Home WSM Admin

2020 Strategery for Le Team [Brainstorming]

WSMs! Hey there... I hope this post finds you healthy and safe wherever you are. I've been able to follow many of your social media and you appear to be doing OK. I hope that remains true. I wanted to reach out because I believe the unprecedented time that we are facing as an endurance community is going to continue in some manner for the rest of 2020.

Not to be a downer, just trying to be realistic and planning for it. And I would love your input. I believe that there will be an eating of restrictions but that there will be several cycles where we return to some form of a shelter in place standard until there's a vaccine. From what I can tell the data suggests that we will not ship heard immunity until 2022.

As a community built around events, this presents a pretty unique challenge. So I'm looking for your input as to how best to support our community and in sure that we continue to thrive despite these changes in the world. I have my ideas, of course, but I would love to hear from you all first before I open my big mouth.

I would appreciate it if you took a few minutes to jot down some ideas and help kickstart this discussion. Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• about to have a call with you about this very topic and how it applies to me. I have found myself continually going from dwindling fitness in the fall to uber fit by race day (with never enough weight loss) back to the fall and having a vicious cycle. This year the cycle was exacerbated by having some PRP injections in the late fall and having to recover from those with PT after not working out for 8 weeks.

I'd like to embark on a plan for total body fitness, overall strength, flexibility, aerobic capacity and use this time of no racing to build a tremendous fitness baseline on top of which to build ironman fitness in 2021.

I plan to reward myself by coming up with a bikepacking and possible fastpacking trip in Vermont this summer so that I can enjoy my fitness doing something epic and safe for these times.

• EN sponsored virtual events leveraging the Zwift platform may be an effective strategic move. The events could invite different teams and/or groups to compete against each other and offer training plans/advice leading up to those events.

• I start by thinking about what must be the underlying issue for you, "How do I keep the business intact?"

I don't know the details of your business model, but I guess there are two major groups of customers: less than 20% of us who have been with you for 3 years or more, and have come to highly value the community as the primary reason we remain, and a much larger group who arrive because they want to do, or do well at, an Ironman, and have heard EN can offer a lot of help there.

The majority of the first group will probably remain loyal, and continue to work at sustaining a community of endurance athletes, no matter what its specific focus is.

I really hate to think this, but I suspect that large gatherings of 5000+ athletes, family, volunteers, spectators, etc. - basically every IM and HIM, and many other major events - won't be happening until there's a vaccine. If in the next 2-4 weeks I'm proved wrong, then you just need a short-term strategy to stay afloat until your bread and butter are on the shelves again.

If those big events do proceed, it's pretty easy - just keep doing what you're doing, doubling down on disseminating creative ways to keep engaged with training when the goal keeps changing over the short (6 months or less) term; and adding more community activities via Zoom, forums, GroupMe, Zwift, FB.

If the year is canceled, and it remains unclear when our big-ticket goal races will return, then you should start offering new products.

This is the point you're probably at right now, and what you're asking help with, no?

In the spirit of brainstorming, here are a few (pick your metaphor) spitballs/spaghetti-on-the-wall/post-it notes:

• Endurance athletes and their desire/need to compete with others will not suddenly vanish. Competition already is taking on new forms: Zwift racing, IM VR races, on-line Backyard Ultras. People will need help figuring out how to train and strategically race such events. That's what you do.

• Open water swimming will become a much bigger thing if pools stay closed. Training in a lake or ocean must be different than a pool, there's much to teach and learn there. Ditto VASA.

• Develop EN specific events and activities, more than just a one-day challenge, but true competitions which can serve as a worthy goal for a 2-3 month training cycle, with commensurate recognition.

• Ramp up the Xterra and gravel focus. Those events will probably return before the HIMs, IMs, and marathons.

• Leverage us. E.g., new members get a virtual mentor - not a new idea, but now may be a good time to revive it.

• Zoom + Zwift - I think there's something there, a step beyond from discord, especially when it comes to races.

• A true EN Zwift race team, with training plans, DS for each race, protected riders, etc.

That's it for now; I've got to go to the gym, which is only three steps away!

• edited April 16, 2020 8:49PM

"How best to support our community and ensure that we continue to thrive despite the lack of races or events?"

Supporting the community means understanding what the community needs or filling a gap within the community. Continuing to thrive means continuing to adapt, grow, and be a little better today than yesterday.

