Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

TRI Spoke vs Deep Rim....

Hi All, just a question to those who have had both. I am currently on a set of HEAD tri-spoke 650c, clincher, rim brake wheels. I love them and love how they handle, love their speed but with a few blustery crosswinds it can get a bit trIcky. I have ridden them for years in all sorts of IM FULL races. I am graduating up to a new bike that is in need of 700c clincher, rim brake. With the new cassette of SRAM 12 speed 1x, and an XDR free hub, plus a flat top chain, I need to consider a new set of wheels! I understand this is a personal and skill based decision to make but would entertain your responses. My Track GODS feel Tri spoke is the only option but cost does matter too. and I do not want to ride a tubular during a race. Spoke with HEAD they say old REAR tri spoke will not accommodate the XDR free hub but a new 60mm front deep rim combo with a 90 mm rear is the best I can do... so what about a tri spoke in the front and a 90 mm in the rear? (I think of that as a mullet look) Any ideas, comments?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited April 25, 2020 4:44PM

I have both a 90 and h3 front, and I race most races - except the windiest of courses - with the mullet trispoke front, and disk/808 rear. I love this combination. I believe it is every bit as fast (if not faster) than anything out there up to 7.5 degrees yaw, and apparently this is where it stalls and modern rim shapes excel. But surprisingly, not by a great deal. Tire choice matters, too, and if it’s an old spoke and you run a 19 or 20mm supersonic, you have a VERY fast combo.

Plus they look more badass than anything out there.