Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Stuart Kibbe Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 08/07/2020 NYON TRIATHLON (Olympic distance)
  • 09/27/2020 IRONMAN 70.3 PORTUGAL - CASCAIS  

Your Notes

My sports profile

- I've been racing since age 20 (2000). I love the sport.

- Unfortunately, I typically do (only)) :( 1 race a year (due to budget and craziness of my schedule, and I HATE to rate not be on top form)

- Typically this is the Nyon triathlon. Did the sprint last year and got 34th overall. Its the largest triathlon in Switz.

- You can see my races here - https://www.datasport.com/en/mydssearch/(and type in my name)

- I have been wanting to race a 70.3 for the last 10 years and I dream of racing Kona.

- Finally hit age 40 last month and said screw it, and charged the credit card for the first available race in possibly the busiest year of my life.

- Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3712072

Best Results

- Sprint distance race: Nyon Triathlon 2019 in 1:10:xx https://www.datasport.com/live/ranking?racenr=21505&kat=93

- Olympic distance race: Zug Triathlon in 2:02:xx, and 2:08:xx

- Half marathon (2012)- Geneva Half marathon in 1:25:xx

- Marathon (only done one) - Gabarone Botswana - went through first half in 1:31 and finished in 3:44 ((walked the last 12km)

- 7.3k on a hilly course in 28:50 (2015)

- 8k in D1 college in 30:01

Current fitness

- Solid base (consistently running 40-60k per week for past 18mo)

- Had my strongest training season and best race result in 2019, so hope to continue the trend in 2020.

- Very well acquainted with quality over quantity and on the principle of speed and then adding distance.

- Into week 4 of my speed training (on the run) for 2020. (I wanted to start a month earlier but ... life happened.)

Run Context

- Am a student of Jack Daniels running formula.

Currently, my "R" workouts are sessions like 20x200m, 10x400m, and pyramids of 30,1m,2m,3m and back at <3:25/k page)

My "I" workouts are typically sessions like 5-6x1000m at 3:50/k

My 5k time right now is approx 19:xx. (I have a desire to get back into the mid/low 18s this year)

Cycling Context

- I have recently gotten back on the bike and am currently up to about 55k for my longest rides. Training for past races, I find the more SPECIFIC my training is to the course, the better I do, so last year for the sprint, I think I never did a ride over 40km, but did lots of hills and power work.

- I am v happy to ride indoors when its not nice out.

- Have just tested Zwift for first time this week.

Data

I train with a Garmin power vector power meter, a Garmin 735XT and ride a specialized shiv with Flo wheels. I use Garmin to track my training, and this syncs to strata and training peaks. I have free versions of these.

I log my sleep and my weight.

I am trying to log my basic food consumption 

Personal Context

- I am v busy running 2 businesses that are hit by Corona, so lots of stress at work and this reflects at home. :(

- Proud husband and father of 4 children (6-12).

- Training currently between 4-6hrs per week.

- Absolutely no swimming as its too time intensive. (My best 1500m was 22:30 back 15yrs ago)

- Training typically after work or late evening after kids are in bed / work is finished.

- Sleeping 6.75-7hrs per night, need 7h30-8h.

- Have a sedentary job behind a computer.

I can elaborate on anything if it helps!Please see my Strava profile or previous answer.

Typically training 4x week running and 2-3 x week biking. (circa 40-60k running and 50-100k biking so far)

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on April 13, 2020

• On 4/13/2020 Load the  -- 5k to end on 5/10/2020 27 [ 4 weeks ] 
  • On 5/11/2020 Load the    Short Course, 20wks to end on 8/7/2020  88 [ 8 weeks ] 
  • **Transition Early**
  • On 7/6/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 9/27/2020 83 [ 12 weeks ] 
  • On 9/28/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/11/2020 13 [ 2 weeks ] 
  • On 10/12/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/8/2020 27 [ 4 weeks ] 
  • On 11/9/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/6/2020 27 [ 4 weeks ] 

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• @Stuart Kibbe

Stuart, Again. Welcome! Super cool have you with us.

If any questions you have getting started - chat with me here or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Here are a few things to do: 

#1 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

How to subscribe video: 

Once we know you are all set here. We can start to talking about the rest of your training! Including incorporating those couple bike workouts that Coach Patrick was talking about.

Our short term goals are:

• Get subscribed to Coach Thread (and dialogue via email)
    • Establish consistency - find a repeatable workout pattern between (family, work, etc.)
    • Get connected to the Forums & GroupMe for community
    • Watch your nutrition video and set a goal to make the low hanging fruit changes now - next post

Let's get after it! 👊

Talk you you soon,

Matt

Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️ or a GTG and I will respond back via email.

