Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Run Thread - Week 9

We had a lot of great conversation last week as most of the JOS team are digging deep into their OS schedule. I love all the feedback and commentary from the team, and most importantly the learning that goes on each week as everyone comments from their experience to help the team progress through the OS. So Inspiring!!

Hoping some or all of you got a chance to watch the US Olympic Marathon Trials on Saturday from not so hot Hotlanata, or just Atlanta, GA. The race was great, coverage was shotty IMO, but at least we got to see it live. A first time marathoner finished 2nd in the women's race, and a 43 year man finished 3rd in the men's race! Young and old proving that consistency is the key to great running!

Week 9 is pretty similar from a run perspective compared to last week, so we have a chance to build on consistency and durability in this back half of the OS.

Run Focus

• L1/2/3 will be running 5/5/6 times this week
  • Repeat miles on Wednesday for L2/3 and some 1/2 miles for L1
  • Weekend: you run both Sat and Sun, with Sat @ - 1:30 on the long run and Sun @ - 45 post the C&C ride

Bike Focus:

• L1/2/3 will be running 5/6/6 times this week
  • Repeat miles on Wednesday for L2/3 and some 1/2 miles for L1
  • Weekend: You run after the bike for 70-90 mins on Sunday, going up 5 mins for everyone this week

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Last week ended up with a little less running than planned. Middle of last week felt something starting to develop in my left knee. It is definitely some overuse from running those two long runs in the previous week and the higher intensity VO2 sessions on the bike. Dialed back the bike intensity just a little bit, dropped a run, reduced any runs I did to 3 to 3.5 miles, and removed any intensity in those runs. Knee is not perfect but getting better daily and feels almost normal today. Still ended up with 5 runs and 16 miles last week. Not a bad week all things considered. I feel like I caught it early and did what I needed to do to allow some recovery. Plan for this week is 5 or 6 runs at no more than 3 to 3.5 miles and no intensity. Just going to keep it simple and keep an eye on the knee.

• Options

@Bill Eckert Nice job keeping the training going.

I've been silent much of last week. Things just got off the rails, I was acting Director as my boss was out of town, my wife Patti went away with the girls for the weekend and my almost 3 year old got sick. I did have two windows to train but opted out as I committed to meeting friends for the one and by the time the 2nd rolled around Sunday I was not feeling that well.

Oh well that's life. Back to being a grunt this week but my kid is still home from daycare. Looking forward to getting in a short run once Patti comes home from work to kick off the week.

• Options

I didn't post at the end of last week, but I ran 85 min on Sunday... outside! It was 45 degrees here in Minneapolis and I took the opportunity to get off the treadmill. It was a little sloppy and icy in places, but well worth it. Ran the first part around TRP and pushed the back-half progressively faster, with the last mile at Z3/4.

Tuesday I did ~3 miles off the bike nice and easy.

Today I completed the 3 x 1 mile and like last week it was tough. I pushed the three intervals a little faster than what the workout stated.

• Options

It’s Thursday and I got a Durability 1.5mi in. Focus is hitting the six runs and 20mi/week this month as I build bike and swim volume to a competitive short course level by late April. A couple of local April half marathons are “community-based easy training runs.”

• Options

This week so far is not going quite as planned. Bike workouts are getting done. Added some short swim sessions in starting last week. Those are going good. It's the run. I moved runs that were after the Monday and Wednesday bike workouts. The knee is continuing to improve but just did not want to push it after those VO2 sessions on the bike. Did get a run in on the treadmill on Tuesday after my swim. Felt good. No pain. Going to get in a swim and run today. Planning on running the next four days but going to keep it to 3.5 miles or less. I should be good after the bike workouts on Friday and Saturday as I am taking out the higher intensity portions of those and doing more of an FTP type workout. Not too stressed about it. If I feel it I will do it and if not I won't. Better to have a shorter run week and continue healing and staying healthy rather than really injuring myself and totally derailing everything.

• Options

@Bill Eckert Good on you for prioritizing health. We're getting into the dangerous part of the OS as the fatigue and workload rises. As Coach P always says, be smart and don't run yourself into a wall.