Right now, the gap is the lack of races and events and uncertainty for the timing of future events. This new uncertainty can be a bit unsettling for athletes who have traditionally set a goal race, have a race date, get a plan, follow the plan, and execute the race. The direct approach would be that Endurance Nation provides some certainty or fills that gap putting events and races. The indirect approach would be that Endurance Nation inspires or motivates an athlete to find creative option to fill the race and event gap and provides some level of certainty with of a progressive and structured training plans, and connection to like minded athletes. The indirect approach requires some creative thinking about how to re-connect athletes with their why and what defines a fun event.

Indirect Approach: How to find creative options 

1. Understanding "why" athletes prepare for and complete or compete at these races in the first place
    2. Reconnecting with what athletes consider "fun"

These are a few of the things that come to mind.

-Training Journey and opportunity. I like to active and the ability to run, swim, bike, etc. Stay active, maintain a healthy lifestyle.

-Challenge. Looking for the thrill and sense of accomplishment of doing something that part of me didn't think I could do. It builds my confidence to do other things

-Competition. Comparing yourself against others doing the same thing.

-Progression. Learning more about a sport or myself my limits either mentally or physically

-Shared experience. The energy and vibe of joining friends or other new people interested in the same things as me

-Location. Just being outside and seeing new places.

I would shuffle this list and prioritize them differently when I talk about why I do any event. "Why" I do a Turkey Trot is different than "Why" I do the Boston Marathon.

So, what does that have to do with how to support the community despite the lack of races or events?

Maybe, its helping folks to think creatively and find those things like Scott mentioned (fast packing, hiking, etc) or just focusing on progression and improvement in a particular area. Whatever that thing is, it still requires a logical and structured approach for the preparation or maintenance of fitness to complete.

This doesn't mean we throw the whole season out and just start over. Not necessarily? This is about thinking creatively about planning fitness and doing things that are important to the athlete, while keeping the progression of the season in context. For example, I still think there might a chance of a fall BWR or bike race. Maybe? Should I do an backyard ultra right now? Should I do 2000 TSS now? Maybe? Maybe not? Considering those things is part of the creative process. 

The lessons learned from 2000 TSS or the backyard ulta could be really valuable. Podcasts and Facebook posts that highlight what some of our athletes have already like: Leslie Knight’s Thunder Bunny 50K, Rob Peters Alpe de Zwift everest, Peter Noyes COVIDman, Jenn Edwards methodical assualt on all Zwift routes. Those are all examples of creative goal setting that fit into the context of their improvement as an athlete and highlight options. We have a corner on the creative market and the ability to provide social connection and highlight acccomplishments.

Supporting the community now is helping folks put context to their fitness preparation, finding some creative ideas that "ring their bell" and keep them motivated. Races and events are easy and distract us right now from finding a creative answer to fill in the blank.

Winning in this space is about being creative with short or long term goals. The pessimists will say “This year is a wash.” The realists will say “Maybe, later in the year - lets wait and see.” The optimists are still waiting to here if Wisconsin 70.3 is going on 15 June. Nobody is right. No is wrong. We all deal with uncertainty differently. Each of these perspectives will lead to a set of short term and long term goals. Those goals will drive daily choices and behavior. Helping athletes think creatively and is how we can best support the community and thrive. 

If an athlete wants to wash the season and focus on something completely different. Backyard ultra, garage Ironman. Great let’s do it. If an athlete wants to hedge his/her bet and be ready for the potential fall race season. Great let’s do it. If they want to train for Wisconisn 70.3 15 June without a pool. Great let’s do it. We have Team of folks that can help you down the path that you chose. 

I concur with Al and like a lot of his practical ideas to drive engagement or at least think creatively about options that are available to athletes.

• Per our conversation earlier. I like ideas that support the community. @Al Truscott & @matt limbert both nail the issue that is not just affecting you, but others like you as we discussed. purple Patch, QT2, Potts racing etc..

-build events that don't just solve for x for EN athletes, but try to be a leader in reaching out to others in the community that are your competition. Solving the problem for the community while allowing for brand loyalty is a win/win for athletes and the coaches together. Whether it be a zwift race series or a virtual triathlon, everyone becomes a winner.

