me with my priorities...

I am in Week 4 of the Half Ironman Plan. What are my critical workouts for this week? I have been nailing everything so far. Secretly I want to be like Coach P and ride Zwift for 300 miles this week but probably not the best idea. I do not feel I need the bike test, but will get the Swim test done. Really then, do I pick up my split long run and SPD interval run (moved to the weekend) or do I focus the bike work this week and sprinkle in the run frequency every day of 2-3 miles?

• Options

@Jonathan Benson Congratulations! 👊🏃‍♂️💥 I'm running out of awesome emojis to use. 18:15! What a PR! #workworks. You have been killing it with a lot of consistent work. Join the club. We all secretly want to be like Coach P and ride Zwift for 300 miles. This week - family is always first. Swim test = yes. You have a good sense for your bike and run fitness. It would be great to get a feel for where we are with the swim. You have put in the time there too, so it would nice to get a feel for where we are at. For other workouts, keep it balanced prioritize that split run and try to get a quality bike in ABP style (if you can get the total time in - its okay to increase the intensity if you need to go shorter. You have been nailing that split and we would like to keep that consistency. Channel a little Coach P and Zwift race if you need to go shorter. Something everyday would be great if your schedule gets crazy or unpredictable. How does that sound?

BTW. Did you check out the race execution stuff I posted above? Could be some little hospital reading material! Let me know if we can help any more. Let us know how it goes!

• Options

@Jonathan Benson You have been a workout generating machine! How is it going? I saw you joined GroupMe too?!

• Options

Selah (say-luh) Josephine Benson

3-11-2020

7lb 12oz

• Options

@matt limbert Sorry I typed up the above and never hit the post comment button haha! Family is doing well though! Baby and Mama are healthy and we are adjusting well. A silver lining to a forced work from home situation is that I am around to help.

As for the workouts, just enjoying Zwift. I love FTP work, but the balance of sweet spot with VO2 can work some magic as long as the VO2 is done at an appropriate difficulty. I am new to Zwift so its been a fun change and simultaneously I have been watching old Ironman races on Facebook on my ipad. I went a little bike crazy last week but am back to a more bike/run balanced approach this week. I also just started using Crossover Symmetry for shoulder/back in lieu of swimming for now. Strangely enough Ironman has not done anything with Gulf Coast 70.3. Things have change that were originally scheduled in weeks prior and post so staying the course for now. Starting to see real solid improvements from years of consistency and no injuries. Weight still good at sub-170 lb so I am getting very close to, if not at, a 4.5 w/kg FTP. Just need to make sure that it trickles down to Ironman and 70.3 efforts.

• Options

@Jonathan Benson How come your kids are so cute when you are such an ugly beast?!?! 🤣 congratulations and thanks for sharing...need a smile!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick ... You met my wife. I married way up. Maybe they will get my hard work or determination characteristics. The quality internal stuff... 😂

• Options

Hit a new 20' high power on Tuesday afternoon of 377w after a Vo2 workout!

With Gulf Coast currently postponed, not sure if continuing to log long runs of greater than 75 minutes is valuable right now? I guess I can continue out my HIM plan through May 9th limited the long run distance. I don't have any other races on the calendar as of now. Thoughts?

Also I just posted a thread about ERG mode pros and cons. Would love your thoughts on that.

• Options

@Jonathan Benson

You might be our most successful athlete right now! 😀💪 5k PR. New high power 377 AFTER the VO2 workout. So cool.

I would like to recommend switching to our bike specificity block for the next 6 weeks. It will increase your cycling volume and reduce the run. The reason being, the next few weeks in the HIM plan have a lot of race intensity and rehearsal work, then a taper. Since riding outside is limited, we can trade race rehearsal work for structured work on the trainer, and a little less running then still transition to Get Faster Plan (back to more running late May) and the IM race specific plan in prep for a fall IM. What do you think?

• Options

@matt limbert are we talking about this plan?

[Specificity] Bike Focus Plan, All Abilities (6wks)

If so, I am fine with that. Run frequency seems to stay up a little which is also good.

Is there anything wrong with sprinkling in some Sweet Spot work to add in maintaining capacity for higher watts in the 10-15' interval range? I do so enjoy it! Or could sweet spot work be rolled into the ABP ride if I am feeling good? If not advisable, I'm fine with crushing and cruising for a few weeks.

• Options

@Jonathon Benson

Yes! That is the one. Interesting point on the sweet spot and I love the post you made in for forums on ERG. Those guys got to it first and don't have much more to add. They covered it well. I'm a fan for ERG once in a while. Mine isn't super responsive on the ramp - so the short duration and high power stuff I do a free ride and actually turn around on a hill to get the extra resistance. Or race crit city 😂. I build my confidence and power on the ERG and towards the end of a progression of work, I then try to do it without and compare my results.

