Home General Training Discussions
Options

v02 running in week 1 of OS?

help me with 'why.' Not that I question these being where they are in the plan, and so early in the cycle ... it's just new to me that these would precede LT running in building a run.

rationale? intention?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Makes perfect sense to me going from least specific to most specific?

• Options
    edited March 1, 2020 3:16PM

thanks for biting. and I agree with specificity, but it seems to be a flip of the traditional progression from developing LT (and squeezing the general max 6 weeks out of that), then 'raising the roof' for more LT growth (and letting that ax out over 6 weeks) and rinsing and repeating with a last 6 weeks of LT with a new 'roof.'

again, just different. as a "Masters" athlete, it's definitely in line with Freil's thinking of v02 every week ... it's just a new take on periodizing.

• Options

@Dave Tallo interesting timing on this thread. I thought of you last week when I read this article by Koop. Its for ultrarunning but obviously applies to running. He is a big fan of vo2,threshold,tempo progression even for ultrarunners. In this article he talks about block training and definitely re defines what I thought blocks were and can be. I know you have been working to bring back your past run dominance and we have discussed doing different things to stimulate that moving forward. Anyway he describes one particular block of 2 hard sessions in a row, this is something I have never done, and havent seen in any running plans. Not everyone is a good candidate for such training but I believe you and I both may be. https://trainright.com/block-training-ultrarunning-ultramarathon/?utm_source=ctsnewsletter&utm_medium=email&inf_contact_key=670b4d4b36199a4949012adfeed61cbe7e470d92b8b75168d98a0b8cac0e9c09

BTW yesterday I finished what you and I started a few years ago, completing the 150 mile round trip from home to the top of Kitt and back :-)

• Options

@tim cronk - thanks for the reading - looking forward to digging into it tonight.     I promised I would not set foot on Hawaii* until I could run to a 3:35 on that course, so I am VERY much keeping an open mind and trying different things.    Really interesting that this comes out of the UR world, and one of your old posts on your early transition to running big has been a key ingredient for my thinking and implementation this season:  I'm not going a tick higher than maffetone efforts, but putting much more run mileage than ever.   So, from a periodization perspective, it's definitely "classic" in establishing wide and deep Ae base with greater training stress from lots of very very easy running … which is where the polarization of now bringing in v02 becomes interesting.    Conceptually, kinda like overlaying a upsidedown triangle over a rightsideup triangle.    

That's great work on Kitts.  I didn't know you were back to riding long, and that's a long day by anyone's standards. I've always thought Kitts is a harder ride than Lemmon, and I'm usually good-thank-you-very-much by the time I see the first observatory.    Then again, the solitude of most of that climb can't be found anywhere.  

• Options

Interesting article. Also definitely on point on his other application of “blocks” as dedicated multi week clusters that focus on forcing just one kind of adaptation via a single type of stimulus. Guess I’ll end out the winter as a vo2 runner!

• Options
    edited March 3, 2020 3:11PM

Just to stir the pot, Stephen Seiler presents some findings in Master athletes that V02 Max LT2 is hard to improve but LT1 can be held on to with training. When do you decide that Max V02 isn't helping but bordering on injury, or extended recovery that chews into training. @tim cronk I see you as an outlier.

• Options

Thanks @Sheila Leard . About to post elsewhere on this, but I enjoyed seeing bullet 1 ... particularly after I hit a max HR of 195 on my bike test tonight! (I’m 50 and haven’t seem that number on the bike in maybe 10-15 years)