Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Caesar Cepeda Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Lubbocki (2020-06-28) #70.3Lubbock_20
  • IM Hawaii 10-10-20

Your Notes

Hello, I have raced an Ironman distance Tri for the past 4 years in a row. I have done a total of 13 races starting back in the mid 90’s. I took a break for a few years in between. I currently run about 4 days a week, ride 3 days a week, use a vasa trainer 3-4 days a week. I also CrossFit 3-4 days a week.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on April 20, 2020

• On 4/20/2020 Load the Beginner Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 6/28/2020
  • **Transition Early**
  • On 6/22/2020 Load the -- EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 7/19/2020
  • On 7/20/2020 Load the -- EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 10/11/2020
  • On 10/12/2020 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/8/2020
  • On 10/26/2020 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/22/2020
  • On 11/23/2020 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/20/2020
  • On 12/21/2020 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/17/2021

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Caesar, It's cool have you and your wife with us. 😀 Lubbock and HI. HI has a great swim! My training partner did it last year and really enjoyed it. September is fantastic there. Heck, its Hawaii it is fantastic all the time! We see that you have already connected your Polar and Strava to Final Surge. Nice work on the bike power test! It will be nice to have a baseline and watch your proOnce we know you are all set here. We can start to talking about bike setup, power meter, shoes, racing etc. This is place where you post all those pictures and comments Coach Patrick was talking about.

Our short term goals are:

• Get subscribed to Coach Thread (and dialogue via email)
    • Start using the Final Surge app (if you haven't already)
    • Establish consistency - find a repeatable workout pattern between (family, work, etc.)
    • Get connected to the our Team and GroupMe community
    • See the big picture and explore the site & forums

Let's get after it! 👊

Talk you you soon,

Matt

******* Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️, or huh?, 😨 and I will respond back via email.

If any questions you have getting started - schedule a call with me here.

------------------

#1 Respond below

Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️ or a GTG and I will respond back via email. Let's get the conversation started!

#2 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, updates and its always here for your reference. Drop us an update once a week or once a month. We can talk anytime about how to get the most out of your training and make you smarter and connected to the rest of the Team.

How to subscribe video: 

#3 Consider downloading the Final Surge App

You are already making great comments. This makes it way easier.

Download Final Surge | Mobile Apps Here

#4 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

Since you have already done the bike test. We will use your power during the test to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.  We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too!

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones. 

#5 Connect with the rest of the team in Join our GroupMe chat

GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat. Your new friends are waiting for you.

Download the GroupMe is an app and see what the Team is talking about. Pro tip: You can subscribe to these channels and mute the alerts. There is a lot of activity here and the alerts can get overwhelming. 😂

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#6 See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race Forum for race plans and race reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Read the General Training Discussions and get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans.

Learn how to race like veteran. Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance.

#7 Whew. You made it.

You don't have to do it all a once but, we would love it if you responded below. I'm here talk you through all of the above. I would love to hear from you.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator
  • Options

ok got your email while we are on the phone

• Options
    reply via email

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM Caesar Cepeda <
    teamenforums+d26603-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Caesar Cepeda commented on Caesar Cepeda Official Coach Thread
    >
    > ok got your email while we are on the phone
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/284865#Comment_284865
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

Hello Patrick and Matt,

Thank you for the video Patrick and the time yesterday Matt.

Here is more clarification of my training up to now: I have been training to also do the Santa Rosa IM (although not as many hours per week as Lauren). For the past 4 weeks I have been putting in at least 8 hours a week of biking and running. Some vasa training and CrossFit 3 days a week.

For the Run and Bike: We have been doing 2 hour long sessions of running and 3-4 hour long sessions of biking for some time now. We keep the power at zone 2 most of the time and in the past moved up to zone 3-4 about 12 weeks before the race. So running at your TRP ( if I have that right) puts me in the middle to upper end of my zone two. This is where I have no problem being, run or bike, for many hours. We have our nutrition down fairly well for this time frame also. I am following Power, with an eye on Hear rate, since for many many years it was just heart rate, so it's fun to see where that goes. What I don't have right now is that upper speed like the 1 mile run and 1/2 mile run at zone 4 on the schedule yesterday--that was tough, but doable.

Vasa training: Our Vasa is an older model and we don't have the "erg" component to it for distance/speed. We can guess on this going forward, or go on time.

CrossFit: We have owned our CrossFit for 12 years, one of the first ones! We originally nicknamed it "the Energy Lab", now it's been shortened to "the Lab". There are benefits to having a key to the place! So sessions at the gym, don't have to be only high intensity. I can go in and make the session strength if you prefer. I won't mix a higher intensity session you program with a high intensity CrossFit workout on the same day.

I have 25 weeks to Kona. I want to race that strong, stronger than any of my previous races. I'd like to use the time very effectively, so I'm all in, bring it! As we say at the Lab, "Lets Play" !!

Thank you,

Caesar

• Options

@Caesar Cepeda Thanks for the update! 👊 We want to continue to build on the nice work that you have done so far in preparation for IM Santa Rosa. 8 hours a week of biking, including 3-4 hour rides and some 2 hour runs is quality work and right where you need to be right now. It is also good to hear that you are comfortable with the fueling and hydration during those longer efforts. We have a lot of good fundamentals to build on. Nice! We can adjust the training blocks between now and June 22 to incorporate that level of fitness and we still have some time to do a bit of higher intensity on the bike before we shift to more race specific efforts and volume. We have some options in mind to do some good work on the bike (putting that power meter to use 😂) and continue to run for durability and endurance.

We do need to clear up your race schedule.

You mentioned that you were training for IM Santa Rosa and potentially switching to a 70.3 instead in preparation for HI. We like the idea of the 70.3 along the way. We can take that race in stride of your current build without impacting it too much. If you are still interested in doing IM Santa Rosa with Lauren, then would need to match your training up with hers. The drawback is that it usually takes 2-4 weeks to recover from the race effort.

Are you planning on a 70.3 or Santa Rosa? If you are doing a 70.3, what did you have in mind?

• Options
    Hi Matt,
    I was already signed up for Santa Rosa then got the option for Kona. To comply with the rules I just need to race a full IM or a half. The switch to Lubbock was to not race a full and just get that required race checked off.
    To clarify, weekly training totals 8+ hours of everything.

Hope this helps.
    Caesar
  • Options

@Caesar Cepeda Got it 8 hours total. 👍️ And Lubbock is your required race to check off before before Kona. We'll huddle and get back to you.

• Options

@Caesar Cepeda Thanks for the notes. We talked over the options and want to build on the work you have done. Being so fit already, we think you can jump into week four of our Half Ironman Bike Focused plan. We modified the swim for VASA until 1 June. By then either the pools will be open or we will know more on the status of Lubbock 70.3. If we need more or less VASA we can figure that out. If Lubbock doesn't go, we will adjust your plan and start a progression of IM volume. A typical Kona IM volume block starting 12-14 weeks out, is mid-June to early July. If you need to shift to a backup race later in the summer to validate, we will do it in stride with your training and the early start of volume will let us modify the weeks leading up to and after the 70.3 race.

The bike workouts are in Trainer Road. You have an Trainer Road invite from Brenda and should be able to search for "2020 Half Bike." All the HIM Bike Focused workouts start that way.

Let us know what you think. Let's get to work.

• Options

@Caesar Cepeda

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Caesar Cepeda Thanks for filling out our survey and the kind compliments. Drop us a note here and update us on your training goals if you want. We can switch up your training if you are interested to adjust to your new Kona timeline! Talk to you soon.