• @Stuart Kibbe

#1 Body Composition

Here is Coach Patrick's video on Body Composition. Coach Patrick has an entire library of lessons and seminars on training and racing in the heat, fueling, taper etc. Check them out here. You can find them all from the Dashboard under Learning -> Coach Lessons.

#2 Customize your workouts Final Surge

When you are ready you can run a 5k time trial or race and use your average heart rate during the event to set you customized workout zones.  You can use that 5k time trial data to customize your workouts to your individual zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones.

#3 Confirm Connection

Reply via email, post a comment or give me an 😀, 👍️ or a GTG and I'll know you are all set with your Coach Thread.

• Fantasic - I have watched your video, Coach Patrick - thank you for the personal video! I am fully synced with FS and have inputted my zones. I think my biggest battle now will be body comp - so I will be studying your video on that this weekend. In terms of your comment about getting some biking in during these next 3 weeks, my thinking was to do some VO2 max work on Friday during those yoga days (I don't do yoga) and then some longer biking on the saturday perhaps with some FTP efforts? What do you think? I am happy to adjust to your instruction. (I had a lot of fun doing Jan Frodeno's Friday evening 60mn VO2 max workout tonight)

I will definitely max out this thread as necc - I just want to win.

Thanks again and speak soon hopefully. S

• @Stuart Kibbe Thanks for the note. You are off to a great start this week. 💥 Let's start with some VO2 max work or a Zwift race on Friday for a couple of weeks and see how you respond to the additional work. We can add a second bike of ABP on Saturday - but we would replace the Tempo run work for that bike. For now, lets stick with the single bike to replace the yoga like you said. Keep it fun, either Zwift race or Frodeno workout etc. We can write some up if you want, but this should be a flexible intensity bike day for you and focus on the run, along with the body composition.

Let us know what your body composition goal is. We can use this Coach Thread and set a day for a weekly check-in if you like to establish the early accountability. 👊

• @matt limbert tx for your message.

That sounds good. I will do that single VO2 max bike workout on Fridays, and forgo the Saturday bike for the next 3 weeks. One quick question: Core work. I see there are two very simple sessions, Monday and Friday. Our local club (that my kids are a part of) do a full 45mns of dry land and core work every time they train. (4x week) I KNOW my core is about a 2/10 and I understand from talking to other athletes that a strong core is critical to holding form in a longer race. Would it be worth helping me develop a strong core or shall I look at getting some other external help here? (I have offers, just want to know how you approach this)

Im going to listen to the body comp video now. I will answer after listening and considering!

@Brenda Ross to answer your questions:

Q: What will make you consider this season a success?

A: Going sub-5hrs in the 70.3 Portugal (not cramping on the run)

Q: What's your biggest limiter right now?

A: My weight (== my eating habits) (i think I am about 5-7kg heavier than my race weight)

• Also @matt limbert forgot to mention on the point of training session change, (ie adding bike / more core workout) will you / Patrick modify this or do I do this?)

• @Stuart Kibbe Core 4x week @45' a session is a lot of core. 💪

2x or 3x times week will be good enough - especially if you are following the guidance of going a tick below failure. This work combined with your running will give you plenty of work at a sustainable level. Here is the longer description and detail on the core work, also attached below as a .pdf. The real key to developing your core strength and making progress is documenting what you did each session and kicking it up a notch for each session. You will quickly learn where your weakness is: either cross-body stability or duration. I go old school here and use a sticky note and a pen. The first couple of times I need to write the exercises and reps or duration to remind me. After3-4 sessions, I'm a slow learner, I finally remember the pattern and I only need a reminder of what I did last time in reps or duration to get the progression that I am looking for. Once you have mastered these and still want more - we can go into more dynamic stuff and one leg balance etc. Those require a bit more strict attention and additional technique. These fundamental exercises done 2x week establish a good core strength you should see a difference in run posture - especially late in a tempo or long run when we start to feel the full body fatigue of running.

• edited April 19, 2020 7:07PM

thanks @matt limbert v helpful.

I have reviewed Patricks video on body comp. I really want to nail this goal, so I have revived my myfitnesspal account (hadnt used it since last year) and will be logging everything.

My profile: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/stuartkibbe

In terms of current state:

185lbs / 70 inches = 2.64

My first goal would be to hit 170lbs or (170 / 70 = 2.43)

I would be ELATED to get there. That would be my lowest weight since 2010.