I'm talking to Coach Patrick on how to adjust the rest of your Season Roadmap. You are absolutely crushing everything we throw at you. You are still all set for this week and next week. We should have something back to you in couple of days. For now - just keep crushing it. 😀

• Options

@Jonathan Benson Here is your modified Season Roadmap:

4/6 - 5/17 Bike Specificity [6 weeks] ***modified weekend workouts with more Sweet Spot work

5/18 - 7/26 Get Faster [10 weeks]

7/27 -8/16 IM Prep [3 weeks]

8/17 - 11/8 IM Race Specificity Bike Focused [12 weeks]

You mentioned an interest to do a bit a sweet spot work instead of the Cruise and Crush ride, so I modified the weekend workouts during this next block of Bike Specificity - to a Sweet Spot + Crush format. It is still 2.5 hrs of work, with the main set in sweet spot with some crush work in the remainder of the time. That way you can work sweet spot for a bit and maintain the short duration high power gains you have made so far. The Get Faster Block shifts back to an emphasis on VO2 max short and long work. After that block you transition into the IM race prep block, where we shift the stressor one more time to longer more volume based workouts dropping the intensity abit. This will give you a chance to absorb all of the work you just did over the summer, before we start your final race specific training block. The Bike Specificity and Get Faster workouts are not built in Trainer road, so that can give you a chance to work on your non-erg mode interval skills 😂. These are all loaded up into your Final Surge account. So, give me a 😀, 👊, 👍️, or 🤔 and let us know what you think.

• Options

@matt limbert  Dude, I love the sound of that Saturday work. 4x11'/1'(7') is perfect. I didn't notice until now, but I am also already salivating over that 8 hour bike in a few weeks. Last year for my Choo Challenge ride I got on Silver Comet here in Atlanta and went out to Alabama = 7 hrs round trip and 142 miles later I was toast, but it was an awesome day. Depending on the state of things, I may take the opportunity to put a hefty dent in the tron bike goal and climb ADZ 8 times that day instead. Certainly not 120 miles, but the time equivalent for sure! 🤣

• Options

@Jonathan Benson Excellent! 😀 I like both those ideas for challenge rides and you have the right idea for a trainer ride - it doesn't need to be 8 hours on the trainer. If you have the time and you have to ride inside , you could also split it into two rides in the same day - say 3.5 hrs in the morning and another 3 + hours in the afternoon. But really your Silver Comet option sounds really cool. We can talk more when you get closer. Thanks for the reply and I'm glad you like it.

• Options
    edited April 28, 2020 1:14AM

@matt limbert hit 13 hours on the bike last week all said and done. Didn't quite get the 8 hour Sunday ride, but a 2:50 ride in the afternoon and a 2:30 ride in the evening in the 240-250w average. It was on zwift so I don't feel too bad about missing the last couple hours. Ironman's solution for postponing Gulf Coast 70.3 was to hold it on the same day as IMFL. I emailed them and just had them move me to the full. Since I will be there anyway, figured why not?! Only a handful of hours per week difference in training in the final builds and I knew if I didn't push for the full that - on the day - I would regret having not gone for the 140.6. That being said... that is so stinking far away.

• Options

So I am sticking without plans as they are currently set - I just have to really use my will power to do the work assigned versus doing aimless additional work with the goal of keeping me mentally fresh for August - October.

Anyway - just an update.

• Options

@Jonathan Benson Thanks for the update. 😀 Great to hear from you. Nice work on splitting that ride with that kind of average power back to back. Nice job. You are doing really well. Your training is right on track. We can easily adjust things to keep you mentally fresh along the way. Keep checking in. Whenever you want.

• Options

@Jonathan Benson I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Thanks so much for your feedback on the get faster plan. I'd be curious to know your specific thoughts. Is it just too much across-the-board? Or too much at a certain point in the week? I consider this plan to be a critical part of the midpoint of the season, and I value your input. Anything you could share would be appreciated.

Forget, working in some bigger cycling volume is a great way to shock the system before you make the transition to race prep. If you happen to have some availability in the next three weeks, like yourself in the saddle for a big day over 100 miles. You can thank me for it later 🤣

As a reminder, Jonathan Benson Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Truth be told I think the Get Faster plan needs a tune-up. It has lead me to some burnout over the last several weeks. I have three weeks left of it scheduled (including the test week which I likely won't do), then a three week intermittent stint to get me to thr 12 week ironman plan for Florida. My focus from now to mid August is to maintain ad much consistency as possible, life permitting, without further draining my motivation.

• Options

Hey Coach,

I spent some time looking back at my last 12 months and I don't think its the Get Faster Plan specifically.

In the last 12 months my bike fitness has grown exponentially. Double digit FTP percentage increase which has been fantastic and I have seen the ripple effects through all of my zones.

I think where I may have made a wrong turn this year - Outseason straight into half plan. Half way through the half plan for Gulf Coast 70.3 we adjusted due to Covid into the 6 week bike focus plan, which is a lot of work mentally and physically with the long VO2 sets. Afterward I moved into the Get Faster Plan without much consideration for rest. Add to that the timing of the weather shifting to summer and I think it just lead to me physically struggling to hit watts which lead to the mental struggle.