I did a run yesterday but it wasn't a FTP workout. I too am nursing my way back to running health. I did the 3:1 run:walk protocol again and got in 4.8 miles. That's two miles further than last Wednesday's run. I did the run after biking home from work so I was warmed up really well by that. The old hamstring injury was letting me know it wasn't quite healed yet at the beginning, but that got better as the run progressed. Sometimes you just have to keep going to see if it's something to be concerned about or not. I'm glad that yesterday it was not.

• Options
    edited March 6, 2020 2:47AM

@Bill Eckert: Swim/Run bricks add up. You keep the frequency high and injury risk low... and the effort adds up to the 60-90 min of aerobic work. I find that my run warm-up time is reduced as well. Plus, one shower is an administrative advantage.

@Mark Maurer : I stuck to a 45’ Sweet Spot Bike today. The wall is looming, so I’m alternating bike and run days this week. Going to need to be OK modifying the “6 run/20mi” week that I posted above. No real injuries... just getting honest about my recovery needs. That’s why I am hesitant to try Run streaking. Keep up the steady Walk:Run progress, it really works.

• Options

Easy 35 min run today on the TM, getting ready for some weekend work.

I'll do a 60 min pilates class tonight to continue to work on the small, not-so-insignificant muscle groups...

• Options

@John Culberson those swim/run bricks definitely add up. I had.forgotten how much the swim takes out of me. All I wanted to do was sleep yesterday evening.

• Options

Got runs in yesterday and today. Yesterday on TM after swim and today outside after bike. Actually did 4x3' (2') yesterday. Just kept the intensity lower. Today was just steady at just a little faster than TRP. Knee continues to improve.

• Options

Still kicking around but not doing well as far as bike workouts. Sickness has rolled through out household and I held off so I though. I was getting in my 3rd run of the week, no bikes as I tried to sleep in, when I just shut it down and walked in the afternoon portion of my split run.

Looking to reset for next week.

• Options

I bought a new pair of shoes and did my run yesterday. I upped the run:walk ratio slightly to 3'30":1'. Most of the run intervals were at TRP or better. Ended up running the full 80 minutes and covered 8.25 miles with an average pace of 9:42 min/mile. Everything felt OK during the run, but I am a little sore today since this is the longest run I've done in a while. Susan and I were going to go gravel biking today, but it's still pretty cold and cloudy out so we've decided to can that. I'll get on the trainer later and have a good sweat fest.

We're in the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, and while there are no confirmed cases in our county, we're going under the assumption that it's here but just not confirmed. So we're being extra diligent about hand washing and keeping things clean, but I'm also making sure that I get enough rest. It's kinda hard to think that I'm now in a "high risk" category because I'm over 60, but I also don't want to take any unnecessary chances.

Stay safe and wash your hands.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2020 2:34AM

@Gordon Cherwoniak: I’m on my second cold of JOS... although its on it’s way out. The intensity of the OS helps patch through a down week. There’s still 5 weeks to go!

@Mark Maurer: Pretty impressive pace for a minute of walking every 4:30... you must be “walking with purpose!”

Completed my first 90’ run of the season on a very hilly course yesterday. I was able to increase my efforts over the back half, and particularly the last mile. Biggest issue was the “post-run coughing spell.”

Next week will be a lot of bike TSS with the EN vertical challenge. Finished the week off with my 5th run, a 4 miler descending to my fastest mile of 2020. I was pretty happy with my execution, but honestly, the Run Durability protocol has me running quite a bit slower than usual in mid-March. Next week I’m sticking a race number on and running an 8mi race to update my Vdot.

• Options

Great work in here team! As your run leader I feel miserable that I have not been leading by example with the run myself. I have been down and out with a respiratory illness almost all of Feb an now into March. Running is difficult so I have been increasing my biking to which seems to allow me some exercise without the coughing fits as long as I keep the intensity reasonable. Hoping to get back to some running this week.

• Options

I got a little over 10 miles in yesterday (outside!!!) during my 87 min run. I kept it nice and easy around TRP for the majority of the run, but I felt a little flat during the run. It could be due to the high winds, the ~4 hr Zwift session Saturday (Four Horseman course), or some combination of the two.

I pushed the last mile into Z3 and finished with some fast feet.

I'm going to delay the 5K test this week and look to do it next week in Maui where I can do it outside rather than on a treadmill.

Good luck this week with testing!