Dont see how I could get leaner but maybe I just don't know because I have never tried.

I will look for low hanging fruit:

• no food after 8pm
    • 1 tsp sugar in a cup of tea (i usually drink 2-3 per day) instead of 2/3 tsp per cup
    • focus on nutrient dense vs calorie dense foods (ie much less processed sugar, bread etc)
    • remove fried things like tortilla chips (i love tex mex food...)
    • focus on calories in vs calories out
    • target 1lb per week (0.4/0.5kg per week)
    • Sleep my 7.5hrs minimum per night

I hope that 15lbs is a realistic goal given that I currently train 5-6hrs per week and am not losing any weight...

Also, on the point of core work, will review your comments tonight.

Thanks!

• Also, @matt limbert have tried to access the body comp wiki as referenced in Coach P's 25mn Body comp overview video and the link you sent for the core work and I get a notice to upgrade. I assume this is normal but given you provided me the link is there another way to access?

Many thanks

S

• @Stuart Kibbe The .pdf I attached is the same thing as the link so you are all set. I can't .pdf all of the other resources in the wiki (i.e. video by Jesse Kropelnicki and the nutritionists of the Core Diet and some other links), but I can share what Coach Rich was doing to actively track his calories in vs. out. See pdf attached below. Once you get this dialed in and have made some progress with the low hanging fruit, it would be time to pay attention to your Macros as calories across the day (Carbs, Fat, Protein, etc). I would not get carried away with macros until we clean up the low-hanging fruit.

This is a great list:

• no food after 8pm
    • 1 tsp sugar in a cup of tea (i usually drink 2-3 per day) instead of 2/3 tsp per cup
    • focus on nutrient dense vs calorie dense foods (ie much less processed sugar, bread etc)

We can try a couple things.

#1 We can make a workout in Final Surge everyday with these goals and you can make notes daily on how you are doing.

#2 We can plan to check an accountability check-in every Sunday (or you pick the day that works for your schedule). You can give us a short update on training, core, and most importantly how you are doing with your nutrition goals above. We can look for trends etc.

What do you think?

• @matt limbert thanks for your detailed reply - i didnt expect so much attention, and hope not to abuse of it. (thank you)

I have set my calorie counting up in myfitnesspal and propose I post my weekly performance in the thread instead of having a workout put into the calendar. I agree a weekly check-in is going to be helpful.

Will start to focus on my core work this week and a quick follow up to the Friday bike effort as a replacement to the yoga, should I be the one to change this or do you guys change the plan? I am happy to do it, just want to follow your protocol.

Have a great Monday!

• @Stuart Kibbe - You can do it. You can just ignore the yoga workout or delete it. Your call. When you do your Zwift workout it will post automatically. Hope you had great monday!

• @Stuart Kibbe Weekly check in update. Your workouts look great! Well done. How are you doing with:

• no food after 8pm

• Thanks Matt
    So far so good. Really appreciate your follow up!

*Accountability:*

* no food after 8pm *I am doing this although twice i ate a small amount
    around 815/830p (<100cal)*
    * 1 tsp sugar in a cup of tea (i usually drink 2-3 per day) instead of 2/3
    tsp per cup *(consistently doing this)*
    * focus on nutrient dense vs calorie dense foods (ie much less processed
    sugar, bread etc) *Consistently doing this; Have enjoyed lasagna, pasta and
    bread occasionally*
    * remove fried things like tortilla chips (i love tex mex food...) *No
    fried things except about 10 french fries yesterday for lunch. Looking for
    some alternatives, like puffed corn to eat with salsa. any ideas?*
    * focus on calories in vs calories out. *Tracking everything I eat. (even a
    basil leaf and salt) Not feeling hungry for the most part. Have energy to
    be with my kids and do my workouts. *
    [image: image.png]

* target 1lb per week (0.4/0.5kg per week)

*Weighing myself every morning after using the bathroom. Scale says -
    84.00kg last Monday morning*
    *- 82.80kg today*

* Sleep my 7.5hrs minimum per night - *Average of 7:46 this past week*

I see in my training last week that my 2 x 2400m threshold run was by far
    the hardest for me of the workouts. What does that say about my physiology,
    and where I should focus my efforts?

Have a great Monday!

Stuart
  • @Stuart Kibbe Well done across the board food, sleep, and workout execution. 💥 Let's stack another week just like this past one.