-on the micro issues of EN, as Al pointed out, people need a goal. Take the long term goal of building a better athlete for what is likely going to be the 2021 season. If you had that amount of time to focus on building the engine before putting race specific training (and volume) into the mix, how much stronger could we be as participants? is there an opportunity to convert athletes from higher priced 1:1 coaching models? Is there a way to support out of work athletes so they still feel part of this community?

Finding novel ways to support different ends of the spectrum will allow your business to hopefully do more than just "survive" these times, while helping the team members mentally thrive, and then allow your business to thrive when the new normal sets in and we can race again.

• Much of what has been floating thru my brain has just been said, but I will add a bit more.

On a macro level:

I think this is the perfect time to look at why would anyone want to join EN in the next year. When I first joined I did it for the coaching feedback and the collective body of knowledge that I could get from the team. But I came to EN with experience and the ability to self coach and tweak as needed. Many folks entering the sport come and go and are not interested in self-coaching but don't want to pay for a one-on-one coach.

I look at why Purple Patch, Tower 26 and even Base performance have been able to position themselves in the market. How does T26 get over 300 members on a Zwift Group workout after just a month of offering it? My observation is that people are intrigued with being around the Elite and Pros. I call it the Halo Effect. It creates an aura of greatness without any more or less substance than the other guy.

I know that Rich use to say that EN would not be about having an Elite Team. I don't know your business model, but I believe that there is an attraction to the age grouper when an Elite or Pro is on board. Purple Patch, Tower 26 and Base performance all rub elbows with the big names in the sport. That creates an an appeal for all those types that read Triathlete magazine. Look at the interest when you interviewed Dave Scott and Mark Allen.

Patrick - you are an elite athlete in your age group - but the masses out there do not know how great the Coach of EN is. 😎 I think it's time to create that Halo Effect. Create that auro of EN to the masses that don't know the difference. It's a bitter truth in marketing. When I was in sales with Baxter Healthcare we were told close the deal than quickly over deliver and you'll keep the customer.

Perhaps starting with podcasts that interview Pros from all sports and less FB posts that are about affirmations.

Last November I attended the Women's Outspoken Triathlon Summit in AZ. I observed so many women excited to meet the Pro women, such as Sarah True, Rachel McBride, Sara Gross and more. The ground swell of women in sport is growing. At the conference there were dozens of testimonials from women in how sport has changed their lives. USAT reported the Master Women numbers were growing faster than before, but not fast enough and we can do more.

Maybe it's time to offer a Women's Program. Don't advertise a three year development program. Capture the recreational athletes with a 6 month paid commitment. Bring in affiliate coaches.

On a micro level:

The forums are confusing to new folks. The conundrum is that self coached athletes want to be spoon fed. When a new person joins they are overwhelmed with what to do next. I know we started the Wiki Scrub. I'm not sure how to archive some good stuff from the old days. There is some valuable info in there.

Dashboard or website. Should be just one.

Final Surge Beta is getting better. When a new athlete picks an EN plan if they choose just Final Surge it should not come with an abundance of feedback. That is left for the EN plan members.

From now until 2021 - current members are being inundated with Virtual Racing. Validation of effort is what athletes need.

** From Al - • Develop EN specific events and activities, more than just a one-day challenge, but true competitions which can serve as a worthy goal for a 2-3 month training cycle, with commensurate recognition.

8 weeks is about the length of time people will stay engaged before something changes again.

• Hey Cool Kids,

I'm over here marinating quietly and surely something profound will come to me. I don't struggle with motivation without events on the calendar (see the last four years of my life) but I recognize that is very different for a lot of people. I do think there are several areas of opportunity @Coach Patrick we talked about these privately when Rich left, however it's always good to revisit through a new lens. The high points are similar to @Sheila Leard re: forums and the 1x coach model.

The question as written is "how to best support our community".... would it be a win to keep folks on board ON board? Are we looking to grow? What do we hear from people who leave? Maybe the goal is just to lose less? All of the above?

One more random thing: Mariah once sent out a question: What content would you like to see? I wished she'd asked "what connections would you like to see?" and my brainstorming would come from that direction: connection vs. content. The caveat being I don't know the business model or challenges behind the scenes re @Al Truscott comment and that may not support the end goal.

Still thinking.... in the interim.... I do love this team and these people. Y'all are stuck with me. #EN4Life!