The Saturday rides in Get Faster and eaten my lunch just about every week. Possibly due tot he undulating nature of the MS2 but it has not been fun to feel like I can never complete the darn thing.

Anyway, I think backing off into more z2-3 work in prep for IMFL (it may still happen), will be good for me.

• Options

So it seems like spending the next 12-15 weeks with the sole focus of Ironman Florida may not be the most reasonable option to close out the season. I gave some consideration to Coach P's post on closing out 2020 the most effective way possible and I would appreciate some thoughts on the below:

I signed up for the August Best Bike Camp this morning, which we can include/allocate within my currently scheduled training. I am also doing the August DIY Race which can be switched in a Saturday long ride on August 29th.

As for an Epic Fall bike, I am giving consideration to riding from my home to my in-laws (I know what you're thinking, why would you ever choose that destination?!). It is ~250 miles by bike point to point. I could align it with the IM Week 7 race simulation weekend and instead of a simulation, hit a big volume day on October 5th or 6th by doing this ride (depending on weather). Just a thought.

But my real question though; the consensus seems to be that IMFL is not happening. If that is the case, should I re-roadmap the remainder of the year banking on no IMFL, then If it does happen as currently scheduled, just through training consistency and a few key weekends, I could be fit enough to complete versus compete.

• Options

@Jonathan Benson The Test Results are IN!

Talk about crushing it! I couldn't wait to talk with Coach Patrick and then get you some preliminary results. These numbers are insane! We just had to get them too you early.👊

VO2Max 74

FTP: 385 W, which is 83.2% of your VO2max - just about perfect

4.9 W/kg

VLaMax 0.5 (scale of 0-1)

First off, your execution was spot on. Nailed it.💥 Max heart on the 3', 6', and 10' tests is exactly what we are looking. The slight fade in power for the 6' interval is actually what we need and the steady power for the 10' was again really well done.

You are probably saying, "What is this VLaMax that you speak of?" Well, VLaMax is one of the new metrics that we will talk about with the INSCYD testing. That what this week is all about. VLamax → V = flow rate. La = Lactate. Max = Maximum. For now, think about it the brother to VO2Max. Where VO2Max is measure of the your maximal oxygen consumption for aerobic power. VLaMax is your maximium rate of lactate generation for anaerobic power. Endurance athletes want a low number, Sprinters want a high number. It is totally trainable, just like VO2Max.

For the record, the last class nicknamed it "Vlama." Feel free to jump into the GroupMe, ask questions (or boast about) those numbers. Let us know what you think.

We will have a longer report for you with some more details about VLaMax, how to change it, where you fit on the scale, etc by Monday and we will talk more during our video call Wed.

Nice work. Coach Patrick said you had a huge engine. Now and totally understand.

• Options

@Jonathan Benson I really love your last two posts. The first one is a great self reflection and analysis that is really hard for some athletes to do, and develop actionable lessons learned. The second post is a great post about framing the future and applying what you learned from that self-reflection and lessons learned.

We completely agree with you spending the next 12-15 weeks with sole focus of IMLF may not be the most reasonable option. Signing up for the Best Bike Camp was a great move. We can help you identify the areas you can work on and continue to find those performance gains.

You have made a ton of progress this year, so we know you can do the work. With the Best Bike Camp we can identify the right work for you! Combine that with your reflection on getting enough rest and building those ebbs and flows into your year. That can set you up really well for 2021.

The Epic Fall bike ride is a great option. You incorporate some of what you will take away from Best Bike Camp into the IM plan and execute that ride. You can swap in a few of the new workouts Coach Patrick has put together and use the volume of the IM plan to get you ready for that big ride. We can work with you to balance the run and swim. Keep running for durability, swim if/when you can, and prioritize the bike.

You will get roadmap coming out of Best Bike Camp. You will give Coach Patrick your goals for 2021 and he can design this fall block of training to setup your 2021 while including you Epic Parent' In-Law Bike Ride.

Let us know what you think.

• Options

@matt limbert That sounds great. Not sure what the structure of the BBC (Best Bike Camp) is going to be, but I want to hit those workouts as a first priority.

Guidance on maintaining run durability and what that looks like would be great. Is is a move to the more frequent 2-3 mile runs, etc.?

Right now I am enjoying the pool. My gym has an outdoor one so its a great opportunity to get outside and see a sunrise/sunset or get some mid-day vitamin D. That being said, in my mind the swim portion of the IM plan can stay relatively unchanged until the if/when of IMFL cancellation happens, (I am in the 'camp.' Positive vibes!) at which point if its cancelled I can shift away from swimming and head into a more outseason style of training with focus solely on bike and run volume.

2021 is a question mark for most. I would like to take part in a race the team targets again. IMCHOO and the race prep camp was a ton of fun with everyone. So may wait and see what calls Coach P makes there.