Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2019 Bike Week 9 - Honor your training self

the below text is a cut & paste from when I was OS captain 2 years ago. Hard to believe I find myself having bought 2 houses, 2 years apart and right after ski trips!

I've been heavily distracted by things like hip issues, work, ski trips & a new home purchase. If your life is anything like mine, you've not been as disciplined with your OS as we all could be. 

It is time to honor yourself with one week of as close to perfection as you can come. Work on getting in every workout. If you are like me, don't do the bike in the AM and say "oh, I'll do the run this evening." Because we both know that doesn't happen!

nail every interval. If you can't do it at 1.0 (and you aren't necessarily supposed to) then do it @ .95, just as the big shoe co in OR says, "just do it!" Next week you will know what is possible in training!

and lastly, if you have been reticent on punching in here, commenting on you training partners & displaying your accomplishments, find the extra 5 minutes, please

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I got the 6x3' done this morning at the prescribed watts. I am still a little tired from Sunday's long run outside and my legs were sluggish. HR climbed nicely on each. #5 and #6 were tough.

Quick 35' brick with some strides right after.

• Options

In the spirit of my post, I am in the words of @Shaughn Simmons - leading from the front... Moving all wkos up a day so I can get most of a week in b4 heading to VT. the good news in VT I am being thrashed by a mega uphill skier on Saturday with a full day of backcountry uphill!

last night I did the 6x3' VO2 intervals. While HR was never high (thanks to 12 days in Utah) legs were definitely pushed.. Run/swim today with 2x runs on the plan..

• Options

Also got the 6x3' done this morning at 1.15 IF. I think Tuesdays are a bit easier (or less painful) than Thursdays. HR jumped to 165 on the last two ones (170 is the highest i've seen on the bike) so that was a good workout.

I see several folks leaving JOS to focus on HIM plans. I was thinking i would finish JOS and then focus on 5 weeks HIM training for 70.3 Chattanooga (5/17). Am I missing something here?

• Options

Yup, that was hard! Today's wko lived up to its promise.

• Options

6x3@1.15 this morning. Actually felt relatively easy and HR was very low for me given the intensity. Thought about bumping up the watts, but still had the TRP run and a Vasa workout planned for later in the day and wanted to get in a quality long run tomorrow so stuck with the plan.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 3:31AM

Finished my 2K morning swim with 4x75/50/25 hard, broken with 10s RI and 1’ between sets. I was hanging over the side of the pool at the end. I recalled a similar ladder on the Sufferfest “There is No Try” video, and completed 1’/2’/3’/4’ and 4’/3’/2’/1’ all at 1’ RI and even had to do 8’ at IF .95 between the ladders. Each effort increased from 1.12 to 1.22. ERG gave me no choice but to “Do.” I need a bowl of ice cream.

• Options

Rode to work today so I was nice and warmed up when I got home. I got on the trainer and jumped into the 5x3. I hit all of them at IF 1.17. I went into the first interval at a cadence below 90 and it felt pretty hard and I was questioning if I would be able to do all 5 at 100%. I started revving up the cadence about 30 seconds before the other intervals and I hit all the rest at 100 RPM or above. That made it feel easier but my heart went up so I know I was working. I'm very pleased with the results.

• Options

I've used the Sufferfest 'A Very Dark Place' to do this workout for last few weeks. Only there's a lot less recovery. Despite that, I managed to hold 1.18 for all 6. Pretty wiped out as a result! Also have a bit of grumbling plantar fasciitis, so will put off the FTP run a day or two

• Options

today's menu was 5x30"@ 415 and 8x1' @ 365

3 intervals into the 1' segments, I thought for sure I would cramp up before the end< i didn't and that's a win! onward!

• Options

Lots of strong work going on in here.

Got in my Tuesday and Thursday ride on Monday and Wednesday. Those 3' intervals are definitely tough. Got through the 6 x 3' at 1.15. Thursday was tough too even with some lowered intensity. Got the 5 x 30" done at 1.4 and the 8 x 1' at 1.33. Keeping things dialed back a little to allow my knee to heal. It is improving daily. Glad that work is done.

• Options

Today's L3 workout was a bruiser. The 5x30" intervals were okay, the last four of the 8x1' intervals were challenging. The last 20-25 seconds of the last four had me squinting my eyes to get the work done.

I had an easy 1 mile brick off the bike

• Options

Agree with you Jeff. I was rushed so decided to cut the recovery intervals in half (1' instead of 2', 2' instead of 4') and lowered the intensity to 1.5 IF for the 30" and 1.45 for the 1'. My quads were in pain for the 1' intervals. i think that Thursday workouts are more difficult as it's the last day of a three day cycle with a hard run the day before. Now, I'm ready to enjoy a easy run day tomorrow.

• Options

I did the TrainerRoad version of L3. I barely finished some of the 1 minute intervals at 1.4 in prior weeks, but made it through them much more easily today despite the extra intervals. Still hurt, but finishing them wasn't in doubt and I probably could have done a few more. Bumped up the intensity and duration of yesterday's run so wasn't sure how this one would go, but I seemed to have recovered well.

Although it went well, I'm kind of glad to see this particular workout dropping off the schedule for a while!

• Options
    edited March 6, 2020 2:52AM

Really tired today. Loaded up one of the JOS Sweet Spot workouts and climbed nearly 2000’ in 45’ to the 2/3 mark for Tron Bike

• Options

@John Culberson nice work climbing. I just dont like to climb much because I feel like I am barely moving. Maybe that's because I am. I am still working on the Tron bike too.

• Options

Friday Freight Train is sooo much fun but sooo much work. Even with weight doping got dropped with about 3km to go. Finished up with another all time 60' power record of 221. Only 3 watts over 2 weeks ago but headed in the right direction.

• Options

@Bill Eckert : 50K meters is a lot of work. I’m considering the vertical gain challenge to drive up the numbers, but I can’t neglect my running.

• Options

I did the Four Horseman ride on Saturday with some other ENrs and had a ton of fun... but that ride is some work. 4 hrs 5 min, 220 TSS at a 0.73 IF.

Some of the riders are doing St George, so I did the 3, 12 min FTP intervals they had in their plan. Nice way to add in intensity to the long ride.

I plan to ramp test tomorrow to see what, if any, gains I've made the last four weeks! Good luck testing everyone!