• edited April 17, 2020 4:43AM

@Sheila Leard @Al Truscott @Jenn Edwards I like the idea of the events that are more than just a one day challenge. I was thinking of something like sequence of events or the repetition of a virtual event. By repeating the challenge the athlete has the opportunity to compare performances and execution between events. The comparison is completely internal (or me vs. me). By making it a group participation is a shared social connection that Jenn is talking about. Kinda like the Forums for OutSeason or Zwift Chat after any race 😂 - where those that are all focused on the same task (or were in the same race) are sharing the experience.

The repetition or repeatability of the event brings more focus on individual athlete improvement and the group dynamic brings the shared social experience and connection component of a group doing the same type of event that maybe Jenn is talking about. The focus on individual athlete improvement removes all the external things that can't and shouldn't worry about anyway (which course did my virtual competitors pick, their weather was different than mine, was there power meter calibrated, was their weight accurate - all the things that make virtual racing sketchy).

A sequence of virtual events gives the athlete the opportunity to focus on the things they can control and their own progression or improvement, which is really the point anyway. If i was super smart I would figure out how to incorporate these events in perspective of what I am trying to prepare for or improve on but are not so epic that they crush my overall training plan.

This sequence of events is the kind of creative option that emphasizes athlete progression while maintaining a social connection that I was trying to highlight above.

• I am loving this discussion - y'all are legitimate wicked smart.

To contrast, my inputs.

1. new runners are your new bread and butter. Running is the only fitness game in (my and most other big) towns, and there are countless numbers of new runners out there, with this being their only sport for the foreseeable future. Particularly spring, which will amplify this new running boom.
    2. I have another post drafted on this, but adjust service to products that are planning and training for the "18-month training cycle." iow, develop something that is a template / suite / repackage of existing assets that identifies a "Big Goal" in 2021, sets out the macro plan, and then stacks the subplans to get there. it's just a exercise in stretching people's notion of what 'a long buildup" is ... and considering that lots of people readily take on a training program that's 10months long, it isn't too much of a stretch to make that 16 or 18 months. (as well, there's so much fascinating stuff that you could do to really rebuild an athlete over two "annual" blocks, and saying something like "this is your 'Run Strength Limiter' 6-month block or whatever is definitely a way to do incredible stuff with the more seasoned athletes who want to try to have that one-in-a-lifetime breakthrough.
    3. Sorry, I think the Zwift and indoor riding space is already too crowded, but admittedly, that isn't my jam.

• Wow there is so much good stuff here.

For @Coach Patrick your pretty good at this triathlon game , but maybe your future is in politics? And I'm not even joking :-)

Focus, Challenge, Goal, Target - most of us need something to work towards.

This is a good time to focus on weakness or things we wouldn't normally do.

Strength- gyms are closed, many dont do strength anyway. Good place for challenges.

KOM, FKT, or just something the individual deems EPIC - This is limitless and local to those that can exercise outside. I have worked for over a month on KOM's before. FKT fastes known times can be researched and targeted. Just something EPIC and local.

EN Virtual Camp

EN Everest- set a date, build an 8 week plan, include a virtual camp in the plan, attack that day as a TEAM on Zwift/Discord.

FRC WORK

• what I'm hearing is it requires a complete recasting of "cool stuff*," as in the chestnut "We are a triathlon team that does cool stuff with our fitness." The cool stuff is gone. Or at least the cool stuff this is enough to sustain us to the next Big Marquee Event.

My own personal 2020 cool stuff is a 40k outdoor time trial under an hour. it will be solo, there will be no AWA check-in, but I will be every bit as tweaked in the buildup for this as I would at the biggest of big shows. That's going to be the only way I wil keep engaged with the team and sport in the interim. So the task is create something that maps out how members (1) create their own cool stuff, and (2) gives them the tools to backfill and map towards that. the rub is everyone's cool stuff will be different, and where @Tim Cronk will try to triple Everest Mt Lemmon on foot, another member might do something that reflects their own circumstances.

Also, this year is about sustaining. As I mentioned earlier, unless you can establish some product differentiation that will hook and then hold new runners (and particularly F 20-35 new runners, because that's what I observe to have grown 1000% in the last month), I am at a loss as to where/from whom new growth will come from.

*for literal accuracy, I think in the original sacred texts, "stuff" = "shit"

• edited April 18, 2020 11:40PM

Lots of good stuff here! No need to rehash all the ideas mentioned.

