Home General Training Discussions
Options

Forget Pulling Up on the Pedals?!

Saw this interesting video today posted by our very own @Brenda Ross to the FBLive page. What do you think?

https://www.facebook.com/112665855555813/posts/1575629495926101/?vh=e

Comments

• Options

So, "back in the day" I rode a set of PowerCranks in the out season for a few seasons. These things were supposed to train you to cycle more efficiently by improving your ability to pull up on the pedal stroke. They also made a lot of claims about benefits to running by using Power Cranks. These have been much-discussed (and much-derided) over on Slowtwitch, but my own personal experience was that I saw absolutely no benefit from them in either cycling or running.

The other thing to keep in mind is that in order to pull up on the pedal stroke you have to be pulling against something. That something is you where you're contacting the saddle, so pulling up consistently (or riding Power Cranks) has the added effect of exacerbating any saddle discomfort you may experience. In my case, they completely took the joy out of riding. That was the final straw for me, as I truly hated getting on the bike and riding the Power Cranks for more than an hour. So you can count me among the firm believers that pulling up on the pedal stroke is of no value, and actually rather uncomfortable if done properly for any length of time.

• Options

@John Katsoudas I remember a local triclub having the powercranks bike and asking everyone to use it at least once and I remember feeling the same way as you.

• Options

The most interesting point for me was zero correlation between great riders and great pedaling efficiency. I've never believed in cycling drills (not in our plans) and would VASTLY prefer you learn how to descend, turn, climb and ride in a group if we are going to talk cycling skills!

• Options

To me it's not about actively pulling up but having that mental cue helps develop a smoother pedal stroke. I think actively pulling up will make the hip flexors and hamstrings work/fatigue more. I only think about (not actively) pulling up when on long climbs. Otherwise it's all about applying force on the pedals.