Home Ultra Racing
Options

Injured and need you to say encouraging things to me!

BLUF: last long training run before my 50K and I tripped and bruised my knee really bad and had to stop at mile 3. Now I’m sad.

I’ve been training for my second 50K, which was supposed to be on May 8. But postponed till end of Aug due to Covid. Race director offered options for refund, delayed aug date, or next year. I won’t be in town that Aug weekend so I wrote to race director and told him I didn’t need a refund, but asked if I could do it virtually and pay for shipping to get my swag. He said Sure!

I’m actually tired of running (Ready for bike season!), so decided to do last long run of 26 miles today, then taper and race in two weeks. Two miles in, I tripped on one root and then came down hard with my right knee on another root. After lying in the trail in agony for about five minutes, it stopped hurting so much and so I tried to continue. No go. Pain was getting worse. I also had a tiny bit of discomfort in my quad and hip and my gait was altered slightly. I abandoned at about 3.5 miles and walked a half mile back to the car. Now home on ice and rest .

Here’s the debate and question- WWEND? If I’m healed enough for a 26 mile training run next weekend, do that and then my two week taper? Last weekend was low mileage. Or count the last two weeks as taper and do the full 50K next weekend? I’m leaning towards that so I can start biking again now that the weather is nice. If not up to a long run next weekend, then I’ll definitely just do a three week taper and do the 50K two weeks from now.

In my race report, I’ll talk about how my plan this go round of a high week followed by a low week (instead of three build weeks and a low week) worked out. Teaser- I liked it!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Tired of running, itching to bike? Ready to run 26 in training? I say heal up from that injury, count that as your taper, skip that last long run, and get the solo Thunderbunny done. Look forward to race report with training feedback!

• Options

I would agree with Tim, better to show up a little under trained and healthy then injured.

I am also coming off an injury, it sucks, but there is nothing you (or I can do). Rushing it will only set you back.

• Options
    I cant get into the forum to reply, but thank you.
    My knee is much better today and I think I should be gtg by Staurday.
    I'll take your and Patrick's advice and do my race this weekend.

thanks!
  • Options
    I cant get into the forum to reply, but thank you.My knee is much better
    today and I think I should be gtg by Saturday .I'll take your and Tim's
    advice and do my race this weekend.
    thanks!
  • Options

I did a four miler today with. No knee issue at all. Just felt sluggish from no run in several days. I’ll get my sharpness back and then it’s on!