Home General Training Discussions

Event Cancellation / Postponement Thread [Video Guidance Added]

Comments

• @Tony Puckett that's exactly what I did today and a 45 minute run. I was going to IM Tulsa as well. I will just keep a reduced volume for now until I know where the race lands later this year.

• @Keith Shireman I moved the run to this morning, and will take Monday off. Rain in the forecast for Monday. What are your plans for postponed IM Tulsa?

• @Tony Puckett I'm looking at a 70.3 plan for the summer (IM 70.3 Lubbock or Muncie 70.3 both of which I've done before). Just something to keep my fitness that wont tax my body for now until a new date or deferment is offered. It's hard to schedule any race until we get the 'all clear' to proceed with racing around the country. Maybe a few sprint tri's to get things rolling.

• Ironman 70.3 Virginia was just postponed, no new date yet

• IM 70.3 CT was just postponed also with no new date yet.

That leaves 70.3's in Traverse City (August 30) and Memphis (October 3) on my schedule.

• IM 70.3 Chattanooga was postponed to August 23. I've done the full at the end of September twice and it was in the 90s and super steamy both times. I can't imagine how hot it will be in August. I'll probably defer to 2021. I don't have a final final decision yet.

Our other options are Atlantic City in September, Augusta in September, and IMNC in October.

Also, I don't have a strong desire to train to within six week of another event and have it moved again. I haven't seen any information about what the second wave of coronavirus might look like or predictions about what our fall might hold. I realize that the experts likely just don't know.

• Many FB event pages for IM events through June are showing "postponed" with no new dates.

It appears to be a standard script/message, with just the name of the event and the county involved changed.

• Yup. 70.3 Santa Rosa has one of those messages. It goes on to say that "The new 2020 event date, which is currently being finalized with local officials, will be communicated as soon as possible." I'm going to go out on a limb and say that finalizing a new triathlon race date is pretty low on the list of priorities for local officials right about now. I'm not holding my breath that this race happens this year.

• I got no email from Tulsa yet... but I know it's off....

• Chattanooga 70.3 is postponed to 8/23 (same day as IM Mt Tremblant).

5 options offered:

1. Remain in 2020 Sunbelt Bakery® IRONMAN 70.3 Chattanooga presented by McKee, A Family Bakery August 23, 2020

2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta: September 27, 2020

3. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina: October 17, 2020

4. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City: September 13, 2020

5. Free deferral to 2021 Sunbelt Bakery® IRONMAN 70.3 Chattanooga presented by McKee, A Family Bakery: May 23, 2021

• @Janyne Kizer i think we have until 4/9 to decide. I'm also leaning towards deferring to next year although i do like North Carolina 70.3. I raced it last October and really enjoyed it.

• Article in Tulsa World newspaper states that IM Tulsa will be held this year. Much speculation on FB about a November race date. That would mean the temps on race day would be much cooler than the last weekend in May, and there would be no tornado or thunderstorm risk.

• @Tony Puckett probably cooler yes, but there's still a risk of tornadoes and thunderstorms.

• Thunderbunny 50K in Athens, OH postponed from May 9 to Aug 29. I’m probably the only one here doing it, but I’m sad because I won’t be here in Ohio then. Lord willing and the creek don’t rise and the military lifts it Stop Movement order, I’ll be living in San Antonio by then. And if even better luck holds, I’ll be on a cruise in Alaska that weekend. The RD was actually offering refunds, but having helped to plan races before, I know they operate on a thin margin. I wrote him and told him I didn’t need a refund, but could I do it virtually and send him postage for my swag. He said Sure!

• I was supposed to be camping this weekend and doing a 65 mile gravel ride tomorrow. That was the plan but life happened (to paraphrase John Lennon) and here we are. But the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the plants are blooming so I'm going for a long bike ride outside today, pollen and all.

Hang in there folks. Have a cup of tea and put on some good music then get out there and get some fresh air (while social distancing of course).

• Received the Tulsa IM is deferred until May 2021 email today. Options are defer to next year or entry into one of these races: Wisconsin; Maryland; St. George; Chattanooga; or Florida at Panama City Beach. Anyone have any insights on these other races? Thanks.

• Sayonara CT 70.3! Gone forever...Given the list of options, struggle is to plan without knowing the outcome for other races...(IM Vitoria likely next on the chopping block...will opt for 2021 rather than later race in 2020) Staying hopeful for Penticton!

• IM Mt Tremblant to go

• Tremblant 70.3 2020 is officially "postponed" to June 27 2021 (i.e. 2020 is cancelled). More details below.

IMMT 2020 (full) has been "postponed", but no new date announced yet.

From the email re: 2020 70.3:

"All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Mont-Tremblant triathlon have will have their race registration automatically moved to the 2021 date, but we have also provided nine additional race options if you are unable to take part on June 27, 2021. All 10 options are listed below.

1. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Mont-Tremblant: June 27, 2021

2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Placid: Sept. 13, 2020

3. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City: Sept. 13, 2020

4. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta: Sept. 27, 2020

5. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina: Oct. 17, 2020

6. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Oceanside: Oct. 24, 2020

7. Free transfer to 2020 Visit Panama City IRONMAN 70.3 Gulf Coast: Nov. 7, 2020

8. Free transfer to 2020 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN 70.3 Texas: Nov. 22, 2020

9. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells La Quinta: Dec. 6, 2020

10. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Florida: Dec. 13, 2020

Immediately following this communication, you will receive an email from Active with a link to select your race option. If you would like to compete on June 27, 2021, no action is required at this time. If you choose to not remain in the new race date, you will have until May 6 at 11:59 p.m. ET to complete your new race selection in the provided Active link.

If you have additional questions, please contact monttremblant70.3@ironman.com.

Thank you for your commitment and we look forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience in the future as you continue to pursue your goals.

The 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Mont-Tremblant Team"

• "...the International Triathlon Union (ITU) announced Friday that the 2020 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final, originally scheduled for Aug. 17-23 in Edmonton, Alberta, will no longer take place in 2020 due to ongoing restrictions on gatherings of more than 15 people in the province of Alberta as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic."

This hits hard for me. Competing in a World Championship, at any distance, has always been special, even after competing in nineteen across Xterra, Ironman, and ITU long&short course.

Set against the unfolding tragedies around the world - loss of life, economic hardship and disruption - this, as Rick said in Casablanca - doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Still, it hurts...

• Wisconsin 70.3 officially postponed to September 13 (same day as Wisconsin Full). Similar to Al's post above, lot's of alternative race options to choose from

• 70.3 WC in New Zealand, gone!

Kia Ora Patricia,I hope this finds you and your `ohana healthy in these unprecedented times.

Based on the current New Zealand government policies and international border restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship cannot take place as planned on 28 - 29 November 2020.

This decision was made after careful consideration with our local partners and authorities to assess the feasibility of hosting the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship this November in accordance with the guidance on mass gatherings and border and travel restrictions, as well as athlete qualification opportunities and other issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic beyond our control. Based on the information we have to date, and to provide sufficient notice to our athletes and the community of Taupō, it is clear the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship cannot proceed as originally planned. 

We are continuing to work diligently with all stakeholders to secure a new race date for early 2021. Updates on a decision will be shared as soon as possible.

If you have additional questions, please contact worldchampionship70.3@ironman.com

Thank you for your understanding and patience through this process. Although these are challenging times, our team cannot wait to welcome you to New Zealand and deliver the exceptional IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship race experience you have earned.

Ngā Mihi, 

Diana Bertsch

• Dear Patricia,

(IM Canada, gone)

Based on the mandate from the Province of British Columbia in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRONMAN Canada - Penticton triathlon originally scheduled for August 30 cannot take place in 2020. We are working diligently on all potential options and further event updates will be communicated as soon as possible.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment but appreciate your patience while we work to confirm additional details.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered athletes are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have additional questions, please contact canada@ironman.com

hank you for your commitment and we look forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience in the future.

The IRONMAN Canada-Penticton Team

• One of my annual traditions is the Hotter than Hell weekend, the last weekend in August, in Wichita Falls TX. There is a MTB race on Friday, an endurance ride (20-100 miles) on Saturday, a new gravel grinder on Saturday night, and a trail half marathon & 10k on Sunday morning.

It's called hotter than hell, because basically, it usually is! It's august in North Texas!

Well, it's "virtual" this year, which basically means nobody is going to WF! 😥

• I just signed up for Wisconsin in September... was going to do Wacko Waco but couldn't get the computer to recognize the request to register...

@Scott Alexander I've done the Hotter than Hell but it was Temperate in Texas when I did it :)

• @Scott Alexander, I've done HNH100 a couple of times. I'm not exaggerating when I say it almost killed me one year- 2012. I was using it as a practice race for my IM. Well, I learned a lot. 1) HEED sucks. 2) Don't trust course nutrition. 3) Hydration is SUPER important!

I got dehydrated and almost passed out on the bike around mile 96. Somehow, there was a lady in a church parking lot giving out free bottles of water. I stopped and downed a bottle and laid in the shade for about 15 minutes and then was on my way. Had planned to go to medical for an IV, but realized my gut still worked and I was still vertical. 4 liters and 3 hours later, I finally peed a little.

I'll never forget that ride. I'm moving back to TX in August- I'll have to seek out some vindication next year!

• @Patricia Rosen it doesn't surprise me at all that you've done HH100! This would've been my 13th or 14th time going up to Wichita Falls, and this year I would've done all four events...the "Chupacabra"!!! haha

@Leslie Knight , where will you be moving to?

Just found out yesterday, that they cancelled the (rescheduled to 9/26) Triple Bypass as well. That was the last event before Nov that was still on the calendar for me.