Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS Run Thread - Week 12 (Virtual 5k race week!)

We are done with 11 weeks and for most the pandemic has affected all of us at work, home and in particular with this thread and the JOS our training. Luckily our coach and our partner Final Surge has an event for us to aim for at the end of this week. Best of all its FREE! yep, FREE! Follow this link to register and the Virtual 5k will be added to your training plan in Final Surge this week. https://log.finalsurge.com/virtualrace . Lets get all the JOS peeps to participate!

March 23rd - 29th, 2020

Here the rest of the OS plan this week: (move your 5k to where you want this week to fit your schedule):

Run Focus

• 5/6/7 are the number to remember for the # of times to run this week
  • Intensity: 1:45 Half marathon intervals - 10, 12 or 20 minute intervals at 10 seconds faster than z3
  • Note: A steady long occurs run during the week between 65-90 minutes

Bike Focus:

• 5/6/7 are the numbers to remember for # of times to run this week
  • Intensity: 1:15 Half marathon intervals - 12 or 15 minute intervals at 10 seconds faster than z3
  • Weekend: You run after the bike for 1:30 with TRP, z2 and z3 work

Note: for long runs remember to stop at the time or 13 miles whichever comes first.

Good luck with your training ans the virtual 5k!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

1 mile easy recovery run today, helped to get my legs feeling normal again. Finished last week with 7 runs for 33.7 miles.

• Options

Last week did not go quite as planned for running and it is okay. I had wanted to do 5 days at 3 miles each with some walking at the end of each day to add some time. I ended up doing 4 days at 3 miles with walking at the end. Walking was at a pretty good pace so definitely added some work. I did do a virtual 5K for World Down Syndrome Day. There is a family here in my town that has an annual 5K to help raise awareness and support for Down Syndrome. They had to make the race virtual and it was a success (#joggingformaxandjude). Signed up for the virtual 5K in FS this week. Most likely will not try to "race" it but will definitely get it done.

I have decided that I am okay with where I am at right now. At the start of this OS my focus was on increasing the bike FTP, building some durability with the run, and staying healthy. When I tried to add some longer runs in the middle of the OS, things got a little out of order. Now that I have gone back to consistent shorter runs with some frequency things are coming back together. I like that so I think that I will stay that course.

This week planning 5 runs again but will be happy with 4. Definitely going to continue walking at the end of the runs. Seems to help with recovery.

Hope everyone stays healthy during this time. Like I said in the bike thread... In the past, this stage of the OS often saw people dropping out to start IM training. With most races either postponed or cancelled this year, most of us are trying to finish out these last few weeks. I know there are a lot of distractions but let's all dig deep and get 'r done!

• Options

Great cause to support @Bill Eckert and way to figure out what works for you and sticking with it.

I just finished today's run, 80 min with the 3x12 min intervals (although interval #2 was 13 min, I couldn't do math at the time apparently).

I'm on week 2 of working from home and I've noticed a big difference in my workouts by being able to do them later in the morning, instead of at 4:30 am or 5 am when I had to get to work. I can sleep in another 60-90 min, check some work emails, and then get after it. I feel like I have more energy and it's easier to get started.

It's still pretty cool here in MN (low 40s this morning) and the cool temps help with a workout like today's. Dialing in power, pace, HR, and RPE now that I'm running outside more.

• Options

trying to really make this a good week! on top of yesterdays 4+ mi run, I did a 6 miler today on my ole bike path that used to be my daily run. good strong effort on the return up the 3% 1.5 mile grade while chasing another runner. Longest run in quite a while. Pace is definitly coming back on track

• Options
    edited March 27, 2020 10:36PM

Did the Thursday bike today. Not quite feeling my planned run right away. Waited a little while and decided to go for it but to make it easy. Walked out the door and saw the grass. Oh yeah, wife wants the grass cut but lawnmower is not working AND new back yard is kind of big. Well, let's go get some fresh gas and see if we can get he mower working. As I am starting to work on getting the mower started, wife comes out and says you are going to die trying to cut that yard. Me: Well I do have to run today. Wife: Oooh, I gotta video that.