RE: 2x2400 being the hardest. Short answer is: Let's not make any broad generalizations just yet. The long answer is: The week before you did 2x 1600 and ended the workout thinking you could do more. This past week you were challenged by the 2x 2400m, and came back with a Frodeno intensity bike and a well executed 3x 10' with short recoveries. That is a good string of workouts for the week and I can see where it got tough during the 2nd 2400 interval. My take is that it was just the right amount of work. Its challenging, but you are recovering enough between sessions to stack quality days together. Let's knock out a couple more weeks just like it and look for some trends. This was a great opening week across the board.

PS Salsa. I like red, yellow, or green peppers and salsa (or hummus). They are filling, they have a crunch to them and its a single pepper - therefore when its gone its gone vs the endless bag of chip or crunchy things that I can easily mow through in a sitting.

• Tx for the encouragement Matt. Trying to execute this week, although ive had some v tough things happen in my home and as such, sleep hasn't been as long as Id like. Am continuing to lose weight and execute on the workouts. Now, need to figure out how to get my hr monitor working!!

Have a great Friday!

S

• @Stuart Kibbe Athletic progress. It's never a straight line, right? 😂 You are headed in the right direction - I'm interested to see what you think by the end of the week. Your fundamentals are good. Good luck with heart rate monitor!

• @Stuart Kibbe How did last week turn out? Its race week - do you have a course all picked out?

• Hey Matt

Really great to hear from you. Here we go with accountability for this past
    week:

* no food after 8pm *I am doing this but i did eat a fair amount twice this
    past week after 830pm (my personal discipline fail)*
    * 1 tsp sugar in a cup of tea (i usually drink 2-3 per day) instead of 2/3
    tsp per cup C*onsistently doing this*
    * focus on nutrient dense vs calorie dense foods (ie much less processed
    sugar, bread etc) *Maintaining this but not being radically religious. **
    Did have a big cheat day with my sons birthday so lets just say I ate a lot
    of brownie for 24 hours. *
    * remove fried things like tortilla chips *No fried things for the most
    part. *
    * focus on calories in vs calories out. *Still tracking everything I eat*

*Calories*

Phone died on Saturday night so no calorie counting on Sunday; I was
    probably a tad over target, but nothing crazy

*Weight*

Last week Monday 27 April - 82.8kg
    This week Tuesday 5 May - 81.8kg

*Sleep*

I have had a v difficult week personally and I am sleeping in my office at
    the moment. This is complicated family wise and my sleep time has suffered;
    I definitely feel it. I also made some poor choices (get marketing videos
    done instead of getting 7.5hrs sleep) from a health standpoint.

In terms of race course, I think I will do an out and back along the lake
    road where I train. It is as flat as you can get in Switzerland. The turn
    around is good because there is a small gas station so I have a little bit
    of space to circle around.

Matt, thanks again for your honest encouragement and accountability.

I guess my only question is how do you sustainably approach meal planning.
    I assume you have a job and kids, how do you do it?

Any tips would be amazing. Also, i am looking for "snacks" or smaller
    FILLING meals (eg 300 cal) in between main meals - any ideas?
    Nuts are SO caloric that I munch a few handfuls and I have eaten 400 cal.
    (which sucks cuz I still want them!)

All the best

S
  • @Stuart Kibbe Again, thanks for the update. I hope you have a more normal week this week. 😁 You continue to make solid progress. Week 3 and 4 are key to solidifying your new habits and you are well on your way. You have a sustainable approach. If you do bend your rules - the key is do it in moderation. Like you said nothing crazy. 81.8 Kg down from your start of 84 Kg.

RE: Meal Planning. We go in motivational spurts. I start with cookbooks with pictures. I need a picture to get motivated to put something together. When I have the urge to go brain dead and surf social media, I recognize that and flip through a cookbook with pictures. I keep a bunch of sticky notes and write the name of the thing that looks good to cook & the page number of cookbook. I look at the ingredients and make the list of the stuff week need. I make 2-3 things and that will last us a week-ish, depending on the thing, how much I made etc.

During the low motivation spurts, we kinda have our goto things that I can make either by memory or that are so simple that they require very little measuring (i.e. stir fries, or vegtables with a curry sauce etc) Chop the stuff up, heat it up, add the sauce. Done. My go to is usually a bean & vegetable bowel. It fits with the mexican only I ditch the cheese, sour cream, tortilla wrap (these are my nemesis) etc. Refried beans, whole black beans, pinto beans, tofu, quiona (super filling and a great carb / protein balance), vegetables chopped up. Done. Super easy. Roasted or microwave a sweet potato. Plain brocolli. Sometimes it just cook it and eat it. No fancy prep.