I’ve currently pivoted my training to a Zwift focus. I’ve spent the last year on Zwift riding the same flat courses around and around. I’m now trying to complete all 67 courses as an epic set of events. It’s really helped my motivation. If (when?) the EN France camp gets postponed until next year, I’m thinking about substituting in a long week of epic virtual rides. No final plans yet, but a big bike week on Zwift is a cool goal for me.

I like the idea above about having a set event regularly and have a plan to improve it. Maybe weekly rides up Alpe d’Huez, logged and talked about online. Training plans to improve.

I loved the recent Rob Peters podcast on Everesting and doing epic things. Really motivating. Can you build on that somehow? Maybe a plan for a half virtual Everest to start? I think a full one would intimidate most people - myself included!

Quick comment on the pro coaches. I used Purple Patch for a year or so and it was the worst coaching experience I’ve ever had. Matt loves to pontificate, tell cool stories and have age groupers foot the bill so he can spend all his time working with the pros. I’d get pdf training plans that I knew weren’t modified for me, he never read comments I’d put in TrainingPeaks. He would say stupid things in his newsletter that I would call him on and I never got satisfactory answers. You sign up for these guys hoping they spend as much time on you as they do the pros, and you realize pretty quickly you are there to pay the bills :)

Let me know how I can help!

• edited April 19, 2020 12:42AM

Lots of great advice above. For me, the biggest wrench thrown into my season has been the loss of swimming. I had built to a career high of a 6000 yard one session workout just before they pulled the drain plug. But I'm optimistic that small, short course triathlons and other events will come back this summer and that a good number of larger events will take place this fall.

Assuming that's not true should there be a "reverse-EN" approach to get back to a high volume, Z2 foundation until it's clear that races are back? If so, maybe you need a COVID plan that works on the bike, run (and strength) as an off-off-season (e.g. getting on that volume elephant), then moves into a regular high intensity off-season block as athletes see that races are coming back. And maybe there needs to be a "cram plan" for the people who might be encouraged to over race when they find their spring and fall races slamming into each other if the fall restart does happen. I could see the need for some strong encouragement to get folks to drop a few events from an overcrowded schedule.

Meanwhile, I'm banging away on Rouvy hoping to reach "Legend" status before they reset everyone back to "Starter" on 1 Oct. I'm currently National Class working on World Class. Legend follows that. I've never gotten this far because the requirements interfere with other training plans, but now that I have a clean slate, I would like to reach that level just once. And when the pool opens, yee-ha, I am still hopeful I can make it to St Croix in November for a 5 mile OWS. #CoolStuff

• This is really great stuff all, thank you. The weakness of Endurance Nation's model is Chloe and her dependence upon external events which we do not control. I agree that this is an opportunity to refocus the majority of our athletes on short and long-term objectives that benefit them overall. The challenge will be keeping the excitement, motivation, and natural ebb and flow that follow a traditional season.

I am working on a few projects, but should anything arise that you believe Warren's hours for teaching attention please don't hesitate to bring it up. Your leadership is important to the team but it's also a valuable resource to our business. Thanks again!

• @Coach Patrick - " ... that follow a traditional season." That's the rub right there. Get people to think about their season as more than the equivalent of one full calendar year and trip around the sun. It's kinda like the epiphany that retirees have when they realize "I don't have to follow a 7-day-a-week training week" as the standard cycle, and can all of a sudden build their own cycle that has an extra day for recovery, doesn't put their long stuff on a Saturday & Sunday, or whatever. It's about redefining the training cycle based on the natural riddims that have been dealt to us by Chloe.

• @Dave Tallo As @Coach Patrick knows, I used a long-range plan starting back in 2016, when I determined to qualify that fall for the ITU LC WC in Penticton in 2017. As that year evolved, I realised that gearing up for an age-up year (2019) would be a wise idea. I incorporated shorter high-end races thru USAT and ITU during 2017/8, and got ready for a 12-month cycle which included 4 IMs and one ITU LC WC. I wasn't as completely successful as I had hoped starting out, but that was probably due to some last minute date changes and ongoing deterioration or at least delayed healing of the cartilege in my R knee. Point is, getting ready for a Really Big Year IMO takes at least 2 years of preparation in advance, cycled properly with allowances for rest, recovery, and single-sport improvement. Someone aging-up in 2022 might see this current lull in competition as a golden opportunity to get really ready.