Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Chris Mitchell 2020 Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes [Click to Watch the Video]

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Virginia Blue Ridge (2020-06-07) #70.3VirginiaBR_20

Your Notes

I did Ironman lake placid in 2019 in addition to tinman tupper lake and other smaller races. Was slated to do the NYC half marathon in march and was aiming for 1:27 time. Ran a 70min 10 miler as a practice a month before, had some left in the tank that day. Been exclusively running since we recently moved but now have my bike trainer set up and restarting today, swimming is closed due to covid 19. 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on March 28, 2020

• On 3/23/2020 Load the    EN Half Minimalist, 12wks to end on 06/07/2020
  • On 6/8/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/21/2020</p>

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Chris, Welcome! Super cool have you with us. I'm here help you get setup and organized. I can explain your workout structure, show you where to find our race execution guidance, and how to connect with the rest of the team. I'm here to walk you through all of it.

Let me know what you are interested in, and I'll point you in the right direction. Our goal is to not only make you fitter, but smarter, and offer you the help and experience of our entire team to put together a race you race be proud of!

If any questions you have getting started - chat with me here or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

A few thoughts on getting setup and organized

First off, think of this as an opportunity to get fitter, smarter, and share your experience with the rest of the team. Coach Patrick has designed a Race Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them.

Here are a few things to do: 

#1 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

Here is how: 

Post a comment below or give me an emoji 👍️ and I will respond via email.

Once we know you are all set here. We can start to talk about the rest of your training!

I'll post a series of notes here to help you get started. You can also tell me what you are immediately interested in and I will point you in the right direction.

Let's get after it! 👊

Talk you you soon,

Matt

• Options

Thx Patrick for the video! Definitely a weird time and odd year, I am a hospital administrator so business is tough these days. That said people are doing incredible and inspirational work every day and hopefully in the near future this will subside. From a training perspective I am confident i will be able to get into the flow here pretty quick. The weekends are easier to get training in and I have the support at home to do so, only challenge for long rides is we just moved and i do not know the area well or safe routes unlike in NY Ed Croucher helped me with routes immensely. The weekdays are tougher as i work long hours however I can do it with the right planning. To answer your question my swim skill level is relatively low. I was able to swim prior however I never swam for time or distance prior to winter of 2018. For IMLP and Tinman Tupper Lake I hovered around ~47 mins for 1.2 mi, which I realize is not fast. I have swim bands, listened to the dry land swimming podcast for covid 19. Will adhere to that until we can get back in the water. Nonetheless, excited to get back into the plan and will remain optimistic the june race happens as planned. Thx for everything!!

• Options

@Chris Mitchell Thanks for the note. Wow. Being a hospital administrator is already such demanding work, this virus only makes it so much more demanding. Glad to hear you have the support at home. Once you take a look at the plan if you want to talk more about moving stuff around. If none of those times work for you please let me know and we can set up something that does. Send me times or days here and we'll knock it out.

P.S. Let me know you got this via email. With a GTG.

• Options
    Thx Matt, surely an interesting time to be in healthcare, just hoping everyone follows the guidance and we can “flatten” the curve.

Does vanilla communities have an app? I see that’s where the forums reside. This is how it is showing up... it doesn’t load like the computer no matter what I do even if I go to the menu. Can we plan to talk this weekend? I’m going to definitely shift any long rides to a weekend day, it sort of suggests the idea of shifting Friday’s to Sunday’s. From a schedule standpoint I can do any length of time on the weekend, and usually an hour or hour and half is doable during the week. The other side challenge I have is a wife pregnant with twins and a 4 year daughter at home because her school is closed due to covid. Anyways, no excuses, we will fit it all in :-D. I do better with more on my plate. [cid:30DB3808-B16D-47B6-B73F-78DDB9D59C93-L0-001]

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2020, at 9:48 AM, matt limbert wrote:

[Endurance Nation Community]

@Chris Mitchell Thanks for the note. Wow. Being a hospital administrator is already such demanding work, this virus only makes it so much more demanding. Glad to hear you have the support at home. Once you take a look at the plan if you want to talk more about moving stuff around. If none of those times work for you please let me know and we can set up something that does. Send me times or days here and we'll knock it out.

P.S. Let me know you got this via email. With a GTG.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2020 3:11PM

@Chris Mitchell The weekday rides are typically 1 to 1.5 hours for the HIM plans so those should fit in your schedule. I'll post a few more things for you take a look at. You definately live in Zone 5.😀💥 I love it!

This is weekend is great for our call too. Talk to you soon.

• Options

I didn't see that picture of the forum error page. I talked with the tech folks and their recommendation was to: Logout out of the site. Login from: www.endurancenation.us. Then try MENU -> Forums -> First Month.

P.S. Did you get this as an email?

I had the tech folks automatically subscribe you to save you some time. I'll post more when I hear from you. Good luck at today.

• Options

Typical EN Workout

• WU: 10' @ 60-65%/Zone 1/Easy 
    • MS: 3 x 12' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone 4/Hard
    • CD: 10' 60-65%/Zone 1/Easy

Explanation:

• WU = Warm Up
    • MS = Main Set. THIS is what we really care about.
    • CD = Cool Down
    • ' = minutes
    • " = seconds
    • (4') = this the rest interval (4' long, in Zone 1) between the work intervals (12' long)

Intensity (AKA - The "95-100%/Zone 4/Hard" jazz above)

Understand that every EN workout contains guidance for athletes training with heart rate, power (on the bike), pace (for the run), or nothing at all (using Rate of Perceived Exertion, or RPE). So, in the workout above, you'll see guidance for all 3 or 4 flavors of athletes.

Simply use the intensity guidance that applies to your situation (for example, heart rate athlete without power or pace) and ignore the rest:

• Z4 = Zone 4 = Heart Rate guidance, for heart rate athletes.
    • 95-100% = the Z4 of Power guidance, for power athletes. You are to ride at 95-100% of your Functional Threshold Power.
    • Hard = Rate of Perceived Exertion

****More definitions and explanation here:

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanQuickStartGuide.aspx

• Options

@Chris Mitchell Nice work yesterday on your run intervals. Your effort and heart rate increased across the entire workout just like we expect. Great execution and pacing! 👊You customized your zones too! How did it feel?

• Options

Thx Matt! The workout felt great...it was on the treadmill which made for easier control of the workout and i believe my garmin was slightly over stated in pace but only by 3-5 seconds. either way i felt good. Going to do dry land substitution for swim workout tonight and then will do an early am bike session which looks like it will be very challenging but excited nonetheless. The computer based functions are working great, will be even easier once i get the phone to load like this does!

This discussion has been closed.