Home General Training Discussions
Options

Share Your Training Tips and Hacks -- Coronavirus Edition

Folks, time to start building some community knowledge on how you are handling the challenges of training with COVID-19 lurking about.

I have created a PDF for you to download and use as a guide to modify your training, with a web version coming shortly.

Please contribute!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

TRX Pro Tip

If you have a TRX or a TRX alternative, this might be useful for the next few months.

---

We are making the TRX app FREE to everyone for 3 months ?

1. Go to TRXStart.com
    2. Create a profile and use the code YUPVKVHVRW
    3. Download the TRX App in the App Store or Google Play
    4. Use login information from the profile you created on TRXStart.com.

Meditation Pro Tip

Headspace is now offering a portion of their paid guided meditations for free. If you love meditation or have never tried it before, now is a great time to check it out. Please share this broadly with your team or department.

Follow this link (https://www.headspace.com/covid-19) to access their "weathering the storm" playlist to help get us through this trying time.

• Options

I’m using this as a time to experiment. I think. I can’t think think of another time I will be able to try something for a full season at no real cost, and if it hits, that’s the 2021 season for me. Might as well learn something during this crazy time.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2020 3:16PM

I bought a Terra Core before the whole Covid-19 outbreak, but I think it's even more handy now than ever since none of us can get to a gym. It's relatively inexpensive (you can get 15% off with promo code SHARKS) and doesn't take up a ton of space but I can do a lot of different exercises on it. It's been a great little addition to my pain cave.

https://www.terracorefitness.com

• Options

TRX is a good idea. I have one and have used it off and on, mostly for the core work after weekend training. After reading the Info on high volume/intensity training on one’s immune system at the link in Coach’s paper above, I will probably reduce some of the volume in my training, and add a rest day weekly or as needed.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2020 2:24PM

@Janyne Kizer : Thanks for the link. Most who execute an Ironman like a Ninja are likely feeling a lack of control right now. Meditation is something that I need right now.

I normally swim year-round, and the stretching /core strength benefits will need to be replaced. I have the exercises, just “never had time”... well now... Seems as if yoga would fit well with meditation. Actually, that sounds hard. I’ve been focusing on objective training measures (Power, Pace, HR) for 40 years. Its going to take WORK. Meditation will help me through the current situation, and has the potential to become a “new normal” that translates into a significant positive on race day.

I also need to back down on the caffeine. It’s not helping with meditation :-)

• Options

Team, our partners at Final Surge are trying to be creative and have come up with a virtual 5k event for the last week of March. It's free, and it's beta, they are looking for feedback. Hoping you can help out (if you like)...information is online here: https://log.finalsurge.com/virtualrace

• Options

Signed up for the virtual 5k and added it to the JOS Run thread for week 12. Hope we get everyone on board. Thanks @Coach Patrick !

• Options
    edited March 24, 2020 1:27AM

Signed up for the 5 k but won’t let me move it. Needs coach authority. Just do it whenever and drop the file on Saturday ?

• Options

FitBod App is offering FREE bodyweight wko sessions

LOADS of FREE yoga out there. I'm doing the 30 days with yogagirl.com - my local studio is also streaming. Gotta keep those legs loose!