Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

smoothing out pedal stroke

Hey all,

Wondering if there is a resource or drill to improve the pedal stroke. It seems like one side is more dominant than the other. Looking for something to equalize and smooth out both sides while riding zwift.

Thanks,

e

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@erict

WSMs may have a different view, but IMO I would just concentrate on pushing up your VO2 max and FTP.

From time to time, EN has prescribed one legged drills. I did them for a couple of seasons, but didn't think they made any significant contribution to my cycling strength.

• Options

@Peter Greagg agree. Smooth pedal stroke has not been shown to have a relationship to making a bicycle go faster down a road. More power has.

• Options

@erict I have this problem, mostly due to R knee injury. My R quad is noticeably (to me at least) smaller and weaker than the L. My pedal dynamics on both Power Tap and Garmin Vector pedals show anywhere from 53/47 to 56/44 L/R over the past 2 years. Two different pedal sets, so I know it's not just a calibration error in one of them. Earlier this year, I concentrated during Zwift on working the R leg, to the point where it felt the left was just along for the ride. Even then, I could barely get 50/50. When I stop thinking about it, the imbalance creeps back in.

Unless you are new to structured training, my advice is to simply pay attention ONLY to what your perceived/documented weaker leg is doing. If you have a L/R balance display option on your head unit, keep looking at that, and try to correlate the kinesthetic feedback you get from your body with the numbers you see on the display. Do that for 4-6 weeks, and see if you can build a habit of working each side "equally". Even after that time, you may feel as if the weak side is working harder, but at least you have become balanced.

Also, if not already doing this, you might benefit from some weight room work. Squats and single leg extensions. Also single leg knee bends if you can't get to the gym. I am able to do squats with dumbbells, single leg knee bends, and single leg extensions with ankle weights at home now. Also, look into Blood Flow Restriction therapy to build strength in the weaker leg without over-stressing it: https://bstrong.training/