Home General Training Discussions
Options

April 2020: Team Recipe Challenge (and Week One: Breakfast Thread)

UPDATE: You can download a PDF of all the recipes online here.

OK folks, time to get a little more detailed with our strategy for fun inside the Team. That's right, it's CHALLENGE TIME!

One of the ways that I cope with stress is by eating more. And I don't mean better. 🤣

What better excuse than to fast forward our challenge for healthy food to the month of April?

Each week I'll ask you to post your recipe for something you love to eat. Ideally it's easy to make, and healthy too!

Here are the recipe themes each week, so let's get to it

• Week 1 (3/30): Breakfast
  • Week 2 (4/6): Lunch
  • Week 3 (4/13): Snack
  • Week 4 (4/20): Dinner
  • Week 5: (4/27): Cheat Day

Comments

• Options

Coach P's Breakfast Protein Shake

In a blender, mix the following and then crush it. The combo of peanut butter and banana is too much for my feeble tastebuds. Love this one!

• 1 banana (preferably frozen)
    • Handful of ice
    • 1.5 to 2 cups of water
    • 2 tbs peanutbutter
    • Bonus: 1 scoop of protein powder.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2020 2:53PM

Okay, I love oatmeal which I eat every morning, but mine are Proatmeal.

40g of quick cooking oatmeal

12g powdered pb

15g of ground flax

cinnamon

1 scoop of chocolate vegan protein powder

water to mix

60g of frozen fruit (raspberries preferred, but blueberries or strawberries if not)

• Options

Oatmeal is my go-to breakfast as well:

40g Quaker oats

cinnamon ... plus dash of salt

2 Tblsp chia seeds

3/4 cup oat or almond milk

fresh fruit "of the day" cut up (apple, pear, blueberries, strawberries)

... and of course obligatory cup of coffee (french pressed, plus cinnamon)

• Options
    edited April 1, 2020 6:26PM

Apple overnight oats in a jar

2 servings

1 apple, diced

1 cup oats

1 cup milk, I use vanilla almond milk

Sweetener of choice

Cinnamon/pie spice to taste

Greek yogurt

2 pint jars with lids

• dice apple and put half into each jar, microwave until soft (50-65 seconds depending on size of apple)
    • top warm apples with 1/2 cup oats, sweetener and spices. Shake to mix
    • Let jar sit to cool for 10 minutes or so (if you add cold milk to a hot car, bad things can happen)
    • when jar has cooled slightly, gradually add 1/2 cup of milk to each jar. Stir contents, scraping down sides to make sure all the oats are at the bottom
    • top with Greek yogurt. if you are feeling fancy, you can top with raspberries as well. (Frozen berries are fine)
    • refrigerate overnight
  • Options

I'm like Janyne overnight oats / morning oats is my go-to and i tend to make the entire week up in a go. I have a base I start with and then do a few variations:

Base:

1/2 cup oats

1 tablespoon chia seeds

small scoop of sweetener

Fill each pint jar with these items close and shake to mix up. Determine what blend to add to each

Tropical

1 tablespoon shredded coconut

1/2 mango

1/2 medium banana

1/8 cup chopped pineapple

Almond milk

Add coconut, close lid and shake (normally do this when making the base for these). Add fruits, close lid shake until fruits are mixed in. Add almond milk to lower rim, let set as milk settles, top off to lower rim, close and shake.

Berry Blend

1/2 cup of berries frozen or fresh (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and blueberry typically)

2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt

Almond milk

Add yogurt, then berries.close lid and shake until incorporated. Add almond milk to lower rim, let set as milk settles, top off to lower rim, close and shake.

• Options

I rarely eat the same thing. It all depends on what my workout is. No matter what it's protein centered and then compliment with carbs.

Start with COFFEE and cream; always.

Smoothie - milk, whey isolate, banana, cacao powder, peanut butter. Sometimes add mixed frozen berries and oats.

or

Bowl of plain Greek Yogurt, chopped apple, maple syrup

or

2 eggs, avocado and two slices of whole grain bread or bagel

• Options

There are 2 things I try to eat every single morning except for race days , ground flaxseed and berries. 3 go to breakfasts that are rotated with no real rhyme or reason, but usually have 1 -3 of each weekly.

Smoothies- banana, blueberries, ginger root, turmeric root, flax, chia, hempseed, kale, broccoli stalks, plant based milk and water

Granola- Heather homemade, with lots of nuts and oats, cranberries , raisins , coconut... add blueberries, ground flax, and plant milk

Ezekiel Muffin - toasted, topped with nut butter , dates, ground flaxseed, add a side piece of fruit

Raceday or bigday options - more carbs, less fiber protein and fat, white bagel with pb/dates , pancakes, or oatmeal with raisins.

• Options

I eat the same thing for breakfast for weeks on end until I get tired of it. Current favorite is 3/4 cup of beans and a fruit. I train fasted, so this is after I train. I make them in the instant pot and a bag of dry beans makes about two weeks of beans for breakfast and lunch.

Put beans in pot and add a full bag of any kind of sturdy greens like kale or mustards or collards. Throw in chopped up veggies- whatever you have that needs used up- onions, carrots, tomatoes, celery, turnips... seriously. There is no wrong answer.

Throw in your favorite spices...garlic, parsley, oregano, thyme is an awesome combo. Can make more Cajun by using Tony Sachery’s. Go Maryland style with Old Bay. Go Asian with some coconut milk, curry powder, ginger.

Cover with water and cook for 40-70 min, depending on how soft you like your beans. I usually just google my bean type and “instant pot” to get an idea of recommended cook times.- I like mine soft, so I add ten minutes to whatever they say. Or cook in pot on stove. No need to soak beans ahead of time. Some say it decreases their gassiness and others say it eases digestion. But I don’t mind farting, so whatever...

Past breakfast kicks have included smoothies, oatmeal (try making a savory version with veggie broth instead of water, greens, and corn), and Boiled eggs/fruit.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2020 8:48PM

I normally have a peanut butter and jelly or almond butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast, but I start with homemade 100% whole wheat bread made with walnuts, dry milk, and vital gluten for an extra punch.

This just came out of the bread machine. 😁

• Options
    edited April 13, 2020 1:54PM

Week Two "Lunch" Recipes are now in this thread.

Week Three "Snack" Recipes are now in this thread.

• Options

In case you missed it, wanted to say thank you for contributing to this great project. One of my favorite parts about the team is how we share information and make each other smarter while also having a ton of fun. I think we can add "making sure we are all well fed" to the list now! 🤣 Here is the final PDF for you...

https://app.box.com/shared/static/k37i6dfii2da1nuo…

~ Coach P