RE: Snacks. Apples is my goto. Enough natural sugar/carb for energy and fiber to make me feel full like I ate something. Oranges too. That is my goto if I'm looking for sweeter snack. Berries don't cut it for me. I can mow through a box of strawberries or blueberries and don't feel like I ate anything.

You are off to a great start. You can experiment with timing of different kinds of foods. I like to think of foods as sources. I need a combination of fat, protein, and fiber to feel full. When I get it wrong, I continue to eat until I find the thing that my body was looking for. The trick is getting to better understand the combination of foods. Those almonds are great as a handful - protein, good fats - but I would need some fiber with them to make me feel full or I would eat the whole bag! So, a handful of almonds and apple. Then stop, wait 20'. Let those servings get into my stomach and procress before I look for something else.

That was a lot of stuff. Think about which ones you want to tackle next. 2-3 weeks doing what you are doing now, then incorporate something from above that fits your lifestyle and schedule. Or just pay a bit more attention to the kinds of calories and their sources.

• Thanks Matt, I think had my sleep been better this week, I would have
    maintained negative splits from km 2 onwards. Hey, it's a start!

I have a question about next week. I have no swimming plans but I see it
    forms part of the training. Shall I replace this with bike rides? I want to
    get much stronger on the bike.

Hope you are well?!!

S
  • @Stuart Kibbe Impressive start. Add it to the momentum list! 👊 Make those swimming workouts dedicated core sessions. No need to add any more biking. There are already 3x FTP sessions across the week. Without the aerobic and energy cost of swimming, pour that extra effort into the three bike sessions. Its really all about the bike. Core and run are supporting efforts during this block. You will still do some run intervals, don't worry. If you have to chose where to focus and what to prioritize - its those 3x bike workouts.

• @Stuart Kibbe

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• @Stuart Kibbe How did it go last week? Nice work detailing your core work on Friday.

• Hi Matt

My apologies for coming back to you so late. I really appreciate the weekly
    check-ins!

I've had a fairly difficult time the past few weeks family wise and my
    training is a really good way to keep me focused on positive things as I
    navigate this "season".

Anyhow, the past week:
    Training wise, I am happy with the progress. I've been going to sleep v
    late and not sleeping enough) (related to home challenges) but I have not
    missed a key workout.

I notice that in losing those 2-3 kg, I am running faster, but I definitely
    feel that in doing the workouts, I am getting much more used to "hurting".
    Its good.

WEIGHT
    In terms of weight loss, I am still working to get down to / under 80kg.

I have been less disciplined this past week and it has shown! Although I am
    trying to measure same time every day, I think eating several times "late"
    at night hasn't helped at all... I think my eating needs to be more
    planned and I need to reduce my sugar intake. Those will be my next actions
    along with committing to no eating after 8p. Any other thoughts would be
    very welcomed!!

SLEEP
    In terms of sleep... not much to say except I need more!

NUTRITION
    In terms of calories, I have definitely noticed myself less disciplined,
    eating more sweet foods, and more empty calories. I am aware of this and
    will take concrete action to be more intentional about my eating.

For some reason (i think busy weekend w kids) I didn't track my calories
    Thursday, Friday or Saturday. I will keep at this is a good discipline.

TEAM
    Finally, I am excited to continue to participate with the team this month.

I really want to have a breakthrough in my running and lose some
    significant time in my 5ks, 10ks etc. My 19:40 seems v slow compared with
    what I believe I am capable of, although yes, I am training for a half
    ironman (which is postponed). What are the goals of the current plan I
    am on? I'd love some insight into that.

In terms of engaging with the team, I am struggling a bit with Groupme but
    maybe i just need to better understand the different groups available. The
    big group has a lot of chatter that I don't really understand or connect
    with!

Haved a great week!