So I emptied the old gas out of the tank and carburetor and put new gas in tank. Still no start. Took off air filter and poured gas in carburetor. It started. Oooh crap! Now I gotta make this look good.

Got it all done. Tracked it on my Garmin. I was surprised, the tracking actually looks pretty good. Ended up taking about 2 hours. Mostly because the grass was a little thick (high) and wet in places. I did actually jog a lot of it. She loved it (SAU) and I got some TSS in.

• Options

@Bill Eckert Classic triathlete tale. Wonder if Stryd would have captured the Power required to push a lawnmower through thick, wet grass 😂

Here in West Texas, I’ve got a John Deere... but have to push mower up some short, steep hills. During an IM build, I have often wondered how much work is going on, and how to incorporate “yard work” into my TSB ... and need for recovery. I think this may be a serious topic. In fact, I may experiment wearing my Stryd this weekend. Who would have thought: Spousal Units for training.

@scott dinhofer Glad to have you back at it. Love those descending mile splits

@Jeff Phillips just keeps backin’ up those great WKOs... machine!

Had a great week of frequency. Lots of stress at work (healthcare), but grateful for my fitness. Driving home in my disinfected truck, all I can think about is my WKO. A 3mi run is heaven... and by the sixth day of a mini-streak, I really notice that my legs take on a life-of-their-own. Sun and temps to 90 degrees this week. I love the heat. Screw you COVID.

• Options

Easy 40' TRP run today, 4.7 miles. Two bonuses: 1) first run in shorts !! and 2) my son rode his bike beside me and we had a great conversation in the sunshine.

Stay safe everyone!

• Options

After CnC today, I braved the snow and slush and got the 90 min run done. I was really tired after CnC and was doubtful on the run, but told myself to take it 15 min at a time and turn around if I don't feel it. Managed to get the first 45 min at TRP, then steadily increased throughout the run into Z2 and then Z3.

For the week, ended with 7 runs and 35.2 miles.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips Way to get it done.

Did a run outside today and I probably added a half mile just weaving to stay away from other people. 😀 On top of that my Garmin battery died about a mile out so I didn't get to record the last 1+ mile. OTOH, I had been doing 4:1 run:walk until then and I forgot to do that so I ran the last bit without slowing down to walk.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2020 12:25AM

@Jeff Phillips @Mark Maurer : Completing that Sunday run every week will be rewarded down the road... whenever that my be.

I finished off another 6-run-week with 4mi at TRP. Felt pretty good after a hard 25mi bike up the Volcano! Fri run was classified as “completed.” It wasn’t fast, it didn’t feel good, and left me feeling negative about my FS Virtual 5K on Sat am. It didn’t help that a cold 30mph wind was coming off the lake. I pushed the start button on my watch, and something about the word “race” changed everything. I eased into the first mile about 90s faster than the day before, and increased the effort a bit as I turned into the wind. Finished strong with a new 5K and 1mi record for 2020. This run durability stuff works.

• Options

Thanks everyone for posting here and keeping the run thread thriving. I did my virtual 5k Saturday and then ran again yesterday. With my illness in February into March and then this darn virus I admittedly had not been running much and just cycling as it was easier on the lungs and body. Feel like I am ready to get back on the pavement! My 5k virtual run was more tempo but I was still sore after :) Plan more runs this week and then a full OS reboot at the end of the official Jan OS.

Great running @scott dinhofer our fearless ski, I mean bike leader :)

Love the consistency of @Jeff Phillips and @Bill Eckert , and props Bill for the charity work - so needed these days

Nice work @Mark Maurer - I always tell my wife on weekends - the #1 rule of iPad is to keep them charged for the kids, so my #1 rule of triathlon is to always keep my gadgets charged :)

Thanks for your work in healthcare @John Culberson and I love the consistency with the run durability and congrats on the 2020 1 mile PR.

Speaking of PR with the nice weather this past weekend in VA I striped down my Quintanna Roo PR6 and cleaned up well - man it looks great now with new shoes and Garmin pedals - first ride with Vector3 yesterday - thumbs up - ride on and run on my fiends.

Will post this weeks plan later today.

• Options

... and beast mode running in snow and slush @Jeff Phillips