Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

SPD Intervals

For those of you that have moved from the OS (stay strong January members!) to a 70.3 or Full training plan, how are you likely the new SPD pace zones and what zone are you using for the rests?

I have been running between TRP and Zone 2 for the rest interval but wanted to hear the thoughts and experiences of others.. Honestly not sure I could run the SPD intervals too much faster if I slowed down to a Zone 1 intensity for the rest interval. I also feel like its a bit more of a struggle to get going again if there is a large disparity between the ON and the OFF of a workout. I am doing these solely on a treadmill.

Comments

• Options

I just walk between intervals with the thinking that the most important thing being doing the work.

As to the SPD intervals themselves, I use WKO4 and have constructed run-equivalent charts and graphs by replacing the term "bikepower" with "runpower", and from the PDC for running, I target 95% of the max. For example for a 2 min duration 'SPD' interval, I look to see my 2 min maximum (230 watts), and therefore target 219 watts (95% of 230). Seems to work well.

The next week I look at my 3 min max etc.

• Options

@Jonathan Benson

I think the pace of your rest interval should be whatever it takes to recover well and be ready to hit the next interval as well as consistently hit target paces for all the ON intervals. If you're struggling to hit target paces, try going slower during the rest intervals to better recover. I've found that my rest interval pace increases as fitness increases. Meaning, initially I would walk all of the rest interval or walk half and slow run for half; after a couple weeks I'm able to do a slow run (Z1 plus 30-45") and a few weeks later I'm at a Z1 pace.