Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Bike Week 10 - Where is the FTP?

Okay, just getting this one started. I am sure Scott can add in some sort of motivational post when he has a chance.

Comments

• Options

Got the FTP test done today, VO2 test went from 278 last time to 305. FTP went from 237 to 252. VO2 as a percentage of FTP went from 1.17 to 1.21 so all of that VO2 work worked.

• Options

Great job @Bill Eckert! 15 watts is a nice gain!

I did the TrainerRoad 20 minute test again, which is pretty much the EN test except it has a 5 minute "clearing effort" with a target of 1.10 in place of the VO2 max test (but with only a 5 minute rest before the 20 minute effort instead of 10). I hadn't read the EN protocol closely enough so as a newbie, I've been mystified by the VO2 max test result people have been referring to in some of the bike threads until just figuring it out reading your post. :)

My ftp went up 10 watts from the last test. With so little work near threshold recently, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect on this one, but I'm very happy with that.

• Options

I'm liking what @Bill Eckert and @Mark McCombe wrote above. Looks like work works. Congratulations.

I didn't read the training plan for the week ahead of time and I wasn't mentally prepared for a FTP test today. I was scheduled to have minor surgery to remove a basal skin cancer on my nose so I did last weeks 5X3' Vo2 workout before going into the doctor's office. I hit all 5 at 1.17 and it didn't feel too taxing except for the last 30 seconds of the last one so perhaps there's a FTP boost in my near future. That test will have to wait a while since the surgeon told me no intensity for a few days because of the risk of bleeding. It was the first time I'd met him and he's a triathlete so he understands. He said I could be back in the pool in 8-9 days.

• Options

@Bill Eckert @Mark McCombe Great results, way to keep making progress! As I wrote in GroupMe, I had a disappointing test, resulting in no gain. I bumped FTP up 3% anyway and will see how future workouts go.

I'm going to do Week 11 Thursday workout tomorrow (next week I'll be in Hawaii), good opportunity to test out that 3% bump.

• Options

I completed next week's Thursday workout this morning, as I mentioned above. It was a bruiser. 5 x 8 min at FTP, with 2 min rest in between. It was a serious struggle, but I got through it. At 3:30 into the last interval, I had to stop and back pedal for 30 seconds, then completed the remainder of the interval.

My 3% SWAG increase seems about right.

• Options

I did a FTP ramp test today and my FTP bumped up 5 points to 226. Not a huge bump but one nonetheless.

Take care everyone. It's good to have an outlet where we can still do our thing without being in close contact with others. Keep working out, but don't overdo it and get to run down.

• Options

@Mark Maurer : 5 points on the second FTP test is really impressive. We have been at this for 10 weeks, with challenges along the way. Remember... the goal is to finish JOS ready to jump into a race-specific plan. Stay strong.

@Jeff Phillips is in Hawaii, but his JOS has been epic

@Bill Eckert @Mark McCombe 10w,15w gains, see above!

Personally, I been dealing with a lot of stress at work, and trying to get over my second JOS cold (not freakin’ COVID) likely due to refusing to back down my training stress. I took a week off swimming and threw running into maintenance. I am no longer going to try and run an April half-marathon, choosing to stay steady with my current Run Durability build. I figured I’d give the Tour of Watopia a try. I can assure you, the “Group Rides” provide some serious training stimulus. Both Stage 1 and 2 this week saw the group split by w/kg so the people around you are all working at your level. Of course, I had my ENX Jersey on, so I had to stay with the “attack” at 8K to go, and stay at the front, able to respond to the inevitable acceleration and eventual sprint to the finish. I won one and lost one (by a wheel). Great fun and two new FTP numbers. I actually started with the NOS group and so increases of 1-2w are hard to come by given my experience and age. I will be laying low at upper Zone 2 for a couple of longer climbs up Le Alpe this weekend. My goal at the start of JOS was to have a Tron Bike by Week 12, so I must stay steady. My prize is the finish line at Cozumel in November.

• Options

@John Culberson at 63 any bump is welcome, at least I'm not slowing down. Take care of yourself. As you know too much training stress lowers your immune system. Don't forget that the body doesn't differentiate between training stress and environmental stress. It's cumulative.

• Options

@John Culberson We decided to nix the trip to Hawaii (and my Haleakala attempt). Given the state of the world, it seemed to be the most responsible course of action. HI will always be there.

COVID hit close to home for me this week as a friend I ran IMWI with two years ago is in the hospital with the virus. Mid-30s, a tad overweight, but in seriously bad shape.

I did the 2.5 hr TrainerRoad bike workout yesterday and only got through it due to the Discord shenanigans. Motivation was low, but the chatter kept me going. Easy 1-mile brick after.

This morning I did the EN Cruise-n-Crush ride. I could feel the accumulated fatigue, but still happy with my effort. I'm going out for the 95 min long-run here in a bit.

Great test gains this week everybody! The light at the end of the OS tunnel is close...

• Options

@Jeff Phillips: I’m sorry to here about your friend. I also appreciate your sense of responsibility. I stayed steady for 2:00 today and accumulated 4900’ on the final day of the vertical challenge. I ended with about 9000’ for the week... which paled in comparison to some of our team EN elite. Overall, I hope to hold a steady TSB of -10-15 to keep my fatigue in check and immunity high. Future of swimming is unclear, but Zwift was made for social distancing. Ride On JOS.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips bummer across the board. Stay well and I hope your friend gets better.

I did a 2 hour cruise and crush ride yesterday racked up 132 TSS points for my efforts. Nothing to write home about except I was briefly riding with the extraordinary @Sheila Leard, that is until she left me in the dust.

Stay safe and keep on riding.