S
  • @Stuart Kibbe - thanks for the checkin and the full update. This info is so critical for us to be more useful to you. Lots of notes for me in there, but in regards to you places to help:

• Better Food Choices - The candy / empty calories isn't great, but you gotta live. So, if you crave candy, have it right after a workout while your metabolism is high. Candy then is less bad for you than candy at 10pm with no workout anywhere close.
    • Evening Calories - We recommend replacing the bad PM calories with a good protein shake. Find good protein powder and put in water and ice. Blend. My fav is chocolate and I get my sweet fix and protein for my muscles!
    • Your Current Plan - This is designed to extend your run time at threshold. You were running fast, now we are running close to that fast, but for longer. By extending your time at that 5k effort we are safely challenging you and making room to go back and get faster in a few weeks.
    • Next Steps - This is a great question. Without your half on the calendar we have some options. On a macro level, I still want to continue with a build two more volume. That is where we build good fitness from year to year although I do realize this could be challenging given the situation at home and globally. If doing some form of a triathlon build and then pivoting to a run race is not interesting to you, we can move to more of a run focus program in the fall, hoping those events happen, and continue cycling in more of a maintenance format.

Let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

• @coachp

* Better Food Choices - thanks, i will apply
    * Evening Calories - I need to see what protein powder is available here in
    CH. Sounds like a great idea!!

* Your Current Plan - I am very happy with the current plan. I definitely
    feel stronger in both -- I just want to see my 6 mn miles threshold repeats
    become 5:45s... and then 5:30s... is this realistic at my age, when I was
    doing this when i was in college?

* Next Steps - I fully support your plan. I want to work with you so I can
    just "close my eyes" and follow what you say. (and provide feedback)

I'd like definitely to continue with the triathlon focus, because I am
    determined to go sub5 in my first 70.3 as a personal goal.
    Ultimately, I want to get very strong on my bike rides up to 90/100k
    including hills) so i can run "fresh" off the bike.
    If I can move my current 5k time from 19.40 to 18.00/18:30, in the process,
    I'd be super happy. (As in college I ran 17.45)

Looking forward to speaking next Tues.

S
  • @Stuart Kibbe - Great to catch up with you yesterday. Glad because a lot of times I didn't mean you had to be awake at 3 AM. I appreciate that the community aspect for you is challenging, but there's nothing to say we can't create some form of microcell in Europe that you could connect with on your own timeline. Some food for thought.

Let's work through my notes...

#1 goal sub 5 Portugal in November...or Mallorca course

Shooting for a specific time on a course we haven't done before can be really challenging. But it doesn't mean that it can't be done. The challenge here is making it work on a schedule that fits your constraints. As we discussed on the phone, volume makes a difference especially for someone in your position. But volume in and of itself is a challenge, so it's not the first tool that we can reach for.

I think the best way forward to complement your running games is to allow you to follow the current training program through June 21. Then the two weeks of June 22 and 29 are more cycling volume oriented. These aren't just killing yourself in the hills, these are just meant to be longer rides. Ideally you could get one medium and one long ride in a week for a total of four long rides. The long ride will be in the four hour range and the medium ride will be between two and 2 1/2 hours. All of these rides can be easy, conversational pace.

Essentially what we're doing is targeting your extensive endurance levels which we haven't tapped into the season. It would be a good complement to the shorter and higher intensity efforts that we have been focusing on this far. It will also help us bridge to the longer work associated with your race preparation and training plan to begin in early July.

Let me know what you think on that and I can modify those weeks.

What would vertical do to the run performance?

Without a doubt moving towards a hillier course would absolutely impact your bike split especially if you're not that good at descending. Hilly courses are challenging but they provide great opportunities for us as runners to be conservative and do serious damage to the competition later in the race. (insert evil face emoji here!)

Specially we allow the course itself to do damage the competition while you focus on writing is sustainably steady as possible. Having the bike fitness is nice to have here. While it doesn't separate you from the competition, and minimize the cost of that time on the bike and allows you to get to the business of running.

No specific formula for performance on the run coming off of the hill your bike. It's more a function of how will you place the bike that determines how you will run.

FTP currently is weak. 275 to 280 to get stronger.

Wow that number is low, it's all relative. My number is higher but I just have that much more time on you. I think that adding some volume will make a big difference to your strength, even if I won't raise that number. After the next four weeks, we are pretty much limited in terms of what your threshold power will turn out to be, although your fitness may prove that you can ride at a higher level of the threshold depending on how you adapt to the race prep plan.

Long-term, with a full winter ahead of us, we could target breaking 300. It would be awesome to have you in the 320 range at 4 W per kilo. That combined with your running ability would make up for a pretty devastating combination.

Future Camps

We will likely head back to Mallorca in April next year. That's not too bad of a job for you in anyway, and I will be sure to keep you in the loop once we confirm what things will look like. I will probably know more in early fall. Would be fantastic to meet you in person and put you on the bike while you push me on the run!

• @Stuart Kibbe

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year -- check the Athlete Roadmap. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN